None shall pass!

(Been away from BB for a bit but keeping an eye on the Passport/Oslo/Dallas)

1.Phone always password locked when I turned off the screen or it (lock) was activated on a short timer if idle.

2. Used a quick 4 digit/letter input for *frequent and easy access.

3. Sometimes away from phone or in unfamiliar surroundings where I wish my phone's password was doubly secure.

4. Can we have an accessible Master Lock screen we can activate from our regular lock screen (and another route if wanting to Master Lock with phone unlocked/currently accessed)

It would be a longer key (though entirely dependant on the user) and would have to be entered to access phone.
    It would be activated solely by the user; meaning it would would not be activated based on a timer in idle mode ---> that would still only access the optional "regular" lock screen.

I envision a button or slider on the locked screen that could be activated with ease to switch to the more secure/longer password code.

The point of this is the benefit of added security when called for but still allowing the user to use a basic password for regular and quick access. The last bit being key...no pun intended.

Thoughts?

Ps. The numbers help me organize my thoughts. Feel free to poke fun.
    06-13-15 05:30 PM
    You could activate picture password as a quick password and a full blown alphanumeric password that the device will always ask for whenever settings get changed.

But what you describe is not possible (and I believe no platform can do that right now).
    06-13-15 05:41 PM
    Not possible? Really?

Sounds like a simple feature. Though I am not in software engineering.
    The point of the post is largely if not solely due to it not being in any platform.

I admit to not being a fan of most gimmicky passcode keys like face recognition, pictures, thumb readers. Guess I am old fashioned.
    I feel their is value in the idea but will see what more people think.
    Thanks.
    06-13-15 05:52 PM
    So on the lock screen you would pick to enter a longer password each time or would it switch to the longer password until reset after unlocking phone?

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 07:24 PM
    Sorry, I think I made it sound confusing. I will throw up an example.

Ex:

To unlock my Blackberry Q10
    Password = BB12
    I chose this password myself and use it day in day out.
    -Easy access/ quick unlock.
    -I keep it simple so I can keep it locked and quickly unlock it with ease.

Now consider a scenario where you may have to put your phone down for a while on your job. You take a lunch and want to leave the phone in the office. Whatever.
    Instead of the basic password you can select a longer more secure one.
    *It literally is the same setup as your standard password, but it would be longer/more complicated and more secure.
    But, at the same time you wouldn't want to enter it every time you access your phone.
    To be clear. We are not changing our password BB12. We are opting to use a longer/more secure passcode/lock.

Ex:
    Master Lock Password: Honeycomb27459
    This is the password I have chosen to unlock my Q10's Master Lock.
    With it activated my standard password BB12 would not access my phone because I opted to use my Master Lock. You would need to use Honeycomb27459 to open your phone.

Once opened and I close/lock my phone as per usual, the regular password BB12 would again kick in and be all I need to unlock my phone.
    I have to turn on the Master Lock. It does not activate unless you manually select it.

(If you use the Master Lock Password Honeycomb27459, it would directly open your phone...
    ...as opposed to opening the Master Lock and then having to enter your regular password BB12 again. That's a little to overkill even for me)

As I typed this I realized more why I want it. I guess cause I use a very basic password. I do see now that no one besides myself knows how simple my passcode is, so maybe it isn't something that would appeal to many.

Knowing I have a basic/simple password for more ease-of-use with little security...This Master Lock would be a nice option for me should I want to be extra secure.

Ps: I know "Master Lock" is not a great name. Haha.
    06-13-15 10:25 PM
    It's not simple, honest. It would require an absurd amount of code for a feature I don't really see a point to.

You want a second layer of security and as far as that I can agree, but the rationale behind it (and your implementation) are neither simple nor practical.

But I would welcome a second layer of security. Say, have the device ask for both picture and alphanumerical passwords.

If I were you, I'd find middle ground: A passowrd that's longer but still quick to enter. And I'd do it fast. 4 digits? I crack 4 digit passwords in my sleep...
    06-14-15 12:03 AM
    Well the 4 digits seem to keep the average bear at bay.
    I do agree the middle ground is the easiest solution in this case.
    06-14-15 08:10 AM
    Sorry, I think I made it sound confusing. I will throw up an example.

Ex:

To unlock my Blackberry Q10
    Password = BB12
    I chose this password myself and use it day in day out.
    -Easy access/ quick unlock.
    -I keep it simple so I can keep it locked and quickly unlock it with ease.

Now consider a scenario where you may have to put your phone down for a while on your job. You take a lunch and want to leave the phone in the office. Whatever.
    Instead of the basic password you can select a longer more secure one.
    *It literally is the same setup as your standard password, but it would be longer/more complicated and more secure.
    But, at the same time you wouldn't want to enter it every time you access your phone.
    To be clear. We are not changing our password BB12. We are opting to use a longer/more secure passcode/lock.

Ex:
    Master Lock Password: Honeycomb27459
    This is the password I have chosen to unlock my Q10's Master Lock.
    With it activated my standard password BB12 would not access my phone because I opted to use my Master Lock. You would need to use Honeycomb27459 to open your phone.

Once opened and I close/lock my phone as per usual, the regular password BB12 would again kick in and be all I need to unlock my phone.
    I have to turn on the Master Lock. It does not activate unless you manually select it.

(If you use the Master Lock Password Honeycomb27459, it would directly open your phone...
    ...as opposed to opening the Master Lock and then having to enter your regular password BB12 again. That's a little to overkill even for me)

As I typed this I realized more why I want it. I guess cause I use a very basic password. I do see now that no one besides myself knows how simple my passcode is, so maybe it isn't something that would appeal to many.

Knowing I have a basic/simple password for more ease-of-use with little security...This Master Lock would be a nice option for me should I want to be extra secure.

Ps: I know "Master Lock" is not a great name. Haha.
    I know you mentioned you don't like gimmicky password options but you could try this to see if it is something that works and you could get used to it. It may work similar to what you are wanting.

1. Set main password to Honeycomb27459(this will become your master lock)
    2. Set a picture password (this will be your simple password)
    Turn picture pass on when you are with your device ...turn off for your lunch trip when leaving in office.
    Pro: similar to what you are wanting.
    Con: have to get used to using picture password.

Another option(not sure if it is possible but would be neat if it can)
    1. Set main password to Honeycomb27459(this will become your master lock)
    2. Get an NFC tag(wristband, card, keychain) and tag it your master password. (This will be your simple password)
    Pro: always has master password always has simple password
    Con: not sure if this is possible.

 Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2204 
    06-14-15 08:29 AM