Can someone tell me what the little n on the top left of my screen means? Thanks!
    Just got my new z10 and cant find my where my screen grabs are saved

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails Little "n" on my screen-img_00000010.jpg  
    Last edited by thevizer; 10-04-13 at 08:49 AM.
    10-04-13 08:35 AM
    Probably NFC.

And your volume button screen captures are in Device > Camera.

Posted via CB10

Edit: Yep, that's NFC.
    Last edited by thurask; 10-04-13 at 09:03 AM.
    10-04-13 08:38 AM
    ....and I posted an old seen grab. **** me.
    10-04-13 08:39 AM
    This is precisely the reason why Frank B.'s head should be delivered on a silver platter.

Such a powerful feature, and even BlackBerry owners don't know what it is or how to use it.

Oh well.... wait for Apple to introduce NFC technology... then the world will know about it and sing praises about NFC technology.

And to think that I was using my 9900 to pay for orders @ Timmy's 2 years ago....
    RD9700 and cheadlender like this.
    10-04-13 08:50 AM
    Its nfc you can turn it off in setting go to connection go to nfc

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 09:02 AM
    This is precisely the reason why Frank B.'s head should be delivered on a silver platter.

Such a powerful feature, and even BlackBerry owners don't know what it is or how to use it.

Oh well.... wait for Apple to introduce NFC technology... then the world will know about it and sing praises about NFC technology.

And to think that I was using my 9900 to pay for orders @ Timmy's 2 years ago....
    Funny - I honestly don't know what NFC could be used for. Something about beaming a picture to another phone? So what? I can email it, and we don't have to touch phones lol.
    10-04-13 10:04 AM
    Funny - I honestly don't know what NFC could be used for. Something about beaming a picture to another phone? So what? I can email it, and we don't have to touch phones lol.
    There can be multiple uses for NFC. Easier mobile payment comes to mind: Just tab your phone to pay your coffee, tab your phone on the entry of a subway station to get and pay your ticket.
    But NFC tags can also be used to share information, maybe in museums.

I really think NFC will take off one way or another, it is not this new either, I remember some Nokia phones had it build-in before BBRY introduced it with their OS7 range of devices. Yet I am sure there would be a huge impact if Apple would actually itroduce it. Kinda like their fingerprint scanner: Nothing new or innovative, yet they put it in the spotlight and now users of every brands are demending such a scanner for the next generation of devices.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    10-04-13 11:10 AM
    If you don't use it, then the best advantage for you would be to switch it off. Then you save some power. Not much, but every little counts.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 12:53 PM
    Just because IPhone doesn't have it, it's useless? Haha oh the irony!!!!! You're doing the exact same thing you've criticized BlackBerry users for doing.

I've used NFC many times. And it's extremely useful. Need to share a contact? Open it, and bump. Easy as that. Pictures. Open the picture and bump. So on and so forth. (not to mention when used for payments)

Yes you can email it. But then, you could also walk to work. NFC simply makes it faster. And less laborious. Less steps. That's the whole point. Cheers Benjamin. Lighten up buddy. Lol.

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    10-04-13 01:25 PM
    Just because IPhone doesn't have it, it's useless? Haha oh the irony!!!!! You're doing the exact same thing you've criticized BlackBerry users for doing.
    What on earth are you talking about?

Lighten up? I don't see anything in my post to indicate that I'm not "lightened up". I was only saying I didn't know what NFC was for.
    10-04-13 01:27 PM
    There can be multiple uses for NFC. Easier mobile payment comes to mind: Just tab your phone to pay your coffee, tab your phone on the entry of a subway station to get and pay your ticket.
    But NFC tags can also be used to share information, maybe in museums.

I really think NFC will take off one way or another, it is not this new either, I remember some Nokia phones had it build-in before BBRY introduced it with their OS7 range of devices. Yet I am sure there would be a huge impact if Apple would actually itroduce it. Kinda like their fingerprint scanner: Nothing new or innovative, yet they put it in the spotlight and now users of every brands are demending such a scanner for the next generation of devices.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    Questions about the payments thing: How do I set it up? I assume I need to set up some account and tie in a credit card? I'm asking because more and more taxis here in NYC say "Pay With Your Phone!", and I'm assuming that's some NFC thing? But when I "Touch Phone Here To Begin", nothing happens. Is the software in their system platform-specific (as in, only for Android)??

