Kitchener waives city policy for RIM's BlackBerry 10 launch - Technology & Science - CBC News

One holdout,lol. Some people I tell ya,lol.
    http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...-city-property

Skating,hot chocolate,celebration, on RIM's dime,what's the issue. Seems to me this is a low key community event,yet one sour puss,lol.

Blackberry branded cookies,yum.
    Last edited by TomJasper; 01-17-13 at 06:43 PM.
    01-17-13 06:28 PM
    Wow did you read the article?

This is a good thing.
    01-17-13 06:33 PM
    theres always at least one negative nancy in the bunch... gazzola is a goof
    01-17-13 06:38 PM
    01-17-13 07:10 PM
    In some respects yes but this story has gone nation wide just a few hours ago, with added info from RIM.
    Maybe somebody can merge the threads with various links intact ie. Blackberry cookies,yum
    01-17-13 07:23 PM
    Well, rules are rules. If they let RIM, McDonalds can come tomorrow and say, "hey, you let RIM, why can't we do that too?".
    Give that councillor a break.

I love RIM and all, advertising within the city itself isn't that big of a deal. It's more celebratory than to get Public Interest. But now that this councillor voted against it, it made a big newsline splash and now everyone knows about it.
    01-17-13 07:53 PM
    Well, rules are rules. If they let RIM, McDonalds can come tomorrow and say, "hey, you let RIM, why can't we do that too?".
    Give that councillor a break.

I love RIM and all, advertising within the city itself isn't that big of a deal. It's more celebratory than to get Public Interest. But now that this councillor voted against it, it made a big newsline splash and now everyone knows about it.
    Big difference between RIM and McDonalds in Waterloo, one provides $6 an hour jobs and the other made it the centre of technical innovation in Canada.
    bluetroll likes this.
    01-17-13 09:16 PM
    All my life people have said to me "If we do that for one person, we have to do it for everybody!"

My response has always been: no, you don't.

I've never had anyone successfully win that argument with me yet... ;-)
    01-17-13 09:25 PM
    ^^^ McDonalds hasn't put a Billion+ dollars back into our community over the past 10+ years like RIM, it's founders and employees have. No one else has.
    Gazzola's not helping his political career with his latest decision.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-17-13 09:31 PM
    ^^^ McDonalds hasn't put a Billion+ dollars back into our community over the past 10+ years like RIM, it's founders and employees have. No one else has.
    Gazzola's not helping his political career with his latest decision.
    All my life people have said to me "If we do that for one person, we have to do it for everybody!"
    Big difference between RIM and McDonalds in Waterloo, one provides $6 an hour jobs and the other made it the centre of technical innovation in Canada.
    Tell that to a lawyer.
    01-17-13 10:14 PM
    Tell that to a lawyer.
    Council doesn't always get it right (e.g. LRT) but they did this time. Ask the people in the community and I am sure the majority will tell you it's ok or they fully support councils decision on this one.

Every other business in the community can benefit from a successful RIM as well. I doubt there will be complaints.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-17-13 10:31 PM
    Council doesn't always get it right (e.g. LRT) but they did this time. Ask the people in the community and I am sure the majority will tell you it's ok or they fully support councils decision on this one.

Every other business in the community can benefit from a successful RIM as well. I doubt there will be complaints.
    I'm not saying whether the choice was right or not. I'm simply saying that one lone councillor had just reason to vote against it.

Look at Rob Ford (Mayor of Toronto), he's still being haunted by a vote he made, all over a case of $3000-$4000 of donations that was to go to a football team. This in some people's mind is "charity", to the lawyer who and the judge who presided, he was breaking the law. (Not the same situation, but it's about going against a law, or rules that were put in place.)

Now, lets end this political discussion and will someone post a picture of what RIM put up! :P
    01-17-13 10:55 PM
    Look at Rob Ford (Mayor of Toronto), he's still being haunted by a vote he made, all over a case of $3000-$4000 of donations that was to go to a football team. This in some people's mind is "charity", to the lawyer who and the judge who presided, he was breaking the law. (Not the same situation, but it's about going against a law, or rules that were put in place.)
    The issue that really got him in trouble wasn't the $3K, it was the fact that he participated in the discussion and vote about it afterwards, which was a clear conflict of interest. (That's a simple fact, which anyone who actually understands what conflict of interest means would agree with, so please don't take it as a biased or political statement.)

But I agree: let's see some pictures!
    01-18-13 08:34 AM
    I'm not saying whether the choice was right or not. I'm simply saying that one lone councillor had just reason to vote against it.

Now, lets end this political discussion and will someone post a picture of what RIM put up! :P
    Agreed.

