According to the post below and a twitter exchange with someone in Blackberry development, a "longer than 30 days" email sync option is on the list of planned BB10 enhancements:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...g-soon-775464/
    02-25-13 05:31 PM
    I really hope they have the "No Limit" option like the Iphone. I want to keep all my emails forever and not just a period of time

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 06:30 PM
    BIS is no more so why is this being limited to 30 days? We should be able to just poll the email server and download whatever to the phone, correct?
    With BIS , the limitations makes sense to some extent.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 10:03 PM
    BIS is no more so why is this being limited to 30 days? We should be able to just poll the email server and download whatever to the phone, correct?
    With BIS , the limitations makes sense to some extent.
    This has nothing to do with BIS, which most people used to improve the usability of the old POP3 protocol. ActiveSync (which is what this pertains to, and perhaps also IMAP, which is similiar) is a sync protocol, not a dumb store/forward download protocol like POP3.

Trying to synchronize an entire gargantuan mailbox to a small handheld device over a cellular connection is not only:

• a huge system resource hog if every user tries to do that
    • will potentially cost users a lot of money in data transfer charges to sync stuff where the chance of them needing to read any of it any time soon are infinitesimal
    • will potentially load up the mobile device with tons of data, using up space, slowing it down, and making it a bigger liability walking around with all that data on there

...but just as importantly, the system administrators can block users from syncing that old stuff anyway, and many organizations do exactly that due to the reasons given above.

If it was such a no-brainer, every vendor who implemented that protocol would just leave the setting at "forever" and not even offer such a setting to users. Apple devices for example default that setting to 3 days.
    ubizmo likes this.
    02-25-13 10:16 PM
    Read in another thread today that it will be addressed in spring update.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 11:00 PM
    Read in another thread today that it will be addressed in spring update.
    See post #26.
    02-26-13 12:05 AM
    If it was such a no-brainer, every vendor who implemented that protocol would just leave the setting at "forever" and not even offer such a setting to users. Apple devices for example default that setting to 3 days.
    This makes sense. I think most people could live with a limited amount of email stored and continuously synced on the device in conjunction with the ability to find and retrieve older emails when needed. Even the Gmail app on my Android phone only holds a relatively small number of email conversations locally on the device. If I want to see more, I scroll past the end and briefly see "Loading conversations" as more are fetched. This is efficient and works just fine. If I need to dig deeper, the search will find any email on the server and present it on the device. I'd be satisfied with similar functionality, as I think many others would too.

If it worked this way on BB10, I'd probably keep it set to less than 30 days (when I actually have a BB10 phone!).
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-26-13 07:38 AM
    This makes sense. I think most people could live with a limited amount of email stored and continuously synced on the device in conjunction with the ability to find and retrieve older emails when needed. Even the Gmail app on my Android phone only holds a relatively small number of email conversations locally on the device. If I want to see more, I scroll past the end and briefly see "Loading conversations" as more are fetched. This is efficient and works just fine. If I need to dig deeper, the search will find any email on the server and present it on the device. I'd be satisfied with similar functionality, as I think many others would too.

If it worked this way on BB10, I'd probably keep it set to less than 30 days (when I actually have a BB10 phone!).
    Blackberry10 does that already. On a server that supports sync (ie IMAP or EAS), there is a "remote search" button, which will search for messages on the server that are not on the device.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-26-13 02:04 PM
    Blackberry10 does that already. On a server that supports sync (ie IMAP or EAS), there is a "remote search" button, which will search for messages on the server that are not on the device.
    Then I don't understand the problem people are having. Gmail, for example, is now IMAP, right? So it should be possible to search and find old emails, but people are complaining that they have to do it in the browser. Is the capability there but broken?
    02-26-13 02:21 PM
    Do you have a screen shot of the "remote search" screen? I've asked about this many times and so far everyone who has responded has told me that this is not an option. I'm wondering how extensive the remote search is ... attachments, to/from, full text, etc.
    02-26-13 02:26 PM
    Do you have a screen shot of the "remote search" screen? I've asked about this many times and so far everyone who has responded has told me that this is not an option. I'm wondering how extensive the remote search is ... attachments, to/from, full text, etc.
    See message #13 here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-10-a-773930/

It may only be a BES/EAS thing. Someone else posted recently that the Z10 did this with generic EAS, pretty sure, can't find the msg right now and running out the door..

I don't have a BB10 device here to check.
    02-26-13 02:58 PM
    Just FWIW: It's on the EAS/Exchange account settings as "Mail Days to Sync". See image.

That said - it's not really practical to keep "everything", and the operator of the server can easily block that via server policy, and many do, to manage resource usage.

Apparently a bunch of iPhone users got uptight about that last December when GoDaddy clamped a policy on their Exchange/EAS accounts and "No Limit" no longer worked on their devices.

