Hi guys

I love my BlackBerry Z30 and have been using it for about 6months now. When people realise I get the usual response.
    My reason for buying was long term curiosity and I liked the look of BB10. Security was not something that sold me - ok I heard about how secure BlackBerry is.
    Now with android having another flaw I'd like to be able to tempt users and give them the option of using BlackBerry. I can talk of many features but really don't know how I can sell the secure side of things.

So the big question: when people say BlackBerry is secure why exactly do they mean by that? I've read that BlackBerry usage is secure when using BES. But about my day to day not Enterprise usage? How is my decide more secure than my brothers android?

Thanks,
    JP

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 06:06 PM
    BlackBerrys are as secure/insecure as any other smartphone when BES isn't involved.

Posted via C5303
    07-29-15 06:52 PM
    The latest news on Android flaws "Stagefright" talks about a security bridge via just a text.

I have the same question as well, are non-BES BlackBerry susceptible to such exploits?

More on the article http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbr...-text-attacks/

Posted on my white Z10 via CB10
    07-29-15 07:08 PM
    The latest news on Android flaws "Stagefright" talks about a security bridge via just a text.

I have the same question as well, are non-BES BlackBerry susceptible to such exploits?

More on the article Stagefright: It Only Takes One Text To Hack 950 Million Android Phones - Forbes

This specific exploit, no. Is there possible exploits? Maybe. Unless BlackBerry owned 97% of the smartphone market we may never really know, but I highly doubt there are exploits like these in our devices. Security through obscurity maybe? Apple has a good chunk of market share and they have had very few exploits that were plugged swiftly. BlackBerry claims they built BB10 with security first. Nobody else claims that. Either way, on any device, security starts with you.
    Cynycl likes this.
    07-29-15 08:02 PM

More on the article Stagefright: It Only Takes One Text To Hack 950 Million Android Phones - Forbes

If you use an Android messaging app and that app relies on the pre-processing libraries in Android for MMS then yes BB10 users could could be affected. But even the researchers who discovered this exploit haven't demonstrated what can be done on what Android versions ie does the additional security measures in 4.x/5.x make it alot less useful to hackers than in 2.x versions? Supposedly the researchers are going to give more info next week. Google says the real world impact is low but who knows until the exploit is explained in more detail.
    07-29-15 08:24 PM
    This specific exploit, no. Is there possible exploits? Maybe. Unless BlackBerry owned 97% of the smartphone market we may never really know, but I highly doubt there are exploits like these in our devices. Security through obscurity maybe? Apple has a good chunk of market share and they have had very few exploits that were plugged swiftly. BlackBerry claims they built BB10 with security first. Nobody else claims that. Either way, on any device, security starts with you.
    Great post.

And all the sky is falling characters don't know of one single person affected by the reported android security issues. These are discovered by folks funded to find issues. Its not like they found the instructions on the dark web and millions of hackers from some former Russian Province nobody can spell are accessing millions of android phones with said exploits.

Relax people. You're just as vulnerable as you always were and you're just as safe as you believe you are. Regardless of your device

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    early2bed likes this.
    07-29-15 08:27 PM
    Hi guys

I love my BlackBerry Z30 and have been using it for about 6months now. When people realise I get the usual response.
    My reason for buying was long term curiosity and I liked the look of BB10. Security was not something that sold me - ok I heard about how secure BlackBerry is.
    Now with android having another flaw I'd like to be able to tempt users and give them the option of using BlackBerry. I can talk of many features but really don't know how I can sell the secure side of things.

So the big question: when people say BlackBerry is secure why exactly do they mean by that? I've read that BlackBerry usage is secure when using BES. But about my day to day not Enterprise usage? How is my decide more secure than my brothers android?

Thanks,
    JP

Posted via CB10
    As I said here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=11822698

Security is too broad an issue to try to discuss without being specific. If you want to engage people on security you need to engage them on a topic that is important to them. Unfortunately what is important to IT professionals concerned about security is quite different from what concerns the "ordinary" person, as you can see from the research linked below.

There are also lots of people who don't know how things work but are still willing to state an opinion no matter how badly informed. The StageFright vulnerability was found by a simple examination of the source code. Data buffers were allocated one byte too small allowing for buffer overflow and the exploit. Are the guys that reported this the first to find it, or just have first to report it? How many others have found it and exploited it? Would a victim ever really know they had been hacked?

http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot...urity.html?m=1

Based on looking at this research, and what I read around CB on a daily basis you aren't going to change anyone's mind about security of their phone.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    07-29-15 09:14 PM