Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Banco View Post
    But I have never remotely suggested that is not the case in the US. So I'm not sure what you're trying to say?

Can you answer for what a cricket match is like in India? IPL viewing figures for example? The importance and cost of advertising for said IPL matches?
    I think you are missing the point about people actually watching the superbowl for the adverts, for other sports events so that is one reason why they might consider such an advert.

In general though, I very much doubt they would go near sports advertising since the partisan nature of the fans in most stuff could reduce its effectiveness e.g. advertising at a premiership game or an ipl match and people might take it that they were in favour of the home team and react against them.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by Skeevecr View Post
    I think you are missing the point about people actually watching the superbowl for the adverts, for other sports events so that is one reason why they might consider such an advert.

In general though, I very much doubt they would go near sports advertising since the partisan nature of the fans in most stuff could reduce its effectiveness e.g. advertising at a premiership game or an ipl match and people might take it that they were in favour of the home team and react against them.
    Not that was more of a question really, as to whether that's true or not. And if so, then it's unquestionably a very different thing. You would know much better than I! For Premier League football it wouldn't be viewed as partisan, just not especially effective. IPL I understand is rather more similar.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I think you guys are forgetting the champions League final. Last season champions League final beat the super bowl as the most watched club competition.

We also are underestimating India love for cricket. It is huge there and I'm sure they have parties and events just for matches.

In any case I'm sure rim has different advertising departments for different regions cause of this exact problem. They need to have an understanding of the culture. Different ads work in different places.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,530 Global Posts

the most viewed sporting event was a cricket match.

but weekly premier league viewers spank superbowl viewers on straight figures. but i dont think those asking for a superbowl ad do it soley because of the viewers

A Superbowl ad would only benefit the American market, it just wouldnt generate any interest internationally since hardly anyone cares about American Football (handegg :P) outside the US.

That said, the American market desperately needs something to revive it. And a superbowl ad may just do that. Its up to RIM to decide whether the cost is going to be worth it. I'm dubious myself, but it's not my decision to make
    Primary Device: Moto X
    Backup Device: Blackberry Z10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,530 Global Posts
    PIN
    mic check one two, testing, check check

Quote Originally Posted by darkehawke View Post
    A Superbowl ad would only benefit the American market, it just wouldnt generate any interest internationally since hardly anyone cares about American Football (handegg :P) outside the US.

That said, the American market desperately needs something to revive it.
    RIM keeps telling us how well they're doing outside of the US market, we all know how hard the US market has been shaken for RIM, so I expect to see a huge effort in the North American market, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that start with a Super Bowl ad, and continue to see that ad post Super Bowl.... as with most all Super Bowl ads.

....but nobody is calling me from RIM for marketing advise...... however based on how well RIM says they're doing outside of the US market, its leads me to the conclusion the larger effort will be seen in North America and Europe to take back some market share from iPhone and Android. Nobody is dismissing other markets, but one only has to look at the launch cities to guess where RIM Marketing is beginning its focus; 2 North America, 2 European, 1 South Africa and 1 Asia.

One must remember, RIM is not advertising and marketing to those of us who have already decided to buy a BB10 sight unseen. They're going after the users they lost to other platforms. Efforts will be more focused where that has happened the most.
    Personal - VZW BlackBerry Z10 - 10.2.1.537
    Work -VZW iPhone 5 - 7.0.4 - MobileIron
    Playbook - 32G

CrackBerry Abuser

I think the question RIM might find asking themselves is a little different then the question people are debating in this thread. I would expect RIM already has a set budget for launch/marketing in US, a different (higher or lower) budget for launch/marking in UK and every other region etc.

So the question for RIM is, should they use X% of the US marketing budget on super bowl advertise? Given the budget is specific to US, it does not need to be compared to IPL or FA Cup etc. What RIM is going to be doing is trying to predict if X% of US budget that they spend on super bowl advertise better spent somewhere else in US (not worldwide).

For example, considering only US traffic, is the money better spent if RIM puts an advertise on Google or www.facebook.com? Maybe it only gets 1/10th of super bowl traffic, but they may have higher conversion rate (because of specific demographic, because of better experience/presentation available on web, because of longer time/exposure instead of 30 seconds)? Maybe RIM thinks, if they can put the phone in a person's hand then they can make the sale with very high conversion rate, so when you walk into a verizon/att/t-mobile/sprint store, they will offer to pay you $1 to test the phone? Or is the money better spent on US celebrities? etc
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #32  

So, I think this thread created awsomeness ! I guess we will have and indeed see a Superbowl Ad !!!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,530 Global Posts
    PIN
    mic check one two, testing, check check

Quote Originally Posted by duth View Post
    So, I think this thread created awsomeness ! I guess we will have and indeed see a Superbowl Ad !!!

Aww shucks....
    Personal - VZW BlackBerry Z10 - 10.2.1.537
    Work -VZW iPhone 5 - 7.0.4 - MobileIron
    Playbook - 32G

duth likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12