I've been thinking about this. Not sure why. Perhaps I am worried about RIM advertising BB10 in a single minded manner.

1) They need to be cool and have a campaign targeting teenage girls. Not even kidding. They have to use this whole "it's cool" campaign that Apple relies on.

2) They need to advertise to nerds. This is a wholly different campaign. Nerds follow this stuff. They are probably more likely to try out new technology unless reviews say it is buggy or poorly implemented. Find the top 20 computer/nerd sites out there and hand out BB10s to those sites. Anandtech.com is an example that should get a phone! And nerds are the ones that family come to asking about what phone to get.

3) Business. There needs to be a huge advertising blitz on CNBC and other popular news sites. But CNBC in particular since they are geared towards business. You need to advertise and you need to do interviews there talking about security, but don't lie to yourself. Show ff Flow thee just as much as security. And I hate to say it. You need to get on Mad Money and you need to kill it. Bring Thorsten and the CMO! Spend a week in NYC doing interviews. Seriously.
    07-29-12 09:38 PM
    they need to target all three demographics. i fit into each and use my 9900 for all three
    07-30-12 12:16 AM
    I agree 100%. The worst thing they (RIM) could do is not allocate enough funds into the advertising budget. I was just thinking how they might go about pushing this product; what piece of BB10 would they focus on the most? What do you think is going to separate BB10 from say the iPhone or the SIII? I would like to see what BlackBerry feels is worth mentioning, worth pushing towards the public, worth making us reconsider them again...
    08-15-12 07:09 PM
    I was thinking they should get Justin Beiber and Selena Gomez for advertising. Then Justin started opening his mouth and acting like a .
    08-20-12 06:34 AM
    Effective advertising is a must. Many cell phone store in the US have pulled their BB from the sales floor. Consumers must want these devices in order for them to sell. BB10 could be great but if people don't know why they want it then it won't matter.
    08-23-12 02:59 PM
    "BlackBerry, proud sponsor of Jersey Shore"

Doesn't make any sense (not even putting RIM since teens can't tell the relation), but it might work!
    08-23-12 03:36 PM
    The marketing should probably be humanistic and point out HOW BlackBerry 10 is the product YOU need in your life.

Focusing on specs, features, etc, even if you do have them will lose a lot of people who don't care. People care about how technology enables them to do things. Saves them time, makes something easier to do, fits into their world.

Its about moments.

BlackBerry 10 is about your journey through your own life. How this is the device that can get you where you want to be.

The advertisement needs to give me chills. It needs to be delightful. It needs to ingrain the idea that I want BlackBerry 10. It needs to make people compulsively go out to the place that sells BlackBerry 10 and say "I need that BlackBerry 10 device".

There needs to be a lot of focus on visuals, ui design and humans.

RDslva likes this.
    09-16-12 02:58 PM
    Thats too complicated, UI design, ease of use is all things that should come through word of mouth that a user will do once they have the product. Take notes from samsung they did a great job, a viral campaign should show innovative features that apple and android dont have example, like the cool new camera that allows to go back and forth in time. It should show be memorable and have dramatice effect like the windows surface tablet commercial. For the business segment, it should show the world's most successful people who love and use bb: obama, richard branson, donald trump etc. Only the business commercial line should be "It isn't for everyone, its for those special few who want to rule the world." Last it should have someone rich and famous saying Join our club. "Blackberry, the billionaires toy"
    09-24-12 03:47 PM
    i want to see someone like the dos equious guy lol they did it well
    09-24-12 03:48 PM
    Hire the firm that markets Apple products.
    09-26-12 03:05 AM
    I have been pondering the rationale behind RIM: -

1) Giving closed demos to selected techies and reporters a few weeks ago.
    2) The public show of BB10 they made yesterday.

Clearly it has been deliberately orchestrated to ensue BB Jam Americas is attended by the techies who matter so that when the great reveal they did yesterday is aptly covered.
    By any objective measure, the OS is looking great and fresh and clearly there is a lot that will come out as people dive deeper in the OS upgrade released for the Dev Alpha yesterday. In the same vein, the innards of the Dev alpha does seem fairly competitive.
    I am glad RIM pointedly avoided harping on about specs but emphassed performance. The specs race belongs to open OSes (Android/WP8) where there is little room for differentiation besides throwing out new hardware every two weeks.
    To a certain extent it worked because the stock did rally at the news.
    The next phase is the rest of the OS and final devices.
    09-26-12 07:13 AM
    They. Need a pre-order sale just to get people talking and exploring what it has to offer
    09-26-12 01:30 PM
    Assuming you can play a music video from YouTube in the background (like on the PlayBook) while texting then it should be popular with teenage girls.
    09-27-12 02:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD