He's not a good CEO because he cancels a product that loses millions upon millions of dollars each and every quarter?
    No. He's not a good CEO because he let a fantastic product fail miserably, seemingly without even trying to make it work.

Where was the marketing aside from a horrible superbowl commercial and a few billboards in Canadian airports? Where was the carrier incentive to move the devices? Both questions are rhetorical of course.

BB10 should be considered among the most fantastic failures of the young 21st century (due to BlackBerry's ineptitude). And I say that with a heavy heart. I love BB10.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport 
    11-27-15 10:55 PM
    No. He's not a good CEO because he let a fantastic product fail miserably, seemingly without even trying to make it work.

Where was the marketing aside from a horrible superbowl commercial and a few billboards in Canadian airports? Where was the carrier incentive to move the devices? Both questions are rhetorical of course.

BB10 should be considered among the most fantastic failures of the young 21st century (due to BlackBerry's ineptitude). And I say that with a heavy heart. I love BB10.
    Chen wasn't around for the SB ad or the delayed launch or the incomplete Z10.

Watsa hired Chen to do one thing, which is recover as much money as he can for Watsa and Watsa's own shareholders at Fairfax.

BB10 was already a lost cause by then. Chen's scorecard as a CEO all comes down to how much of a loss Watsa has left to explain to Fairfax shareholders when all is said and done.
    11-27-15 11:07 PM

No, that buck stops at Lazaridis, Balsillie and (primarily) Heins.

Don't blame the janitor for cleaning up the mess...
    11-28-15 07:33 AM
    I realize that the superbowl and the initial launch weren't on his watch. But the other guys are gone. Chen came in and did nothing for BB10. He allowed more devices to launch and didn't try to sell them.

11-28-15 09:44 AM
    I realize that the superbowl and the initial launch weren't on his watch. But the other guys are gone. Chen came in and did nothing for BB10. He allowed more devices to launch and didn't try to sell them.

Chen was hired specifically to change the direction of BlackBerry.

I still believe that, subsequent to his hiring, BB10 was only being sold and marketed to businesses as a delay tactic while software, and later the Priv, were being brought to market.

I do not think for a second that anyone at BlackBerry thought the Classic and Passport would save BB10. My opinion.
    11-28-15 12:44 PM
    How could the classic and passport saved BB?
    The marketshare at that point was what? 2%?

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 03:23 PM
    Mr Chen

Don't listen to the whiners on this forum.

Your job was to make BlackBerry profitable.

You have almost achieved this.

In orderly to survive in the smartphone market, you built an Android device.

Good job. The public seems to like it.

Now you have a base on which to build from along with the software acquisitions.

BB10 is a great OS, unfortunately the public did not take to it. Don't dump it yet. Please continue to improve it.

Posted via CB10
    Dear Mr. Chen,

I feel the same way. I believe you are doing well at what you were hired to do.

Please, do not stop further development of BB10.

I would also like a new all touch BB10 device to replace my...

 Z10 STL 100-3 with vitamin 10.3.2.2639 on AT&T
    11-28-15 07:31 PM
    How could the classic and passport saved BB?
    The marketshare at that point was what? 2%?

Posted via CB10
    That's my point. And BlackBerry was well aware of that before they hired Chen to oversee the change in corporate strategy.
    Last edited by conite; 11-28-15 at 08:06 PM.
    11-28-15 07:35 PM
    What? By adopting Android, they get the OS with its development and they get the entire Android developer ecosystem for free. If they go with BB10 then not only do they have to bear the entire cost of keeping the OS up to date with iOS and Android, but they have to throw money at the ecosystem, also. There's no comparison.
    They bought several companies while all development on BlackBerry 10 has stopped.

I convinced a number of people to buy BlackBerry 10 and download BBM. I'm now thinking to myself, what have I done? This company cares more for its shareholders than their customers. That might have worked when they were the top dog but they are not anymore. The priv has 18 months max before they realize they won't be able to syphon off enough money to give to their shareholders. The Priv is dead.

As much as I have started to dislike Chen, I'm starting to hate myself more for giving this company Patronage and so much positive praise in my social circles over the years. I like BlackBerry 10 but I'm sincerely starting to hate the company.

Thank you and f'/-" you Chen, shareholders and board of directors. Stop hurting yourselves with your idiotic decisions. Have a freaking long term vision for once in the life of this company. Do the decent thing.

Remember when the PlayBook getting BlackBerry 10 was cancelled? I was fine with that. A lot of people weren't though. One of those people was my father who bought it with the knowledge that it was going to get the update. It didn't. He refused to get BlackBerry 10. How many other potential customers did you scare away? Bad faith?

Remember putting the for sale sign up after the release of the Q10? I do. I was upset but it didn't bother me too much at that time. I had faith in you guys. I had faith in the company. However, how many potential customers did you scare away with that move? You hurt your own investment. Whoever made that decision should have their name in the dictionary next to ID I OT.

Remember that time everyone who bought a z10 and a z30 wanted a new all touch z50 device? I do. What did you guys do instead? Release two niche devices that no one asked for. You guys thought the real reason your phones weren't selling was because they didn't have a track pad. I'm laughing at the absurdity. How many new potential customers did you scare away with that move? Might have convinced one OS 7 user to switch. I feel sorry for him. Poor guy doesn't know much about technology and only reason he bought it is because he hates change and his old phone had a battery issue.

When those people on OS 7 looked at the competition though, were they going to go for the new iPhone without a keyboard or go for more of the same with BlackBerry's offerings? Yet, again, a lost opportunity to sell to both established BlackBerry 10 customers and legacy users by not offering Z50 with BlackBerry 10. Would not even take many televised advertisement showing you're right up there with your competitors. Could have not made one acquisition of xyz company to cover the costs. But, no, even you guys don't believe in BlackBerry 10. You just want the company to look good in the event a potential buyers drives by the office. Everyone in this company wants to cash out for a quick buck.

But that was okay. I forgave you. You had a plan, I thought. However, you, again, hurt your own investment. Why spend the money in the first place if you are going to waste all the work you spent it on?

Remember you launched the priv running Android? I certainly do. That was the precise moment I quit forgiving. In fact, that was the moment I quit caring about you or your products. Now that you have successfully alienated every customer who has ever purchased a product from you and every developer who has developed for you, now you can get what you want. Close the device business how many people would be surprised at this policy?

Even one of your biggest fans here is having a hard time forgiving you. No wonder Crackberry Kevin dropped the Crackberry from his name. if I were smarter, I would have seen the writing on the wall sooner too.

Thank you and f##� you. You really do deserve it this time. May BlackBerry 10's fate be your future.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Killjoyhere; 11-28-15 at 08:46 PM.
    11-28-15 08:07 PM
59 123