What if BlackBerry would've release the KeyOne model back in 2008-09, I know it's a stretch but looking back that was the time when Blackberry/RIM released the BB Storm to compete with the iPhone which is known for its awful design and disastrous launch, but what if instead of releasing the Storm, BB would've release the KeyOne and change the way people used there phones, Can you imagine having a phone design in 2008-09, like the KeyOne or even the Passport,Q5-10 and the Classic along with the Z 10-30 series smartphones in those years competing with the Apple iPhone and Samsung, they would get destroyed, that's why I think BlackBerry and BB10 were 5 years late to the party, innovation is very important, and BB weren't up to par with technology in those years and Apple took advantage of the lack of innovation from competition and took over the world at a fast pace with its clean UI and easy to used OS, I personally think that BB10 would've been more of an easier OS to adapt to than IOS from consumers and would've gotten better priority from top developers over time. #PipeDream #WhatIf

Posted via CB10
    03-29-17 01:57 AM
    Well if they had of put out the KeyONE hardware with BB10 software in 2008, it would have been a massive success and blown everyone away.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-17 02:04 AM
    If they had a release-quality version of BB10 (i.e. at least 10.2.1) at this launch they'd have to have acquired QNX well before 2008, like 2003 or something.
    03-29-17 02:26 AM
    The aliens should have landed in Roswell 10 years before they did, bad on their part.

Posted via CB10
    valer466 likes this.
    03-29-17 02:51 AM
    Heh, it was a different time period. The Android prototypes all seemed to be cribbed from the Blackberry and Nokia E-series of the time, so the KEYone would have probably seemed derivative at the time.

Prototype: https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...1q155qbjpg.jpg
    Bold: http://www.smartphonefanatics.com/up...dow-745583.jpg
    E61i: http://cdn2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/nok...ia-e61i-00.jpg
    03-29-17 01:30 PM
    The premium market will dry up when we hit saturation in a year or two max. The winner will the those who design budget and midrange phones from that point.

I think everyone knows this is coming. The phone market is about to change radically. No longer will one be king based on marketing and large profit margins (Samsung, Apple I'm looking at you). The well is going to dry up.

Plus Windows ARM emulation, out this year some time, will change things to. Any manufacturer with an Android phone will be able to co-release a Windows phone just by writing windows drivers. Minimal effort. For that reason, we will likely also see Huawai, Xiaomi, Samsung budget Windows phones for the first time. The market will be flush with Windows, and not just Android. By that point, with the high portability of iOS and Android apps - as well as the power to use win32 apps - we might actually see Windows success in the phone market. At the very least, they will capture a niche power users market share, as they have with tablets.

If blackberry has any sense, they will develop their apps in the Windows platform, and aim for their next release to be a lower priced model with both Windows and Android.

I mean much lower priced. Midrange at highest.

People will soon be looking for a value proposition. Something that delivers the most features for the least cash. Something that specifically is useful, rather than something to show off. Well, at least until Samsung and Microsofts patented foldable graphene screens become mass produceable.

Without new user, product uptake, that premium market will collapse. People are looking from that point, to the long term - the cost of replacing their phone every 3-5 years, and are experienced in what phones actually do, rather than wow factor.

No doubt some people will still be dumb enough to be impressed by 6gb on the android platform, not realizing that's as excessive as 12gb on a windows 10 machine. But by that point few people will actually want to spend the wads of cash on that thing that makes virtually no practical difference to their lives. This is simply how markets have always moved. Pre-saturation is the hay day, the hype period. Where nike or ibm is something everyone wants. Everything past there is a point of diminishing novelty.

Last year was record lows in growth - 6% worldwide, one quarter nearly 0%, and a year average of just 2% in tech obsessed china. Saturation is nigh. Negative growth will follow. The smartphone has reached its peak. Samsung felt it last year, apple will this year.

What is probably more interesting is who will win those midrange and budget tiers now. Will Xiaomi continue to flourish? Is huawai even cheap enough any more? It's a highly competitive space, and I wonder will Samsung or apple be able to adapt quick enough - or will the share the same fate as nokia, IBM, and the other giants of the past.

I too wonder what happens with Samsung and microsofts alliance. They co-patented and co-developed the graphene OLED screen. That's clearly the next class of device, foldable and scrolling phones with smaller forms but bigger screens for the size. And it's clearly the next "got to have it, premium" device. When that hits, it once again will change the market.

The current smartphone market has no stability. That's an illusion brought on by pre-saturation.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 03-30-17 at 08:12 PM.
    03-30-17 07:46 PM
    If BlackBerry had strenuously reacted to the iphone then yeah we could have had 3 great ecosystems to choose from.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda, didn't...

"'Security by obscurity' means 'commercial failure.'" - Confucius
    03-31-17 05:40 AM
    Superapps that run cross platform will replace app ecosystems. The superapp itself will become the ecosystem, rather than the OS.

This guy explains it well. He's pretty OS impartial (He uses iOS, windows and android):

WeChat and Facebook are examples. Or microsofts plan for Cortana & skype bots (skype bots will be intergrated into Cortana, so that Cortana becomes a developer ecosystem).

Basically the apps are clustered around the superapp, rather than the OS. Great for developers, because its coding for a single platform - the interface, the super app, is the only thing that gets multiply coded.
    03-31-17 09:02 AM
    Superapps that run cross platform will replace app ecosystems. The superapp itself will become the ecosystem, rather than the OS.

This guy explains it well. He's pretty OS impartial (He uses iOS, windows and android):

WeChat and Facebook are examples. Or microsofts plan for Cortana & skype bots (skype bots will be intergrated into Cortana, so that Cortana becomes a developer ecosystem).

Basically the apps are clustered around the superapp, rather than the OS. Great for developers, because its coding for a single platform - the interface, the super app, is the only thing that gets multiply coded.
    How does it work exactly then?

Posted via CB10
    04-01-17 08:54 PM