So everyone is clearly very excited about the subsequent bb10 device, the A10. Even blackberry themselves it seems. However there are several announcements recently put forth by blackberry that has me already really doubtful towards this phones purpose and future position in the market.

For starters, blackberry has now said that the device will release once the next best SOC would release. This is not only a very misguided agenda from their position, but also a eerily similar stance blackberry once had for a qnx device in the past --the bb playbook. Here's the big problem with that:

Unfortunately, the crazy rumors that Google's Nexus S would ship with a dual-core Orion processor didn't pan out, which means we're still waiting for a smartphone to ship with honest-to-goodness multicore silicon of any sort; it's still unclear just how soon we're going to see that wild dream come to fruition, but RIM's Mike Lazaridis is talking like he wants to take the lead in making it happen. At Dive Into Mobile this evening, Waterloo's outspoken co-CEO went on record that they'll be taking the PlayBook's QNX platform to smartphones just "as soon as [he has] dual core baseband CPUs," though power consumption remains a limiting factor. At any rate, RIM seems to be fully acknowledging now both that QNX is a little too beefy for today's smartphones and that BlackBerry OS isn't quite beefy enough, which leaves these guys in a bit of a pinch until the dual-core revolution takes hold.
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/07/r...nes-when-dual/

They're pulling the same excuses they were 2.5 years ago under Mike L. Why in the world are they waiting for the next available high end SOC in their position right now? They cannot afford to miss the mark again timing wise. I find it even more surprising knowing how hyped qnx was for being efficient. For some reason its the same OS that runs on your vacuum yet can't run effectively on any low end smartphone hardware or the playbook. What a joke bb10 has shaped up to be.

Then there's this: http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/7/10...5-inch-display

Why in the world are they attempting to advertise this device's gaming abilities with hardly any games on the platform? Don't even mention those old Gameloft and super casual time wasters that everyone has had forever either. Those games won't fly. For gamers to even remotely take gaming on bb10 seriously, it must require the latest popular mobile titles. Not just a few good ones that are ancient to everyone else now. Point is no one will care about the gaming on the A10 without the content. And everyone knows its never going to get there.

Seems this device does not have a very good start so far.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Blackberry_Fiend likes this.
    07-11-13 08:48 AM
    Honesty, I'm inclined to agree with your sentiments on this note. I cringed when I read the article on THE VERGE yesterday. I don't see any particular reason to advertise that it's a great gaming/entertainment phone when the platform itself is suffering from an availability of games not to mention that the available games ARE older in comparison to other platforms. So, despite the bigger screen, what would make me want to come back/over to the platform? Certainly, not the overwhelming urge to play a game I already had on another platform MONTHS beforehand. Then there's the rumor of not going quad core and sticking to dual core due to battery life. Kinda bites the whole "flagship" tagline in the ****. That's all, I'm out. Deuces.
    07-11-13 09:00 AM
    Honesty, I'm inclined to agree with your sentiments on this note. I cringed when I read the article on THE VERGE yesterday. I don't see any particular reason to advertise that it's a great gaming/entertainment phone when the platform itself is suffering from an availability of games not to mention that the available games ARE older in comparison to other platforms. So, despite the bigger screen, what would make me want to come back/over to the platform? Certainly, not the overwhelming urge to play a game I already had on another platform MONTHS beforehand. Then there's the rumor of not going quad core and sticking to dual core due to battery life. Kinda bites the whole "flagship" tagline in the ****. That's all, I'm out. Deuces.
    Agreed. Blackberry needs to come to a better consensus on how they want market this device. Advertising it as a gaming device is a complete mistake.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-11-13 08:55 PM
    I think it's a great idea to POINT OUT that it's awesome at gaming, as *part* of its collection of features...

But, they should certainly not market it PRIMARILY on its gaming abilities.

That issue aside, I'm expecting a mid range dual core 1.5 ghz, 8 mp camera (probably same as in the Z10).

BlackBerry NEVER comes out with top hardware. I think it's written into their corporate governance.

Clearly, their plan is to make money off the hardware itself since they are losing service revenues from BIS.

This means they MUST come out with cheaper "Passable" hardware that they can make a great margin on. I don't think they have the economy of scale to make any money on the type of hardware we actually want to see.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 02:32 AM
    I hope the specs turn out to be better than predicted. Right now it basically just sounds like a z10 with a bigger screen

I hope they give it a quad core and 4 gb of ram. Bb10 is a pretty demanding os which could really take advantage of those specs

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 02:37 AM