Hi there,

after buying a playbook a few weeks back I saw the playbook Z10 interaction and thought I get a Z10 ...

however, coming from an android phone, I have various apps which are not available on the Z10 or BB10 at all starting of with

personal banking (RBS UK)
    ebay
    amazon
    paypal
    viber
    whatsapp

I knew there would be limitations but feeling kind of disconnected now from my global friends, so I wondered what other people are using for this ... I tried side-loading a few apps but couldnt find any replacements for viber or whatsapp or working versions of either app..

cheers
    r4n
    02-17-13 12:40 PM
    Personally, I never used any of those. The only real messaging I do is solved with the Hub for email and BBM and sideloaded Steam.
    02-17-13 12:48 PM
    Personally, I never used any of those. The only real messaging I do is solved with the Hub for email and BBM and sideloaded Steam.
    thanks for this, well as most of my contacts dont have a BBRY device BBM isnt possible and steam (do you mean the gaming community app)? Interestingly it seems that all my missed apps are available for older devices so maybe its just the support from those companies that isnt working properly to update their apps for newer devices quickly enough ...
    02-17-13 01:03 PM
    thanks for this, well as most of my contacts dont have a BBRY device BBM isnt possible and steam (do you mean the gaming community app)? Interestingly it seems that all my missed apps are available for older devices so maybe its just the support from those companies that isnt working properly to update their apps for newer devices quickly enough ...
    Yeah, the Steam Community app converted to .bar is what I meant. Everyone I have to talk to is on some combination of email, BBM, Steam and/or Facebook.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 01:27 PM
    Whatsapp will come soon. Viber I haven't heard but there's probably an Android app that could be side loaded until a crappy port comes (wouldn't hold my breath for native on that one) .

For all of the other apps you have listed, I ask, "WHY???"

The Z10 has an amazing browser and LTE. All of those services have mobile web sites that are just as, if not more, functional as any app.

With more and more mobile platforms coming on stream (WP8, BB10, Firefox, Ubuntu) we are going to see less and less in the way of dedicated apps and more and better web apps.

Why on Earth does anyone need an eBay or Amazon app??? Have you seen their mobile sites??? And if your bank doesn't have a decent mobile site, I would suggest that it is time to find a new bank.

Posted via CB10
    RECOOL likes this.
    02-17-13 03:43 PM
    Hi there,

after buying a playbook a few weeks back I saw the playbook Z10 interaction and thought I get a Z10 ...

however, coming from an android phone, I have various apps which are not available on the Z10 or BB10 at all starting of with

personal banking (RBS UK)
    ebay
    amazon
    paypal

viber
    whatsapp

I knew there would be limitations but feeling kind of disconnected now from my global friends, so I wondered what other people are using for this ... I tried side-loading a few apps but couldnt find any replacements for viber or whatsapp or working versions of either app..

cheers
    r4n
    I use the bold on desktop bigger screen,less prone to errors ,no bull**** pinch to zoo,scrolling crap ,full view of terms and all that.I'll see hwo it is on the Z but pretty sure i'll be on desktop eventually.I had whatsapp I only got it cause IOS users wanted to message me BBM style that failed.Orange users are notoriously slow at replying notifications/messages in my experience.The app barely sent messages on time it got so bad that we ended up texting making calls near enough everytime + the battery drain this app did ahh cant have that n the Z.Phones still ring and text and are crossplatform whats app dont bother me.

Never used viber.No comment.

Apps as a whole should end soon. There's very little need for the mass off apps.The youtube app we got on the Z is like html/app fusion I actually like it , its great.This is the future most apps use the web anyway doing coding for each platform is dumb when you can deploy it on the web.Where every phone user gets it no extra coding buidling apps.You gain even more usersf rom different platforms.

Only functonality tools should be apps like flashlights,sync software,editors,games,fancy trans,video chat,msg,dlna.Social media where you upload pics should not be apps.The fact its on X platform when its not an exclusive defeats the purpose of being social.You want more users no??

I think web apps need to be pushed out some more its just the way forward it seems and its for the better of consumers.
    02-17-13 05:06 PM
    The Z10 has an amazing browser and LTE. All of those services have mobile web sites that are just as, if not more, functional as any app.

With more and more mobile platforms coming on stream (WP8, BB10, Firefox, Ubuntu) we are going to see less and less in the way of dedicated apps and more and better web apps.

Why on Earth does anyone need an eBay or Amazon app??? Have you seen their mobile sites??? And if your bank doesn't have a decent mobile site, I would suggest that it is time to find a new bank.

Posted via CB10
    because native apps almost always offer a better mobile experience than the browser. I have been hearing the "why not just use the browser" argument for years (starting with Steve Jobs). Until the browser can interface with my contact list, calendar, camera roll, notifications, etc., native apps will be a far better experience.
    02-17-13 08:17 PM
    because native apps almost always offer a better mobile experience than the browser. I have been hearing the "why not just use the browser" argument for years (starting with Steve Jobs). Until the browser can interface with my contact list, calendar, camera roll, notifications, etc., native apps will be a far better experience.
    For some apps yes. I'm just saying don't hold your breath for apps that don't need to be apps. They're not gonna come. If I am Royal Bank, I'm not gonna make 6 different apps for every platform out there when I could put that money into a terrific mobile web page.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 01:16 PM