Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Xopher
  • 1 Post By chrysaurora
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Miracast, APT-X (bluetooth codec), NFC?

1. Does BlackBerry 10 support Miracast or Intel WiDi 3.5 for (HD quality) screen mirroring? Similar to Airplay Mirroring. I think latest Android build supports Miracast or WiDi based screen mirroring.

2. So far, it seems like BlackBerry 10 does not have APT-X codec support for streaming lossless bluetooth audio. It seems like it'll use a2dp (sbc codec) profile for streaming music. Are there plans to support apt-x codec based bluetooth audio streaming? Maybe by an OS update?

3. CIBC bank launched NFC based credit-card app. But it requires a special NFC enabled SIM Card AND BlackBerry 9900 device. But BlackBerry 9900 already has NFC. So, why is this special NFC sim required? If that is the case, does this mean, that BlackBerry 10 devices will also require purchase of a special NFC enabled SIM Card?
    Dear BlackBerry,
    UPGRADE existing users to BB 10. Don't want to price devices too low? Start a 'trade-up' program. Let existing BB users exchange their old (even non-working) devices for new BB10. Eg: Old BlackBerry + $250 = Z10 This way, you won't have to officially lower your MSRP.

IMPLEMENT requests in order (most requested to least): http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...50/index9.html
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by chrysaurora View Post
    2. So far, it seems like BlackBerry 10 does not have APT-X codec support for streaming lossless bluetooth audio. It seems like it'll use a2dp (sbc codec) profile for streaming music. [B]Are there plans to support apt-x codec based bluetooth audio streaming? Maybe by an OS update?
    I brought this up in another thread, and hopefully we'll have our answer on January 30th. I'm not holding my breath though, and I have my eye on the Jaybird BlueBudsX for some (supposedly) good sounding earphones through only A2DP. The problem I see is that the market isn't demanding Apt-x because few people know about it. It's a feature not talked about on the Motorola RAZR series, HTC One series and Samsung. Hopefully Apple will have it on their next iPhone and market it as the greatest thing since toilet paper. For now, stereo bluetooth itself is uncommon. The vast majority of people use wired earbuds (stock earbuds even, can you imagine?!).
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    I brought this up in another thread, and hopefully we'll have our answer on January 30th. I'm not holding my breath though, and I have my eye on the Jaybird BlueBudsX for some (supposedly) good sounding earphones through only A2DP. The problem I see is that the market isn't demanding Apt-x because few people know about it. It's a feature not talked about on the Motorola RAZR series, HTC One series and Samsung. Hopefully Apple will have it on their next iPhone and market it as the greatest thing since toilet paper. For now, stereo bluetooth itself is uncommon. The vast majority of people use wired earbuds (stock earbuds even, can you imagine?!).
    True. But maybe people aren't using a2dp Bluetooth because it doesn't so good, often loses connection and so on. Plus, quality Bluetooth headphones are kinda expensive. Jaybird BlueBudsX are $169! If more devices supported Apt-X codec, people would start using Bluetooth headphones as it'd provide you similar quality as a wired headphone. And if more people start using Bluetooth headphones, the prices will come down (economies of scale).

Anyway, even if Apt-X is not available at launch, I hope BB 10 can support Apt-X codec with simple software update.
    Dear BlackBerry,
    UPGRADE existing users to BB 10. Don't want to price devices too low? Start a 'trade-up' program. Let existing BB users exchange their old (even non-working) devices for new BB10. Eg: Old BlackBerry + $250 = Z10 This way, you won't have to officially lower your MSRP.

IMPLEMENT requests in order (most requested to least): http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...50/index9.html
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

Default Re: Miracast, APT-X (bluetooth codec), NFC?

1. Does BlackBerry 10 support Miracast or Intel WiDi 3.5 for (HD quality) screen mirroring? Similar to Airplay Mirroring. I think latest Android build supports Miracast or WiDi based screen mirroring.
    From what has been seen so far, it looks like BB10 has DNLA support built in. This could be used for wireless streaming. There hasn't been any word yet on Miracast support. Android added Miracast compatibility to version 4.2, but not all Android devices running 4.2 are compatible. It's not listed in the required specs, but so far, only Android devices with dual wifi antennas have Miracast included.

2. So far, it seems like BlackBerry 10 does not have APT-X codec support for streaming lossless bluetooth audio. It seems like it'll use a2dp (sbc codec) profile for streaming music. Are there plans to support apt-x codec based bluetooth audio streaming? Maybe by an OS update?
    I haven't heard anything about APT-X support, although A2DP is already included.

