I don't mean to burst any bubbles but considering 10.2 is probably the most anticipated update since 10.0, I can't see or hear any reference to "mobile computing".

When do you think we'll see a glimpse of the vision that is supposed to be Mobile Computing?

So far everything points towards customizations and making things easier and playing catch up , and even after the update that's apparently "amazing", android phones are still more deeper in mobile computing (usb otg) than blackberry10.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 02:34 PM
    I think they still need more devices that integrate with QNX/BB10 to really start to see it. So far I agree Im not seeing the "global computing" aspect and how its advanced over the competition.
    Carterbits likes this.
    08-05-13 02:41 PM
    You're right they're still playing catch-up and probably will for a while before people will take them seriously. Until then "mobile computing" is nothing but a dream IMO.
    08-05-13 03:17 PM
    I've heard it's much more integrated with qnx cars. Somebody is posting on here about it.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 07:42 PM
    Miracast is a step in the right direction, the thread that suggested a dummy tablet that had a built in Miracast receiver makes sense. We'll see though.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 07:45 PM
    Miracast is a step in the right direction, the thread that suggested a dummy tablet that had a built in Miracast receiver makes sense. We'll see though.

Posted via CB10
    Dumb tablets are a dumb idea. Thorsten is delusional if he thinks full-capability tablets are not an essential part of the "mobile computing" experience. BlackBerry needs a true believer at the helm not a Steve Jobs wannabe.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    08-05-13 08:46 PM
    Dumb tablets are a dumb idea. Thorsten is delusional if he thinks full-capability tablets are not an essential part of the "mobile computing" experience. BlackBerry needs a true believer at the helm not a Steve Jobs wannabe.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    If a dummy tablet can do the exact something a regular tablet can do, why is a full tablet necessary?

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 09:06 PM
    If a dummy tablet can do the exact something a regular tablet can do, why is a full tablet necessary?

Posted via CB10
    a dummy tablet cant do anything...thats kinda the point. It would only be a monitor to the phone is what most people are envisioning.
    Saiga likes this.
    08-05-13 09:18 PM
    But is there anything the phone can't do that a tablet can do? Obviously the tablet would be touch screen.

I'm not trying to sound like a fan boy, I just can't think of anything that my tablet can do that my phone can't.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 09:25 PM
    The advantage is having everything in one place. All of your content and files are there.

With cloud storage and web browsers like Chrome that sync a lot of content across devices, the value or uniqueness of one-device-does-all may be diminished.

We will have to see on that point.

I hate to keep harping on this, but if BlackBerry means to create a real mobile computing solution, they absolutely need a better office suite.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 10:15 PM
    My Z10, on the latest 10.2 leak, struggles to play music and surf the Internet at the same time.

I hate to think what the performance would be like trying to do anything significant on a passive tablet being powered by my Z10, while using the Z10 for anything else.

I sorta think that BlackBerry launched BB10 waaaaay before they had the hardware in their "mobile computing platform" even done being drawn up.

When/if the vision is realized, I doubt that Z10 or Q10 phones will have much more than token roles to play...

Disclaimer: I am not a licensed prognosticator. My crystal ball is one of the cheap acrylic varieties ;-)
    Last edited by Carterbits; 08-06-13 at 08:24 AM.
    08-05-13 11:55 PM
    USB OTG should be available in 10.2 (as seen in cascades roadmap). May be someone can verify that?
    08-06-13 07:04 AM
    USB OTG should be available in 10.2 (as seen in cascades roadmap). May be someone can verify that?
    I read somewhere on here even if BB10 supports USB OTG, the current hardware doesn't, if someone can verify both points that would be great.
    08-06-13 07:49 AM
    I read somewhere on here even if BB10 supports USB OTG, the current hardware doesn't, if someone can verify both points that would be great.
    The Nexus 4's hardware doesn't support USB OTG either. Yet we can still use it with a powered cable and a special kernel. Can't do it with 4.3 yet though

So there might still be hope.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    08-06-13 10:50 AM
    Ubuntu Edge...

Posted Via Z10STL100-1/10.2.0.1047
    08-06-13 11:08 AM
    Maybe there is a desktop o's that will boot when plugged in to the right type of dock? Which we haven't seen yet?

