Maroc Telecom, the first morocco's telecommunications providers forces the BlackBerry 10 users to pay this BIS fees to have BBM and BlackBerry Protect.
    Consumers have to pay 240 dhs (30 US$) to get BIS or just BBM on BlackBerry 10 phones...

How could we force Maroc Telecom to respect BlackBerry users ?!

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    12-27-14 07:12 PM
    What if you use normal data plan just like android is it work?

BlackBerry Passport
    12-27-14 07:16 PM
    BlackBerry 10 does not require bis so try getting a sim for an iPhone or Android and it should work fine

Posted via CB10
    Sime0n_S likes this.
    12-27-14 07:19 PM
    It does need BB plan still, if not he will indeed don't have access to BBM and such (no BB services)

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 07:23 PM
    Yass (Yassine?) I would do as ymb has suggested get a SIM for iPhone or Android and put it in your BlackBerry 10 device.

If they say anything about BBM tell them you are using it on your iPhone. Don't tell them you are using BB 10 phone.
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    12-27-14 07:26 PM
    I've seen carriers enforce certain rules even without bis. Rogers enforced bbm video to be a paid service (wouldn't even work on wifi!), and also Bell bb10 devices at first launch would only work with certain data plans (they eventually backed off this policy and removed that restriction I believe). So I'm not so sure being on an android/iPhone data plan will work. Definitely worth trying though.
    12-27-14 07:44 PM
    It does need BB plan still, if not he will indeed don't have access to BBM and such (no BB services)

Posted via CB10
    That's untrue, I have BBM on my Z30 working on a sim that I had with my Note 2 previously that didn't have BIS. The new BlackBerry 10 does not require the old BIS plan. One way to avoid reps ignorance about the current BlackBerry 10 is just to ask for either a plan to "use" with your supposed android/iOS phones.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-27-14 08:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    No, that is nonsense.
    You should not need any additional data plan, as BB10 DOES NOT utilise the BIS infrastructure and, basically, it works as any other android phone.
    just call to your operator representatives, ask them to disconnect your BIS plan and to leave the standard data plan for android phone. it will work perfectly
    NickMcBride likes this.
    12-27-14 08:01 PM
    Guys you are all right about BlackBerry 10 with standard data plan only. That's what I told Maroc Telecom.

Tatail, usman_hidayat19, ymb, I have a data plan that works with android and ios where I have access to all service as bbm voice and video. But with this same sim I have only Internet browsing on a BlackBerry 10 device.

Maroc Telecom want to force me to pay 30 us$ for bbm as a bis service.

If someone from BlackBerry can force them to respect BlackBerry market position it would be great !

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    commandos135 likes this.
    12-27-14 08:50 PM
    No, that is nonsense.
    You should not need any additional data plan, as BB10 DOES NOT utilise the BIS infrastructure and, basically, it works as any other android phone.
    just call to your operator representatives, ask them to disconnect your BIS plan and to leave the standard data plan for android phone. it will work perfectly
    That's exactly what I did but they block BlackBerry service connection connection... I can't log onto bbm neither protect...

When I tell them that's a nonsense android users can have bbm with the same data plan they respond that I just have to pay with my BlackBerry or go to another platform.

This is just going against BlackBerry's business !

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    12-27-14 08:53 PM
    Ok for some that seems to don't understand:

BBM and some BlackBerry services still need special treatment carrier wise!!!!

Some made there homework other didn't !
    And that the case of Maroc Telecom (I'm an user when in Morocco).
    And there are still few carriers around the world where unfortunately that still the case...

For exemple here in Europe most of carriers made the change to handle BBM amongst others!

And here in France I'm on Orange France, and it seems that a trick from them behind the scene (they still pay fees to BB for BIS) is till needed to get Blackberry service (your berry logo)

I hope those that fast came speaking without knowing understand now?

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 08:54 PM

And there are still few carriers around the world where unfortunately that still the case...

For exemple here in Europe most of carriers made the change to handle BBM amongst others!

And here in France I'm on Orange France, and it seems that a trick from them behind the scene (they still pay fees to BB for BIS) is till needed to get Blackberry service (your berry logo)

Posted via CB10
    Thanks man !

So what can we do with theses carriers ?