3. CIBC bank launched NFC based credit-card app. But it requires a special NFC enabled SIM Card AND BlackBerry 9900 device. But BlackBerry 9900 already has NFC. So, why is this special NFC sim required? If that is the case, does this mean, that BlackBerry 10 devices will also require purchase of a special NFC enabled SIM Card?
    This is something that CIBC did with their app. The app requires the NFC-enabled SIM. This will probably not carry over to other apps, and isn't a BlackBerry requirement. It's up to CIBC to continue or remove the requirement if/when they update to BB10.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    chrysaurora likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

1. DLNA is good. It's also in BB OS 7.1 but wireless display is even better. I hope they include Wirless HDMI (WiDI or Miracast, similar to Airplay Screen Mirroring).

2. APT-X codec would be very nice. In CES this year, I am noticing more and more Bluetooth speakers are being released with support for APT-X codecs. Need the transmitting device (BB 10 smartphone) to support it too. If it's just a software update, I am sure RIM will add it at some point. But if it requires some specific hardware, I don't know if BB10 L (z10) or N (x10) have that hardware. I guess, we'll find out by Jan 30.

3. CIBC requiring NFC enabled SIM card - I see. Thanks. I am told that other carieers are also working on releasing that SIM card. I heard Bell or Telus plan to launch that by April.
    Dear BlackBerry,

CrackBerry Genius

True. But maybe people aren't using a2dp Bluetooth because it doesn't so good, often loses connection and so on. Plus, quality Bluetooth headphones are kinda expensive. Jaybird BlueBudsX are $169! If more devices supported Apt-X codec, people would start using Bluetooth headphones as it'd provide you similar quality as a wired headphone. And if more people start using Bluetooth headphones, the prices will come down (economies of scale).
    The A2DP headphones have been much improved over the years. The first one I used was the Plantronics Voyager 855. It had okay sound quality, but it also had a hard time keeping a consistent signal when I was outside, walking about. Fast forward about two years later and I'm now using the Plantronics Backbeat Go (I did use several other brands and models in between) and the sound quality is significantly improved over the 855, and the signal hardly ever cuts out anymore, even though it's a much smaller unit. Hopefully we'll see more widespread adoption so that we'd see more selection and lower prices as you mentioned. However, the headphone selection here in Vancouver is pretty brutal...
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,981 Global Posts
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by khehl View Post
    This is just fantastic! Would love to get Miracast/WifiDirect.
    Will it work on existing hardware (Z10 and Q10) ? I mean, do Z10/Q10 have necessary radios for utilizing Wifi-Direct/WiDi/Miracast?
    Dear BlackBerry,

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    919 Global Posts

This is just fantastic! Would love to get Miracast/WifiDirect.
    Will it work on existing hardware (Z10 and Q10) ? I mean, do Z10/Q10 have necessary radios for utilizing Wifi-Direct/WiDi/Miracast?
    Yeah of course as they will be upgradable to 10.2
    Z10STL1003 OS 10.2.1.2947
    Curious? Follow me @theonecid
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by theonecid View Post
    Yeah of course as they will be upgradable to 10.2
    All devices will be upgradable to 10.2 but it depends if underlying hardware exists. For instance, you can upgrade Z10 to 10.1 but that doesn't give it a keyboard - the hardware keyboard simply does not exist.

Similarly, you would be able to upgrade Q5 to 10.1, 10.2 and so on but that won't magically give it an HDMI port. It just does not exist.

So, my question was - does anyone know if Z10 and Q10 have the hardware (radio) to take advantage of Miracast capabilities? I think they do but I am not sure. If they do, it'd be just fantastic. Being able to mirror my phone screen on large screen TV is just going to be fantastic! Loving it.

This has been in my wishlist from the get go! Awesome stuff.

Support for Apt-X bluetooth codec will be welcome too! Then I'd be able to listen to high-quality (higher bitrate) music via my bluetooth headset!
    Dear BlackBerry,

Masahiro likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,122 Global Posts

Is the screen mirroring shown below accomplished with Miracast? If so this is a cool thing to look forward to.

CrackBerry User

Default miracast and new playbook

according to a reply posted elsewhere, a new tablet will support miracast.

Opinion: BlackBerry Needs a PlayBook 2, Must Reverse Decision | US Daily Voice