If the grand experiment of Blackberry to form a complete ecosystem ends up coming up short ( which I hope it doesn't). I personally think an alliance with Microsoft could be one of the best things that could happen to ensure their long term survival. MS isn't exactly tearing it up with Windows Phone. Their Surface RT has been a disaster (see today's ZDNET article). I think Blackberry has already demonstrated their ability to play nice with other technologies like Android. It would not be a stretch to see them able to find a way to work together with MS products and software. Could you imagine the synergies with platforms like the Xbox One if somehow they arranged some way to work together? With QNX at the core, I can see a lot of possibilities. Of course, I am no programmer and probably don't appreciate the complexities of something like that, but I still think it would be an very cool alliance in the face of Apple, Google, and Samsung. MS would get an even bigger foothold in the mobile business sector, and Blackberry would immediately gain a whole new level of trust and a large user base. Love to hear what people think.
    07-19-13 02:07 PM
    An arrangement with Microsoft would probably mean BB becomes an OEM (basically, Nokia II) running Windows 8 (because I sure as hell don't see Microsoft getting into the phone hardware game, or adopting BB10 over WP8.)

I'd be more in favor of BB licensing its OS to another well established OEM with distribution, management, reputation for quality, etc. already in place. Sony is a favorite in these forums.
    07-19-13 02:13 PM
    They are open to licence bb10 not to pay a licence fee for an another one. My 2 cents

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 02:15 PM
    Yup on that, Sony would be a great partner to catapult BB in the marketplace, maybe get Kodak in there too, to have 3 legs on that stool for stability ;-). Maybe get Dell involved too, to get 'build per spec' devices out the door in a hurry. Viewing the spec war issue, maybe this could resolve some of that, by creating a 'build per spec' device stream. Let those who want the higher specs, say in their camera, let them add it to the device, and pay for it, same with cpu, memory, etc.
    maranr and paper_monkey like this.
    07-19-13 02:22 PM
    No way *lol*

If BlackBerry can manage to get some apps from *MS* like maps, skype (native),... would be great, but no way BlackBerry will adopt WP8 or MS will use QNX as their mobile OS!

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 02:24 PM
    MS is not in a hurry. They've got deep enough pockets that they can take losses until things pick up and it looks like it is already getting more exposure. If it were to happen, BBRY would be better off connecting with a hardware maker that doesn't have their own OS.
    07-19-13 02:27 PM
    I guess since MS is in the OS business, adopting QNX would be an admission of failure in the mobile arena. Makes sense. I just don't see MS getting too far into the mobile business with their current strategy and BB with their comparatively limited resources to compete with Apple and Samsung in the long term. I personally think they have to make some sort of big move to put them into a better position.
    07-19-13 02:36 PM
    Ya so true. They did a good job with the Xbox over time. Started out a huge underdog, ending up on top.
    07-19-13 02:42 PM
    Yup on that, Sony would be a great partner to catapult BB in the marketplace, maybe get Kodak in there too, to have 3 legs on that stool for stability ;-). Maybe get Dell involved too, to get 'build per spec' devices out the door in a hurry. Viewing the spec war issue, maybe this could resolve some of that, by creating a 'build per spec' device stream. Let those who want the higher specs, say in their camera, let them add it to the device, and pay for it, same with cpu, memory, etc.
    I think this is an interesting concept to look into... only thing that concerns me is the viability of proper support for the devices themselves... I thin kwe would run into issues of OS updates breaking certain configurations of device (not to mention what damage the carrier bloatware could inflict). It certainly works for computers and I suspect that if the OS was a little less locked down tot he end user that this model might thrive a little better.

I can't lie though, the thought of going out and buying a speaker and camera upgrade for my phone, opening up the case and swapping it out myself is strangely appealing. It may make the base prices a little higher but let the set it and forget it crowd run it out of the box, the mildly adventures folk (like me) could replace componants as they become outdated or broken and the advanced crowd could get into overclocking and the like (not that they don't already) but if the ecosystem were similar to that of the basic PC distribution model, it might make for a very different Cell experience for the slightly above average phone user...
    BB10QNX likes this.
    07-19-13 02:43 PM
    True, it would indeed completely alter the cell experience and open many doors for creativity.

As far as your first paragraph, maybe much of that could be taken care of in the build process, or the OS could be PnP to recognize what hardware is in the device to know what to load/support? And during order, the carrier and location is selected, and the correct (carrier approved) 'radio install' is provided. Surely, those with the knowledge, could brainstorm it all out and make it happen ;-). A BB, Sony, Kodak, Dell partnership could certainly make it happen. As well, carriers would have to become a part of this process to ensure a proper OS update stream.

Dev's can then go all out, and provide system requirements for their creations.
    Last edited by BB10QNX; 07-19-13 at 03:16 PM.
    07-19-13 03:05 PM