I've had 4 kb freezes since getting my Z10, the only thing that solved it was a restart. As it was happening around the 20% mark (regardless of charging or not), I was at a loss.
    On Monday I was speaking with my boss who suggested clearing the 'learned words' then restarting. Success, the keyboard is fixed.
    I contacted BlackBerry and they're looking into the bug.
    b320, cdnrower, Kancho25 and 1 others like this.
    02-11-13 08:00 PM
    Others have already reported this, and I've suggested the same thing. I think swift key needs to work on that as the only reason I suggested that to others is because that used to happen with my Nexus 4. I haven't had the keyboard ever freeze on my Z10 though...
    02-11-13 08:08 PM
    Disable all new feature (not carefuly test) in setting, and you will fine :d
    02-11-13 08:17 PM
    Others have already reported this, and I've suggested the same thing. I think swift key needs to work on that as the only reason I suggested that to others is because that used to happen with my Nexus 4. I haven't had the keyboard ever freeze on my Z10 though...
    I didn't know others had this too, never had SwiftKey freeze on my Galaxy Nexus but then it's baked into the OS on BlackBerry 10.
    02-11-13 08:22 PM
    So, my kb froze again today. The first thing I did was to clear my learned words - no effect. The second thing I did was to restart my Z10 - no effect.
    Ended up turning off my Z10 and waiting 5 minutes - fixed.

However, the kb freezing issue seems to be getting worse.

I'm going to tweet @blackberryhelp for suggestions.
    02-12-13 11:08 AM
    So, my kb froze again today. The first thing I did was to clear my learned words - no effect. The second thing I did was to restart my Z10 - no effect.
    Ended up turning off my Z10 and waiting 5 minutes - fixed.

However, the kb freezing issue seems to be getting worse.

I'm going to tweet @blackberryhelp for suggestions.
    Wipe your phone entirely. You seem to be one of the few people experiencing this. I literally have not restarted my Z10 once since I got it on the 5th and haven't had a single issue with the keyboard.
    j8330 likes this.
    02-12-13 11:14 AM
    Wipe your phone entirely. You seem to be one of the few people experiencing this. I literally have not restarted my Z10 once since I got it on the 5th and haven't had a single issue with the keyboard.
    I'm thinking of doing a wipe but will wait to see what @blackberryhelp suggest. Hope SwiftKey are aware of this too.
    02-12-13 11:28 AM
    Seeing all these problems are starting to steer me away from BB again. When the dev alphas came out, the glitches it had was excused because it was still just a dev alpha.

Looks like BB10 is still a dev alpha. Very disappointing. They have had a long time working on this and I still feel the phone is half baked.
    02-12-13 11:38 AM
    i've had the same problem. I restarted my BB more than 10 times now!. Any solutions?
    02-12-13 05:00 PM
    i've had the same problem. I restarted my BB more than 10 times now!. Any solutions?
    I'm now up to 8 restarts plus a total shut down. BlackBerry haven't responded to my tweets so I'm going to email SwiftKey and see what they suggest.
    02-12-13 05:13 PM
    Seeing all these problems are starting to steer me away from BB again. When the dev alphas came out, the glitches it had was excused because it was still just a dev alpha.

Looks like BB10 is still a dev alpha. Very disappointing. They have had a long time working on this and I still feel the phone is half baked.
    Yes, because a total of about 4 users out of thousands have reported keyboard freezes...My Nexus 4 restarts every few hours, an issue Google has acknowledged and yet has done nothing about in months. Is Android still a "dev alpha" as well?

No matter how good an OS is, there will ALWAYS be an extremely rare special circumstance which causes problems for a few users. Oh, and by the way, the keyboard issue is most likely Swift Key's fault as I had this happen on my Nexus 4, and yet I haven't had a single problem on my Z10. In fact, I haven't even restarted the phone since the 5th, and it runs exactly the same as it did when I first turned it on.

Try wiping the phone, as I've already suggested. Also, give us more details. What exactly are you doing when it freezes? Specific app? writing the same word? etc. Any details will help.
    02-12-13 05:55 PM
    Yes, because a total of about 4 users out of thousands have reported keyboard freezes...My Nexus 4 restarts every few hours, an issue Google has acknowledged and yet has done nothing about in months. Is Android still a "dev alpha" as well?

No matter how good an OS is, there will ALWAYS be an extremely rare special circumstance which causes problems for a few users. Oh, and by the way, the keyboard issue is most likely Swift Key's fault as I had this happen on my Nexus 4, and yet I haven't had a single problem on my Z10. In fact, I haven't even restarted the phone since the 5th, and it runs exactly the same as it did when I first turned it on.

Try wiping the phone, as I've already suggested. Also, give us more details. What exactly are you doing when it freezes? Specific app? writing the same word? etc. Any details will help.
    Using email, BBM, sms, browser, CB10, docs to go. Usually, the kb opens then I find I can't type on it. The last time (where I has to switch off totally), I was typing 'Gmail' into an email.
    I'm not complaining, more curious as to why it's happening. Hence asking here, BlackBerry and SwiftKey for suggestions. I'm a realist and know an OS with the same version and build numbers can be wildly different on 'identical' hardware.

I don't consider BlackBerry 10 on the Z10 to be a 'Dev Alpha' device.
    I post any quirks as I find them as they could be bugs.
    I've looked through BlackBerry's support articles and haven't found anything though that's not to say I haven't missed something.

