With 10.2 releasing soon, I do hope it polishes off with taking advantage of the use of live tiles for areas such as the contact and settings. It is already there for the calendar. I think it would be a shame not to.

What information do you have regarding live tiles on 10.2 for BlackBerry native areas (settings, contacts, etc)?
    09-21-13 02:16 PM
    Facebook should at least browse for Facebook contacts and would be best if it can browse for newest story or notification.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 05:31 AM
    With 10.2 releasing soon, I do hope it polishes off with taking advantage of the use of live tiles for areas such as the contact and settings. It is already there for the calendar. I think it would be a shame not to.

What information do you have regarding live tiles on 10.2 for BlackBerry native areas (settings, contacts, etc)?
    What information do you think the Contacts or Settings application should put in an active frame?
    09-22-13 08:03 AM
    What information do you think the Contacts or Settings application should put in an active frame?
    I think the contacts tile should float though them like the pictures live tile.

I think the settings tile should float the different functions, or even show system related data like what "gadget box" currently does.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10 running 10.2.0.1725
    09-22-13 08:34 AM
    I think the contacts tile should float though them like the pictures live tile.

I think the settings tile should float the different functions, or even show system related data like what "gadget box" currently does.

I'm not sure I would find the contacts thing useful but others may. Your idea for settings is really good. You should head over to the Beta Zone and suggest both.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 12:27 PM
    No point to contacts but settings for sure. Could show battery percentage, memory usage, storage space, etc

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 03:56 PM
    Well, I do hope that with 10.2 coming soon, they already thought of and applied these features.

In respect of the contacts, I was thinking more of cycling the ones with pictures. Though, I do agree it is more so of a novelty. But, if it's there in Windows phones, which is of less superiority than BlackBerry, why not let them also include it!

09-23-13 01:13 AM
    Well, I do hope that with 10.2 coming soon, they already thought of and applied these features.

In respect of the contacts, I was thinking more of cycling the ones with pictures. Though, I do agree it is more so of a novelty. But, if it's there in Windows phones, which is of less superiority than BlackBerry, why not let them also include it!

Even though cycling through contact pictures may lack utility, it does have a certain charm.

I don't know if they have thought of doing this, I do know it isn't in the version of 10.2 I'm currently running.

Posted via CB10
    gordon griffith likes this.
    09-23-13 04:58 AM
    Even though cycling through contact pictures may lack utility, it does have a certain charm.

I don't know if they have thought of doing this, I do know it isn't in the version of 10.2 I'm currently running.

Posted via CB10
    I hated the live tile for contacts on my windows phone... lol
    09-23-13 12:31 PM
    I hated the live tile for contacts on my windows phone... lol
    I almost never run the contacts app on my Z10. There is no real reason to. So it is never sitting on my desktop as a frame. But for people who use it that way it could show recent picture updates, or people that you haven't contacted in a while.
    09-23-13 12:39 PM
    BlackBerry = active frames
    Windows phone= live tiles

Just sayin.
    Also I think all apps should make use of them, IF they have something useful to show. If not then the constant update will kill battery. Facebook really needs an update imo, an active frame could be a part of that. Maybe show latest status' or make it customizable to whatever you want it to show. I wish crackberry was actually a part of blackberry. BlackBerry could learn a lot from us and get a lot of feedback.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 01:39 PM

Just sayin.
    Also I think all apps should make use of them, IF they have something useful to show. If not then the constant update will kill battery. Facebook really needs an update imo, an active frame could be a part of that. Maybe show latest status' or make it customizable to whatever you want it to show. I wish crackberry was actually a part of blackberry. BlackBerry could learn a lot from us and get a lot of feedback.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry developers actually read Crackberry posts. They have also provided email links for us BlackBerry users and others to contact them. Two of them are: [email protected] and [email protected]. I personally got these two from a live person at Blackberry. They do not reply to emails sent here. The emails are read by the development team and our ideas and suggestions are incorporated into future updates. Yes, I've seen it come to fruition.

Trusted Member Genius
    09-23-13 05:26 PM

Just sayin.

Posted via CB10
    Hi and thanks for the clarification. As Richard said, a recent picture or contacts not contacted would be a good idea. Whilst I'm understanding to what you say regarding battery drain, I still believe something needs to be placed there (in truly taking advantage of the new features that this OS possesse).

I've noted the previous posts regarding the developers looking at CrackBerry and possible picking (possible pollishing) some of the ideas from there.

IMHO, if it's been used in other apps (CrackBerry, Gadget Box), and even the native file manager, I can't see any reason why this sort of consistency shouldn't be implemented across the platform OS!

But, whilst I'm using 10.2.0.1725 (and it's rumered that the relesaesd OS will be higher / newer), there still (to me) remains a hope that "Active Frames" will be used through the platform.

09-24-13 01:27 AM
    Well at least if they don't want to fully utilize the active frame then just make the active frame display the app icon when minimize.

When the active frame display the last image of the app before it was minimize it looks so... stupi... yeah you get the point.

Posted via CB10
    joejuck likes this.
    09-24-13 01:07 PM
    Well at least if they don't want to fully utilize the active frame then just make the active frame display the app icon when minimize.

When the active frame display the last image of the app before it was minimize it looks so... stupi... yeah you get the point.

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree.

09-25-13 01:15 AM
    I think the difference is that live tiles for Windows Phone are always on the screen while active frames for BlackBerry 10 are not. So, the idea of cycling through pictures for live tiles seem to make more sense. For active frames, there really is no reason for users to let it sit on the screen after using since it will just take up space.

My 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 02:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    I actually like when an app shows the last thing displayed when minimized. There are plenty of times that I'm trying to copy something from one app to another and I'm not able to copy and paste (CrackBerry 10 comment section for example) and would like to be able to just go to the home screen and not back into the app to copy lots of info.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 07:51 AM
    "Live tile" is another word for widgets that you can find on Android. Actually, on Android the widgets are much more pleasing than the square tiles on WP.

So, I think there should be dual way to do this. Either, the application programmer can add a widget type of minimized program, or, there should be a real-time updated active frame that displays the actual content when minimized, just like in Windows 7.
    09-25-13 08:23 AM
    "Live tile" is another word for widgets that you can find on Android. Actually, on Android the widgets are much more pleasing than the square tiles on WP.

So, I think there should be dual way to do this. Either, the application programmer can add a widget type of minimized program, or, there should be a real-time updated active frame that displays the actual content when minimized, just like in Windows 7.
    The way I'd like it go is for BlackBerry to make sure that there is consistency across the platform. As far as a minimised native app is concern. I don't think it's appealing to the eye when certain native apps implement the feature, whilst some just show a shrunken screen shot of your last place in the native app.

In respect of other programmers adding it to there apps, I believe it first needs to be implemented across the board by BlackBerry first. They need to set the example for others to follow.

09-25-13 12:46 PM