I will post some pics as soon as I start seeing banners, etc.. I work downtown Kitchener and live close to RIM HQ so I should start seeing things the day they are raised.
    01-18-13 08:56 AM
    Tell that to a lawyer.
    Do you know what a lawyer does? You think McDonalds would sue? What damages has McDonalds suffered from the council decision?

You can't just run up to council and scream "lawyered" and get your way.
    01-18-13 09:54 AM

Nice! I've used that also, watching their eyes gloss over is priceless!
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-18-13 10:13 AM
    Do you know what a lawyer does? You think McDonalds would sue? What damages has McDonalds suffered from the council decision?

You can't just run up to council and scream "lawyered" and get your way.
    I think Andrew4life was implying that if McDonalds asked the city to hang Big Mac banners around the city (for example) and the city said "No" then there would be lawyers involved. He's probably right.
    01-18-13 10:14 AM
    If it were not for RIM, KW would not be half the city it is now. Everyone else can get stuffed......I support this decision. KW should celebrate everything RIM, and what that company has afforded this city
    bluetroll likes this.
    01-18-13 10:21 AM
    If it were not for RIM, KW would not be half the city it is now. Everyone else can get stuffed......I support this decision. KW should celebrate everything RIM, and what that company has afforded this city
    KW was pretty well off before RIM and would be ok if RIM was someday gone.
    That said, most of us in KW agree and I'm sure council felt that would be the case otherwise they would be getting reamed right now.
    BTW, we (KW) are still two citIES, not a city .
    01-18-13 11:11 AM
    KW was pretty well off before RIM and would be ok if RIM was someday gone.
    That said, most of us in KW agree and I'm sure council felt that would be the case otherwise they would be getting reamed right now.
    BTW, we (KW) are still two citIES, not a city .
    Not when you consider the exit of BF Goodrich, Budd Auto and Uniroyal to just name a couple. The decline of ATS, and teh loss of Meikle. Had RIM not come along, you might be able to well imagine what the state of this city would be. If it weren't for RIM, you wouldn't see Google or Open Text here....Let alone the perimeter institure.

KW'ites owe RIM

I know its two cities, But I view it as one. I grew up in Waterloo, and now reside in Kitchener. The boarders are blurred for me both literally and figuratively
    01-18-13 11:40 AM
    Not when you consider the exit of BF Goodrich, Budd Auto and Uniroyal to just name a couple. The decline of ATS, and teh loss of Meikle. Had RIM not come along, you might be able to well imagine what the state of this city would be. If it weren't for RIM, you wouldn't see Google or Open Text here....Let alone the perimeter institure.

KW'ites owe RIM

I know its two cities, But I view it as one. I grew up in Waterloo, and now reside in Kitchener. The boarders are blurred for me both literally and figuratively
    I lived in Kitchener and now in Waterloo. I can appreciate the fact many local jobs where lost when those (some US) companies bailed out of town or shut down. ATS blew up way to fast when it went public (my wife and bro-in-law worked there years ago). Those lost manufacturing jobs where not picked up at RIM. The hit on our local economy was somewhat alleviated, by RIMs success though, and I think that's what you are getting at.

It's time for the cities to amalgamate - but that's another thread on another forum.

All that said...we both strongly agree that council is doing the right thing by letting RIM (who is footing the bill for everything they do here) celebrate (i.e. promote) the release of BB10 by having a big freaking party.
    01-18-13 11:56 AM
    I lived in Kitchener and now in Waterloo. I can appreciate the fact many local jobs where lost when those (some US) companies bailed out of town or shut down. ATS blew up way to fast when it went public (my wife and bro-in-law worked there years ago). Those lost manufacturing jobs where not picked up at RIM. The hit on our local economy was somewhat alleviated, by RIMs success though, and I think that's what you are getting at.

It's time for the cities to amalgamate - but that's another thread on another forum.

All that said...we both strongly agree that council is doing the right thing by letting RIM (who is footing the bill for everything they do here) celebrate (i.e. promote) the release of BB10 by having a big freaking party.
    You are correct, that is what I'm getting at, and we do agree ....Council is doing the right thing. I often shutter thou, what it would be like here if not for RIM.

I'm sure only the iFolks will not agree with Council.....I bet if you check Gazzola uses iOS ...LOL
    01-18-13 11:59 AM
    You are correct, that is what I'm getting at, and we do agree ....Council is doing the right thing. I often shutter thou, what it would be like here if not for RIM.

I'm sure only the iFolks will not agree with Council.....I bet if you check Gazzola uses iOS ...LOL
    I'm glad we will never know.
    As I mentioned, somewhere above in this thread, Gazzola quite possibly just crippled his future political career in our Region.
    01-18-13 12:04 PM