I am also a user of sfr and I do have all BlackBerry services without a the former BIS option I had to have before.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    12-27-14 09:02 PM
    If you go back and read what BlackBerry actually published, it is up to the carrier to decide whether to require BlackBerry Internet Service or not. BlackBerry does not require it. I don't have it now with Virgin Mobile Canada, all BlackBerry services work, but this was not always the case. When I first got my Z10 both Bell Canada and Virgin Mobile required BIS activation for BB10 devices. About all you can do is go to another carrier, as I did, until they change. Or pay the fee.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    12-27-14 09:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    Correct

BlackBerry Passport
    12-27-14 09:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    in this case there should be issue with apn or ip addresses
    12-27-14 09:04 PM
    Tried 3 different apn :

www.iamgprs.ma
    www.iamgprs1.ma
    www.blackberry.net

All work for browsing and push mail but not for bbm, protect, whatsapp, etc...

I am going on fight against Maroc Telecom because this is just fraud !

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    sk8er_tor and anon(8908445) like this.
    12-27-14 09:15 PM
    If you go back and read what BlackBerry actually published, it is up to the carrier to decide whether to require BlackBerry Internet Service or not. BlackBerry does not require it. I don't have it now with Virgin Mobile Canada, all BlackBerry services work, but this was not always the case. When I first got my Z10 both Bell Canada and Virgin Mobile required BIS activation for BB10 devices. About all you can do is go to another carrier, as I did, until they change. Or pay the fee.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    Man, first thanks for you answer.

This cannot be logical anymore.

If BlackBerry lets carriers choose if BIS is mandatory for BlackBerry 10 phones to have bbm than they are just pushing people to drop BlackBerry phones and get an other platform to have exactly the same services for free without any confusion. Since bbm is now available on other platforms with no special plan than BlackBerry has to be uncompromising with carriers.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    12-27-14 09:26 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    Was/is there a technical reason for this? If BlackBerry doesn't require it on BB10, why would a carrier require it (other than to make more money)? I mean why would BlackBerry even leave it as an option for carriers?
    12-27-14 09:42 PM
    Was/is there a technical reason for this? If BlackBerry doesn't require it on BB10, why would a carrier require it (other than to make more money)? I mean why would BlackBerry even leave it as an option for carriers?
    Because BlackBerry has no say in the way the carriers provision THEIR customers.
    12-27-14 09:48 PM
    it is the same with Etisalat over here in the UAE. They do not get it and you have to have a blackberry package to use bbm. even on wifi... they do just not allow the service.. i had tried it for over 9 months to make these idiots understand, but it is all about the money...
    12-27-14 09:55 PM
    Because BlackBerry has no say in the way the carriers provision THEIR customers.
    Great, then why would BlackBerry even address this in its literature? Anyway it has no say (as you say). Is there an articulable technical reason a carrier might charge for BIS on BB10 or is it just BS to charge more money?
    12-27-14 09:57 PM
    Great, then why would BlackBerry even address this in its literature? Anyway it has no say (as you say). Is there an articulable technical reason a carrier might charge for BIS on BB10 or is it just BS to charge more money?
    Ask your carrier. I would imagine it is so they can charge more money.

Posted via CB10
    TheAuthority likes this.
    12-27-14 10:17 PM
    There are probably no technical reasons, but there may be many business reasons, why a carrier would choose to require BB10 use BIS. For carriers who can (or believe they can) charge customers more for BIS than BlackBerry chares them it is easy cash. Some carriers may just not be willing to invest the effort in servicing BB10 differently from BBOS.

As already stated, it probably wasn't BlackBerry letting carriers continue to bill BB10 customers for BIS. It is more likely the case that some carriers refused to provide BIS plans to BB10 customers, and pay BlackBerry for the service. BlackBerry is not in a position to require carriers to do anything.
    TheAuthority likes this.
    12-27-14 10:18 PM
    It is more likely the case that some carriers refused to provide BIS plans to BB10 customers, and pay BlackBerry for the service.
    It's not the case at all; BlackBerry collects no licensing fees from bb10 devices, as there is literally no bis for those devices. It's one of the key contributors to BlackBerry's shrinking revenues. This is public knowledge, and it's very fair to say that the carrier is pretty much gouging BlackBerry users.
    12-27-14 11:34 PM
    I'm not sure I'd consider it carrier gouging. I moved my $30/6GB BIS data plan from my Torch 9800 to my Z10. People are paying $30 for 500MB now. I have no $5 BlackBerry service fee on my bill.

BB10 never used BIS, so I am unsure how the carrier can enable/disable certain functions like this.

If it really is the case, then I want my BIS email service back
    12-28-14 01:02 AM
153 123 ...