Thanks.
    10-04-13 01:29 PM
    What on earth are you talking about?

Lighten up? I don't see anything in my post to indicate that I'm not "lightened up". I was only saying I didn't know what NFC was for.
    I'm talking about your posts in general! I've seen so many negative ones but I only replied to this one for I believed it would be less likely to get out of hand. I already have some infractions unfortunately.

10-04-13 01:35 PM
    Questions about the payments thing: How do I set it up? I assume I need to set up some account and tie in a credit card? I'm asking because more and more taxis here in NYC say "Pay With Your Phone!", and I'm assuming that's some NFC thing? But when I "Touch Phone Here To Begin", nothing happens. Is the software in their system platform-specific (as in, only for Android)??

Thanks.
    It could be. Some Android phones' NFC won't work with BlackBerry's for some reason.

10-04-13 01:37 PM
    It could be. Some Android phones' NFC won't work with BlackBerry's for some reason.

It's not NFC and not for BlackBerry (as usual):

VeriFone Way2ride: Taxi Payments, Rethought - Mobility - Mobile

So I continue to see no point in NFC.
    10-04-13 01:39 PM
    I personally love using NFC for sending videos and pictures to my friends. For instance I was the only person who realized what was going on at a party where my friend decided he was going to propose to his (now) fianc�. I was unable to email it because it was to large so I tapped our phones together and they now have the memories.
    10-04-13 01:50 PM
    It's not NFC and not for BlackBerry (as usual):

VeriFone Way2ride: Taxi Payments, Rethought - Mobility - Mobile

So I continue to see no point in NFC.
    Just because merchants, banks, and credit card companies aren't doing it right doesn't mean there is no point in having NFC. In fact, one of the Canadian banks that released an app yesterday is using NFC for payments. Its a feature that has incredible potential once the powers that be decide to stop hanging onto the past and start accepting future technology.

In fact, BlackBerry should start pushing the credit card companies to move to NFC on BlackBerrys (because of BlackBerry's security and the fact that these banks/credit card companies use security concerns as their excuse), and push this as a major feature of BlackBerrys that actually makes the users life better! Imagine this, you are checking out at the grocery store, you waited 10 minutes in line after shopping for 45 minutes, and you realize you don't have your wallet. Well, everyone has their BlackBerry with them, so it's no big deal. You pull out your BlackBerry and swipe it past the credit card machine (many already have NFC readers in them) and your groceries are paid for AND your discount shopping card was automatically added for an instant discount.

This is the way it should be already!!!!! BlackBerry has a chance to make this something everyone thinks they can't live without. They just need to use their security image to convince the banks and credit card companies to get on board with this.

Posted via my ? Z10
    Carterbits likes this.
    10-04-13 02:12 PM
    Thanks for all your help. I know what nfc is and does, but just didn't realize that function was represented by an "n".

Side note: nfc is great. Amazingly quick transfers. I saw the new ios7 on my mother's phone today. Yuck!

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 07:16 PM
    I'm talking about your posts in general! I've seen so many negative ones but I only replied to this one for I believed it would be less likely to get out of hand. I already have some infractions unfortunately.

Yay! Welcome to the infraction club buddy.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 UK
    10-08-13 12:48 AM
    Yay! Welcome to the infraction club buddy.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 UK
    lol!

"If you can't soar with the eagles, then don't fly with the flock!"
    10-08-13 02:24 AM
    You can purchase NFC tags and stick them anywhere. Configure the tag. They do a bunch of different things...
    15 Creative And Useful Ways To Use NFC Tags With Your Phone ...
    http://trendblog.net/creative-and-us...ur-smartphone/

Trusted Member Genius
    10-08-13 01:38 PM