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 03:08 PM
    Not sure what USB OTG that has to do with mobile computing as Thor has articulated it. That would really need Bus Host mode. Luckily that is what is on the 10.2 road map.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 03:25 PM
    Not sure what USB OTG that has to do with mobile computing as Thor has articulated it. That would really need Bus Host mode. Luckily that is what is on the 10.2 road map.

Posted via CB10
    USB OTG host mode is incredibly useful on mobile devices. For example, you can backup, restore, unlock and root a Android smartphone using nothing but another Android smartphone. Or you can plug your DSLR into your smartphone and use your phone to control the camera. Or simply just transferring files from on device to another device that doesn't have a internet connection such as GPS units. You could actually do that last one wirelessly, just connect a Ant + dongle to your phone and your GPS and smartphone can communicate with each other.

Functions like those have been available for Android for years now. It is difeinetly more useful than BlackBerry's version of mobile computing. Which at this point is still nothing.

TH can keep preaching about mobile computing all he wants, but as it stands now, BlackBerry should just focus on trying to catch up to what Gingerbread devices were doing two years ago.

To be honest, I'd rather TH just stop talking about mobile computing unless he has something to actually show that doesn't involve yet another $300,000 luxury automobile. But as we all know, that won't happen. I am sure a team of people are working on a new car right now that we can't buy and he'll keep on using his new catch phrase in the hopes that people will believe they have something special in the works.

imz and Afourtrackmind like this.
    08-06-13 03:39 PM
    USB OTG host mode is incredibly useful on mobile devices. For example, you can backup, restore, unlock and root a Android smartphone using nothing but another Android smartphone. Or you can plug your DSLR into your smartphone and use your phone to control the camera. Or simply just transferring files from on device to another device that doesn't have a internet connection such as GPS units. You could actually do that last one wirelessly, just connect a Ant + dongle to your phone and your GPS and smartphone can communicate with each other.

Functions like those have been available for Android for years now. It is difeinetly more useful than BlackBerry's version of mobile computing. Which at this point is still nothing.

Which android would be the best for mobile computing at this point? I know that samsung has a usb \ HDMi dock that looked good. Is sony or any others this advanced?
    08-06-13 03:52 PM
    My Z10, on the latest 10.2 leak, struggles to play music and surf the Internet at the same time.

I hate to think what the performance would be like trying to do anything significant on a passive tablet being powered by my Z10, while using the Z10 for anything else.

I sorta think that BlackBerry launched BB10 waaaaay before they had the hardware in their "mobile computing platform" even done being drawn up.

When/if the vision is realized, I doubt that Z10 or Q10 phones will have much more than token roles to play...

Disclaimer: I am not a licensed prognosticator. My crystal ball is one of the cheap acrylic varieties ;-)
    That is because you made the assumption that TH was referring to the current hardware when he is in fact talking down the road, way down the road. Your z10 will be 3 - 5 years old before we see this vision come to light. By then we will be on the 3rd or 4th generation bb10 devices. (if BB survives)
    08-06-13 06:10 PM
    That is because you made the assumption that TH was referring to the current hardware when he is in fact talking down the road, way down the road. Your z10 will be 3 - 5 years old before we see this vision come to light. By then we will be on the 3rd or 4th generation bb10 devices. (if BB survives)
    Then why not release something now?
    Just one product to show the capabilities of the future.
    A dumb tablet, a media device, a bb10 power extender (more ram and cpu wirelessly), anything.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 06:34 PM
    A dumb tablet, a media device, a bb10 power extender (more ram and cpu wirelessly), anything.

Posted via CB10
    they need to sell phones first. until they can sell phones are good levels and BB10 takes off its going to be hard to get people to adopt their other adventures that require those said phones.
    08-06-13 07:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    They tried that with BlackBerry bridge to the playbook.

Posted from my ??????
    08-06-13 07:25 PM
    True.
    If you compare the USB port on the BlackBerry Z10 (or any other BB OS phone) and the Playbook. You will notice that the playbook had a different USB port. The playbook actually has USB OTG hardware, but no official hardware. None of the phones have the USB OTG hardware. Yet.....

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 07:32 PM
    they need to sell phones first. until they can sell phones are good levels and BB10 takes off its going to be hard to get people to adopt their other adventures that require those said phones.
    Isn't that the catch 22?
    People aren't buying phones as there isn't any uniqueness or other companion devices or ecosystem to go along with them.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 08:50 PM
29 12