I've learned to accept my Classic's double typing because my laptop does it, and it seems just about every "new" physical keyboard I have does it so I can accept it... But that damn magnifying glass is something I can't accept. It makes the simple task of selecting the words with the red squiggly lines a chore. It takes me longer to correct a message than it does to type it just because that stupid magnifying glass keeps getting in the way and covering the word I'm trying to correct.

I hate to have something so trivial send me away from BB, a platform I've used since the days of the two way pager, but I've had it with this magnifying glass. I can't ignore it anymore or pretend I'm happy when that thing adds nothing but stress to an already stressful day... It takes the joy out of responding to a funny from my beautiful wife...

Why not the regular two selector bars instead of that magnifying glass? They work great on all the other phones, why does BB have to be different without realizing what they call a feature is really a hindrance to the average user... And why have a feature that intrusive without the ability to turn it off???

Are you beta testers mentioning this to the developers? I wonder if the developers even use BB?
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    08-13-15 11:25 AM
    Very good point, I miss the 9900 days at least for text and editing.

Posted via CB10
    Soapm likes this.
    08-13-15 11:56 AM
    It's probably because you touch the inner part instead of the far border of the magnifying glass to move it where you want

And if you want the "two selectors" to display, just touch a word and keep you finger there, each second you let it on the screen, the selection will go from a word to a sentence, the paragraph, etc...

You can also use the shift key to display the magnifying glass where the cursor is and just move it, while keep pressing the key, to select the part you need (by moving the external border of it, you get it right ? ).

And... wait a minute ! You have the classic ! You can even use the trackpad with the shift key to select text without issue....
    noorabdullah likes this.
    08-13-15 12:08 PM
    It's probably because you touch the inner part instead of the far border of the magnifying glass to move it where you want

And if you want the "two selectors" to display, just touch a word and keep you finger there, each second you let it on the screen, the selection will go from a word to a sentence, the paragraph, etc...

You can also use the shift key to display the magnifying glass where the cursor is and just move it, while keep pressing the key, to select the part you need (by moving the external border of it, you get it right ? ).

And... wait a minute ! You have the classic ! You can even use the trackpad with the shift key to select text without issue....
    Exactly. I was wondering what the hell the OP was talking about. Selecting text on BlackBerry 10 cannot get easier!

OP open the help app and there are interactive tutorials to show you how it's done if it's not clear through this man's post.
    Joshu42 likes this.
    08-13-15 02:41 PM
    Exactly, which is why I should have the option to turn the magnifying glass off? I don't need it and it's more in my way that of any use...
    08-14-15 12:02 AM
    Very good point, I miss the 9900 days at least for text and editing.

Posted via CB10
    Just got a 9900 in the mail today. It might be fired up and running by tomorrow...
    08-14-15 12:04 AM
    Exactly. I was wondering what the hell the OP was talking about. Selecting text on BlackBerry 10 cannot get easier!

OP open the help app and there are interactive tutorials to show you how it's done if it's not clear through this man's post.
    I'm not trying to select, I'm trying to correct misspelled words? But the magnifying glass gets in the way?

AND, the standard way of selecting with the two bars or holding the shift key while moving the cursor with the track pad works a whole lot better than that magnifying glass. So I disagree, and think BB10 made an easy task hard with that magnifying glass...
    08-15-15 07:01 PM
    It's probably because you touch the inner part instead of the far border of the magnifying glass to move it where you want .
    No, I'm trying to correct misspelled words so have no use for the magnifying glass. I'm wishing it would stay out of the way so i can correct the words with the red squiggly lines. the double typing is bad enough without having to dodge that magnifying glass to make corrections...
    08-15-15 07:04 PM
    Soapm, you're out of warranty or what?
    08-15-15 07:24 PM
    First, the circle doesn't magnify anything, so it's not a magnifying glass.

Second, it only appears when you touch somewhere in the text input box that isn't tagged as misspelled.

So it sounds like you're doing it wrong. If you want to fix a misspelled word tagged as misspelled with the red squiggly line, then spot pressing anywhere but the actual word you're trying to fix. It's simple really; once you learn how it works. If you happen to click incorrectly and it pops up, just put your finger on the circle and move it out of the way of the word or wait a second or two while it disappears.

Seriously, BB10 has the quickest and most efficient features when it comes to text editing. Every other mobile platform has a slower or more complex way of editing text that just hinders productivity.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 07:31 PM
    First, the circle doesn't magnify anything, so it's not a magnifying glass.

