lI

Today I had an email account which started out as Blentertainment.

I could not for the life of me determine if this was B "L" or B "I".

How could a business oriented device not use a font which distinguishes between these, or at least allow me to select a font that does?

Also, why the hell is autocorrect correcting correctly spelled words?

Also, why does 10.3 take more taps to do almost everything than 10.2? (Call back from Hub, Edit a Calendar entry, universal search)

Also, stop auto-inserting emojis! They make mathematics impossible to read. Why the heck are smiley faces more important than clearly reading f(y)=x? (By the way this renders as f[Facebook Like][Kissy face])

These things are killing my productivity! BlackBerry, get back to "Solving Problems " (as Kevin once put it), instead of "fixing " what isn't broken!

Posted via CB10
    Droidophobe likes this.
    04-15-15 05:04 AM
    A capital L

Is pretty easy to distinguish after that comprehension skills should take over if is a capital i or lower case l

I admit that the emoji thing is pretty annoying but a couple strategically placed spaces would get rid of it and wouldn't change the equation
    04-15-15 06:49 AM
    I think he meant to say that l looks the same as I, where in first place I've written lowercase letter L, and in second capital i
    Example word: I'll �do you see how similar are they?

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 07:50 AM
    I see what he's saying. They need to go back to using the letter "I" that had a bar across the top and bottom.
    It's the business world and the way they wanted to get away from looking out dated that called that shot not BlackBerry and they just went with the flow.
    I think you can change the typing style if you want, I may give it a try later today I saw something in the email section that gave me the ability to change it somehow.

04-15-15 09:58 AM
    I see what he's saying. They need to go back to using the letter "I" that had a bar across the top and bottom.
    It's the business world and the way they wanted to get away from looking out dated that called that shot not BlackBerry and they just went with the flow.
    I think you can change the typing style if you want, I may give it a try later today I saw something in the email section that gave me the ability to change it somehow.

If you can find a way to change the font, please get back to me...

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 12:27 PM
    With the case of the letters... isn't that the case with any... and every san-serif font in existence?

Helvetica, Windows' own Arial, Futura, Lucida Sans, any of them.

What you want are the serif fonts, like Romans and the like.

But, to be honest, it's not like we haven't been using, typing, and reading san serif fonts since, I don't know, the invention of the typeface?

This just sounds like a discovery that a 5-year-old might make "hey, a small "L" looks like a capitol "I"".

Posted via CB10
    BCITMike likes this.
    04-15-15 03:55 PM
    I share the OPs frustration on at least one point.

It's baffling that modern business software in multiple areas and on multiple platforms still commits the basic mistake of using fonts with poor discrimination in places where it's important.

The mere fact it's widespread doesn't make it any more acceptable
    Tatwi likes this.
    04-15-15 04:57 PM
    CB needs to change I and l thing too, I can't tell a difference.
    04-15-15 05:18 PM
    Hmmm... have you guys found a sans-serif typeface that distinguishes capital I and lowercase l?

I'd like to get that

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    04-15-15 09:29 PM
    Hmmm... have you guys found a sans-serif typeface that distinguishes capital I and lowercase l?

I'd like to get that

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    I think there are quite a few sans-serif fonts that do. I believe the finial on lowercase l (like the one on "t") doesn't count as a serif.

It is fine that the current font is as it is by default, but at least give me the option to change it to better suit my needs.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 10:37 PM
    It could be a licensing/cost issue by offering more fonts.
    04-15-15 10:52 PM
    It could be a licensing/cost issue by offering more fonts.
    My memory isn't great, but I believe that they offered a serif font in the old BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 02:09 AM
    There are quite a few public domain fonts / projects to address the issue - a lot of it in the context of variable-width fonts being used for programming

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/...portional_and/

Longish read but link at top of thread leads to examples of use.
    04-16-15 07:05 AM
    Sometimes life can be very perplexing...
    04-16-15 07:12 AM
    I think there are quite a few sans-serif fonts that do. I believe the finial on lowercase l (like the one on "t") doesn't count as a serif.

It is fine that the current font is as it is by default, but at least give me the option to change it to better suit my needs.

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm, I believe I've seen such a typeface and yes I'd like to have it on my BlackBerry. Differentiating between capital I and lowercase l is indeed pretty hard, and I believe it also looks nicer

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    04-16-15 08:59 AM
    That screen jumps when texting irritates me on my Classic. It jumps like a flea and it is a huge distraction that I wish BlackBerry would fix in the next update.

04-20-15 06:33 PM