After my Z10 took its final breath, I moved to a budget-priced Q10. It brought back and enhanced all the joys I experienced on a physical keyboard during my 9650 days. Now, I'm wondering about a possible limitation on physical keyboards or if there is a work around.

Currently, I am at the beginning of my study in learning languages other than English; my native language. I understand that on our BlackBerry 10 devices, we can select up to three languages and our keyboards can offer word suggestions and corrections in those languages.

I selected German and Spanish as the languages other than English that my keyboard will display. It is fascinating to see new words pop up that weren't in my word suggestions prior to making the change.

However, while the suggestions are cool, I don't understand how I would generate some letters from other languages without those suggestions. Some characters are not in the pop-up menu of symbols we have.

For example, these:

German: �, �, �, and �
    Spanish: �
    Russian: Г, Д, Е, Ё, Ж, З, И, Й, К (almost any of it, really)
    And, many other languages.

I have copied and pasted these. They display just fine. So, I can easily see they are able to work with my phone. But, I couldn't find any way to create them without relying on copying and pasting them.

Perhaps this is an issue because having a physical keyboard limits the characters available and my Z10 could have done it. Even still, I don't see any kind of menu that would allow me to type extra alphabet characters on screen. So, I suspect it would still be an issue for an all-touch, BB10 phone. But, perhaps an all-touch keyboard can just display an alternate alphabet in its entirety? I don't know.

To those of you who use your keywords in a bilingual way, or anyone who can respond to my question, how do you get your BB10 keyboards to type unique characters in other languages?

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 02:56 PM
    Have you tried holding the corresponding key down until the accented letter comes up?

E.g. Hold down s until � shows.

Posted via CB10
    BoldMaverick likes this.
    06-07-15 05:03 PM
    I just tried that upon your recommendation.

It works! Sweet!

Thank you! I didn't realize that was possible.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 05:09 PM
    Does that work for touch screen BlackBerry 10 users who may, also, have this question?

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 05:14 PM
    I assumed it would be the same as the touch keyboard.
    You just long press the key. Back in BBOS days you would press and hold the key then scroll through the available letters with the trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 05:14 PM
    Does that work for touch screen BlackBerry 10 users who may, also, have this question?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, it works on touch screen too.

Keyboard Question for Bilingual BlackBerry Users-img_20150607_235806.png

Posted via CB10
    nightridah likes this.
    06-07-15 11:58 PM
    I hadn't given serious thought to language studies in the BBOS days.

I'm almost giddy with delight about how such a simple solution was sitting "right under my fingers." (If you will pardon the cheesy pun.).

I'm excited to play with this function and get better acquainted with it and the possibilities it can offer.

Posted via CB10
    gebco likes this.
    06-08-15 06:53 AM
    Cool tip!

q10 - 10.3.2.798/sr .516  < σиє ℓσνє > 
    BoldMaverick likes this.
    06-08-15 07:03 AM