A device wipe is my last resort, and I'll do that when sanctioned by BlackBerry.
    02-12-13 06:10 PM
    Please don't hijack this thread with vitriol. This thread is about OP's keyboard freezing issue. There are several "general gripes" threads that you can post in or you can start a new one. That would be nicer than hijacking the conversation here.

I'm now up to 8 restarts plus a total shut down. BlackBerry haven't responded to my tweets so I'm going to email SwiftKey and see what they suggest.
    SwiftKey doesn't provide support for built-in keyboard on BlackBerry 10 devices. If you want to help yourself, please perform a full security wipe and then full OS reload.

Security Wipes and OS reloads are standard troubleshooting procedures for BlackBerry devices, both legacy 7.x and modern BlackBerry 10. You do not need any "special" blessing from BlackBerry or anyone else to perform either.
    02-12-13 06:14 PM
    what are you doing with your device that you've had to restart it 10 times already?
    02-12-13 06:21 PM
    Please don't hijack this thread with vitriol. This thread is about OP's keyboard freezing issue. There are several "general gripes" threads that you can post in or you can start a new one. That would be nicer than hijacking the conversation here.

SwiftKey doesn't provide support for built-in keyboard on BlackBerry 10 devices. If you want to help yourself, please perform a full security wipe and then full OS reload.

Security Wipes and OS reloads are standard troubleshooting procedures for BlackBerry devices, both legacy 7.x and modern BlackBerry 10. You do not need any "special" blessing from BlackBerry or anyone else to perform either.
    I know I don't need a 'blessing' buy I'd rather wait for BlackBerry as I might be missing something simple. I value your advice.
    02-12-13 06:33 PM
    I find the keyboard works beautifully and it hasn't frozen on me once.

Man I love typing on this thing, especially the flick typing.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-12-13 06:47 PM
    Good thing I didn't wipe my Z10, BlackBerry want to look at my device logs and have asked me to contact my carrier to open a support ticket with BlackBerry.
    02-12-13 08:31 PM
    Good thing I didn't wipe my Z10, BlackBerry want to look at my device logs and have asked me to contact my carrier to open a support ticket with BlackBerry.
    Sometimes, patience is rewarding. Opening support tickets does help BlackBerry pinpoint problems, so if you're willing to help, that's great. Once you file your support ticket and BlackBerry gathers your logs (through the Help app), please do realize that a fix may not come until a software update is released, which may take a few months.

Our goal was to help you come to a point where you can use your device without such frequent restarts. Please do follow instructions from BlackBerry tech support if you're working with them instead of trying instructions from posters on here.
    02-12-13 08:36 PM
    Sometimes, patience is rewarding. Opening support tickets does help BlackBerry pinpoint problems, so if you're willing to help, that's great. Once you file your support ticket and BlackBerry gathers your logs (through the Help app), please do realize that a fix may not come until a software update is released, which may take a few months.

Our goal was to help you come to a point where you can use your device without such frequent restarts. Please do follow instructions from BlackBerry tech support if you're working with them instead of trying instructions from posters on here.
    The engineer in me told me to wait. Yes, a device wipe would have solved the problem for me. But how does that help others with the same issue?
    I do respect those who gave advice, and 5 years ago I'd have jumped on a device wipe.
    Going this route means everyone benefits.

Thanks to everyone who commented.
    02-12-13 08:46 PM
    The engineer in me told me to wait. Yes, a device wipe would have solved the problem for me. But how does that help others with the same issue?
    I do respect those who gave advice, and 5 years ago I'd have jumped on a device wipe.
    Going this route means everyone benefits.

Thanks to everyone who commented.
    I'm agreeing with you choosing the process you chose! I think I've also already complimented you on going through the (not fun) process of troubleshooting with BlackBerry, then opening a ticket through your carrier and submitting logs. All that takes time and effort and you doing it for the benefit of others is nice. It's good when people help each other or at least try.

Good luck.
    02-12-13 09:03 PM
    I'm agreeing with you choosing the process you chose! I think I've also already complimented you on going through the (not fun) process of troubleshooting with BlackBerry, then opening a ticket through your carrier and submitting logs. All that takes time and effort and you doing it for the benefit of others is nice. It's good when people help each other or at least try.

Good luck.
    Thanks. I wasn't entirely sure if you were agreeing or not. I appreciate your clarification.
    I know I'm in for 'the long haul' but it's worth it to benefit others.
    My kb hasn't frozen once between 06:00 on Feb 12th and now... Talk about 'sod's law'.
    Last edited by CJH_; 02-20-13 at 12:58 PM.
    02-12-13 09:14 PM
    Thanks. I wasn't entirely sure if you were agreeing or not. I appreciate your clarification.
    I know I'm in for 'the long haul' but it's worth it to benefit other.
    My kb hasn't frozen once between 06:00 on Feb 12th and now... Talk about 'sod's law'.
    that's how technology works!

02-12-13 11:08 PM
    that's how technology works!

It sure is... lol
    02-12-13 11:38 PM
    I've found that the quickest fix is to do the 5 swipe in from the top right corner of the hub to restart your hub. After that, there is no need to restart the device nor do a battery pull. Yes, it's slightly annoying but restarting the hub only takes a few seconds.
    02-13-13 01:40 AM
    I've found that the quickest fix is to do the 5 swipe in from the top right corner of the hub to restart your hub. After that, there is no need to restart the device nor do a battery pull. Yes, it's slightly annoying but restarting the hub only takes a few seconds.
    Are you saying that restarting the BlackBerry Hub also unfreezes the keyboard for you?
    02-13-13 01:45 AM
62 123