Second, it only appears when you touch somewhere in the text input box that isn't tagged as misspelled.
    I do my best to touch the word with the red squiggly line but instead of the list of possible correction words, I get the circle 9 out of 10 times. So to say "touch where the misspelled word isn't" is easier said than done...

So it sounds like you're doing it wrong. If you want to fix a misspelled word tagged as misspelled with the red squiggly line, then spot pressing anywhere but the actual word you're trying to fix. It's simple really; once you learn how it works. If you happen to click incorrectly and it pops up, just put your finger on the circle and move it out of the way of the word or wait a second or two while it disappears.
    Having owned my Classic for months, if it were that easy, I'd have it mastered by now... You'd think... Yes, I can move the circle or wait until it clears, but 9 out of 10 times it returns when I attempt to correct a word. That's what's frustrating me, I get the circle more than I get a list of optional words...

Seriously, BB10 has the quickest and most efficient features when it comes to text editing. Every other mobile platform has a slower or more complex way of editing text that just hinders productivity.

Posted via CB10
    This is relative to individual experience, BBOS was much easier and I don't have this trouble using my iPad Mini or my Android tablet. I can easily chose the misspelled words on those??? This circle is unique to BB10 and we should have the option of turning it off if we can't seem to master the experience. Being honest, I've about had it with BB10 and plan to go back to my 9900 as soon as I get time to set it up...

I still can't figure out how to answer my second line when I get a call.
    The screen doesn't light up to tell me who's on my other line.
    This circle has gotten on my last nerve...
    Too many steps to do simple things like return a call.
    The lock button leaves some keys active which causes **** dialing.
    And some of my Android apps consistently crash.

All said and done life was simpler and less stressful with my 9900...
    08-15-15 10:32 PM
    Last week I drove my car into a telegraph pole. It's Honda's fault, I'll never buy one of their cars again.

Posted via Passport. It's hip to be square.
    08-16-15 08:20 AM
    So,

you tap on the word you wish to correct

The 'magnifying glass' pops up

You tap one of the arrows at the edge of the 'Magnifying to get the cursor where you want it for the edit.

It's brilliant.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-15 10:05 AM
    Last week I drove my car into a telegraph pole. It's Honda's fault, I'll never buy one of their cars again.

Perhaps, if they changed the method of operation from a steering wheel (BBOS), and decided to install a touch screen steering system that sticks a huge magnifying glass in your view anytime intricate steering was needed (BB10)... I won't say it's their fault, but their changes sure didn't help...
    08-16-15 09:15 PM
    So,

you tap on the word you wish to correct

The 'magnifying glass' pops up

You tap one of the arrows at the edge of the 'Magnifying to get the cursor where you want it for the edit.

It's brilliant.

Posted via CB10
    I know how to use it, I just don't find it useful or practical... I find the common system with the two bars much more user friendly...
    08-16-15 09:17 PM
    One solution I saw on another threat is keeping both thumbs in contact with the KB...

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 06:29 AM
    I know how to use it, I just don't find it useful or practical... I find the common system with the two bars much more user friendly...
    You can get the two bars up by long pressing the word.

For small edits, such as inserting a letter, the 'magnifying glass' is better.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 03:13 AM

You trying to sound cool?

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 11:53 PM
    They key to spell checking a word with red squiggly line under it, is to tap once in the center of the word. The spell checker with suggested words will come up instead of the circle.

If the circle is there all ready then you do have to move it out of the way or wait for it to disappear.

Long press to highlight the word and just re type it also works fast for some.

3 options to fix a word. So maybe complicated, but it gives each user a preferred way of typing, which I like.

Posted from my awesome Q10
    08-25-15 09:47 AM
    I agree with OP. That circle thing is too random. Long touching the screen doesn't consistently bring it up, nor does any other way. This should be worked on IMO.

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    08-25-15 12:16 PM
    I having problems of on mode magnifying glass issues. The phone is off screen saving mode and turn on screen and the apps icon automatically enlarge. That need hitting 2-3 times on screen and apps icon back to normal size. Annoying!

Z10/STL100-2 /10.3.2.2339
    08-25-15 07:47 PM
    I having problems of on mode magnifying glass issues. The phone is off screen saving mode and turn on screen and the apps icon automatically enlarge. That need hitting 2-3 times on screen and apps icon back to normal size. Annoying!
    Nothing to do with the "magnifying glass" quoted in this thread. You've probably enabled an accessibility feature. Go to Settings > Accessibility and turn off Magnify mode
    08-25-15 08:06 PM