Android apps on Windows Phone would be an ugly capitulation | Ars Technica

Look at what they state regarding BB10 and Android apps. One for BBFactCheck, methinks.

Also, the comments that clarify things re:BB10 are all voted down, despite being factual...?

Very fishy.

Posted via CB10
    NtotheK and Furell like this.
    07-14-14 11:25 AM
    Bump, as I think this article, coming from an apparently reputable source, is worthy of attention.

Clearly no effort has been made to fact-check prior to publish.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 11:57 AM
    Bump, as I think this article, coming from an apparently reputable source, is worthy of attention.

Clearly no effort has been made to fact-check prior to publish.

Posted via CB10
    So, have you reported it to BBFactCheck?
    07-14-14 12:26 PM
    So, have you reported it to BBFactCheck?
    Yep, although doing so appears difficult - tweeted BlackBerry with #bbfactcheck ...

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 12:47 PM
    This was posted already
    07-14-14 12:54 PM
    This was posted already
    Thanks for mentioning, however I am posting specifically about the inaccuracies in the article regarding BlackBerry and BB10.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 12:59 PM
    Thanks for mentioning, however I am posting specifically about the inaccuracies in the article regarding BlackBerry and BB10.

Posted via CB10
    What do you consider inaccurate?
    07-14-14 01:53 PM
    What do you consider inaccurate?
    "BlackBerry 10 supports (some) Android apps"

The vast majority run perfectly last time I checked.

"BlackBerry 10 can run repackaged Android apps, but only Java ones. Native applications must be ported to BlackBerry OS."

How long since Android apps had to be 'repackaged'?

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 02:04 PM
    "BlackBerry 10 supports (some) Android apps"

The vast majority run perfectly last time I checked.

"BlackBerry 10 can run repackaged Android apps, but only Java ones. Native applications must be ported to BlackBerry OS."

How long since Android apps had to be 'repackaged'?

Posted via CB10
    No they do not run perfectly far from it try any app that needs google play services for example paypal or google maps and amazon.com you get that annoying message that says you need google play services.

As it currently stands side loading android apps is NOT a viable solution for the average consumer. It's too complicated. Also a lot of the apps run slower and are prone to freezing for example mSecure that I use for passwords is so sluggish that I'm prompted to quit the app.
    07-14-14 02:57 PM

As it currently stands side loading android apps is NOT a viable solution for the average consumer. It's too complicated...
    It's a good thing that there hasn't been a need to "sideload" for some time now. Direct installation has been available for the past few updates.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal and spikesolie like this.
    07-14-14 03:15 PM
    No they do not run perfectly far from it try any app that needs google play services for example paypal or google maps and amazon.com you get that annoying message that says you need google play services.

As it currently stands side loading android apps is NOT a viable solution for the average consumer. It's too complicated. Also a lot of the apps run slower and are prone to freezing for example mSecure that I use for passwords is so sluggish that I'm prompted to quit the app.
    Except that the vast majority of Google Play apps (and no Amazon ones) do not require Google Play services, so again... the vast majority run perfectly.

Your second point - you don't have to sideload from 10.2.1 onwards.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 03:22 PM
    There's nothing wrong with the article... android apps with Google play services don't work most of the time. And before you go all "amazon apps don't require Google Play Services" on me, let me remind you that the author is talking about Android apps in general...the Amazon app store will only come preloaded with 10.3... he hasn't really said anything worth reporting...

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 03:53 PM
    There's nothing wrong with the article... android apps with Google play services don't work most of the time. And before you go all "amazon apps don't require Google Play Services" on me, let me remind you that the author is talking about Android apps in general...the Amazon app store will only come preloaded with 10.3... he hasn't really said anything worth reporting...

Posted via CB10
    Except that

1) the majority of apps even on Play Store do not require Google Play services. The vast majority of Android apps OVERALL do run, not 'some'.

2) The second statement regarding the need to repackage Android apps is incorrect.

Clearly therefore, the two statements are not accurate.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 04:10 PM
    the article is fine. You are being nitpicky. "some" covers them either way. The majority may very well work but using the word "some" is a correct statement as well.

This is the other quote

BlackBerry 10 at first could only run repackaged Android apps written in Java. More recently, BlackBerry has rolled out an update that enables some native applications to run directly, but the company says that they will work better if ported to BlackBerry OS.
    And again its fairly accurate as at first they did have to be repackaged to work. Now they native APKs can be installed and run just as they state.

You are grasping at nothing IMO.
    07-14-14 05:39 PM
    the article is fine. You are being nitpicky. "some" covers them either way. The majority may very well work but using the word "some" is a correct statement as well.

This is the other quote

And again its fairly accurate as at first they did have to be repackaged to work. Now they native APKs can be installed and run just as they state.

You are grasping at nothing IMO.
    Interesting that what you have quoted is different - looks as though they made an amendment to the article.

I agree that this reads better.

Don't think their use of 'some' is nitpicky as in my opinion it implies a minority that work, rather than a majority. The emphasis being on 'implies'. But we'll have to agree to disagree there.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 06:00 PM
    lol...can we close the thread now?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 03:40 AM
    lol...can we close the thread now?

Posted via CB10
    Sure

(they did change the wording though!)

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 08:09 AM
    Except that the vast majority of Google Play apps (and no Amazon ones) do not require Google Play services, so again... the vast majority run perfectly.

Your second point - you don't have to sideload from 10.2.1 onwards.

Posted via CB10
    Snap is not a viable option as good as it is you cannot sell it as a solution it's a great workaround.

Posted via my Q10
    07-18-14 09:06 PM
    Some is a good word

I have uninstalled MOST Android apps I tried. Some failed to run without any message of any sort. SOME behaved badly, like disconnecting my bluetooth. Some worked very well but I rarely use them.

Have this with some official android ports too, looking at you Waze and Endomondo.

So some is right, but some native apps are crap too but most native apps play well with others

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    07-19-14 08:25 AM
    Some is a good word

I have uninstalled MOST Android apps I tried. Some failed to run without any message of any sort. SOME behaved badly, like disconnecting my bluetooth. Some worked very well but I rarely use them.

Have this with some official android ports too, looking at you Waze and Endomondo.

So some is right, but some native apps are crap too but most native apps play well with others

Well barely any haven't worked smoothly for me. Not really any different to how I found it with my Android tablet - some didn't work on that either.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 08:35 AM
    Well barely any haven't worked smoothly for me. Not really any different to how I found it with my Android tablet - some didn't work on that either.

Posted via CB10
    There are so many bad android apps out there I cant tell if it is the android on BlackBerry or just android.

I have kept most non ports I got from bbw and they are MOSTLY smooth like buttah.

07-19-14 08:48 AM
    Guys I'm not sure why this thread of mine has been revived - the main bit of the article I had a problem with was quickly revised to something more accurate.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 11:49 AM