Attachment 137233
    This is not true since I'm with GoDaddy EAS and have "No Limit" for my Hosted Exchange.

I still have access to all of them and my inbox shows over 2,000 emails.
    02-26-13 03:03 PM
    I'll get over it. I can always go to the website. Would like it to hold them indefinitely though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    And gobble up data, if that's a concern, and if it and/or wifi are always available when travelling. Unfortunately, they arent'.

For me, the 30-day limit is a deal-breaker.
    02-26-13 03:33 PM
    Are you all joking? This is a Gmail issue, not Blackberry. Read some of the other 100 threads on this, or Google it.

I had the same issue on my Iphone with Gmail.

Posted from my Z10.
    What are you talking about? Is it a gmail issue only for BB? Cause it's not for other OSes (it wasn't for my ipod). If so, it's still a very serious limitation for people such as myself. And on my PB, the 30-day limit applies also to my Shaw pop3 account.
    Last edited by brianatbb; 02-26-13 at 04:07 PM.
    02-26-13 03:36 PM
    I think if enough people to call BlackBerry support and create tickets, it will let BB know that this is a feature that's much wanted/needed.
    They got this message loud and clear over the Playbook. And still did nothing.
    02-26-13 03:37 PM
    Here is the user post I am basing my claim about "remote search" upon. It appears this may apply to EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) only at this time, but I see no reason why they could not implement this for IMAP as well, since the basic client implementation requirements on the client should be similiar, just the protocol and how it communicates to the server would be different.

dtsolov post #154 2013-02-16 from thread "iPhones being shut down by corporations could = Blackberry 10, Z10 HUGE SALES! Spread the word!"

Scroll done to the search results and choose remote search at the very bottom of the list, and we'll, it does what it says

Here was his followup message when I asked him to verify:

Yes, search goes through your entire mailbox. It works this way for os10, Ios, android and windows phone. Z10 handles it fine.

Lastly, I should note that when it comes to Gmail, while it will support standard IMAP access, Gmail has added "extensions" to IMAP that require specifically coding for Gmail in order to get more "Gmail-like" functionality from a mail app.

https://developers.google.com/google...map_extensions

Obviously with a platform that Google has seen fit to write their own dedicated mail app for, that's a non-issue. But we may not see one of those on Blackberry 10 any time soon.
    02-26-13 05:13 PM
    As an example why system administrators often loathe such features, for all the people who just think "keep forever" or "search everything" is "free", from a discussion from the Mozilla Thunderbird developers mailing list:

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/t...ch/000402.html

On 29.02.2012 18:05, Tanstaafl wrote:
    > Yes, but I can't tell you how many times I've had people bring our
    > Courier-IMAP server to its knees by clicking the 'Body' criteria on a
    > folder with 10GB+ of email in it...
    Also apparently with Gmail, there is a special "all mail" folder that must be specifically visible to IMAP clients if you want "remote search" to work:

http://www.sparrowmailapp.com/iphone/faq/1/Search.html
    Last edited by Omnitech; 02-26-13 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Added gmail comment
    02-26-13 05:22 PM
    This is not true since I'm with GoDaddy EAS and have "No Limit" for my Hosted Exchange.

I still have access to all of them and my inbox shows over 2,000 emails.
    This is the discussion I was basing that comment upon:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

I don't know what specific limit they pushed out via policy at the point those Apple users all complained about it, but it has nothing to do with number of emails per-se, it is generally based on age of the messages, regardless which folder they are in or how many of them there are.
    02-26-13 05:28 PM
    Data hog and storage excuses for emails is no longer relevant. We got wifi and 16gb expandable memory. And LTE HSPA.
    Its only relevant for legacy devices. Not for Z10.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 09:59 PM
    Data hog and storage excuses for emails is no longer relevant.
    Once again, I disagree. I am not going to re-hash the technical reasons for the umpteenth time.
    ubizmo likes this.
    02-26-13 11:30 PM
    I'm late to the game but, my ATT and Yahoo accounts' emails disappear after 30 days. Oddly my Earthlink emails seem to stay since I got my Q10 in Jan, 2014. It seems I am a year late to this problem - has anybody figured it out? I can still power up my old Torch and see the emails from 2011 through 2013. Also my Q10 no longer has the "D" for "delivered" or "R" for "Read" on my sent emails nor a way to set whether my phone is reporting what I am doing. Love my Q10, just pissed that I lost some useful simple stuff from the Torch (9800). Any help appreciated, using 10.2.1.2179, Thanks, Will
    06-15-14 02:11 AM
    I'm late to the game but, my ATT and Yahoo accounts' emails disappear after 30 days. Oddly my Earthlink emails seem to stay since I got my Q10 in Jan, 2014. It seems I am a year late to this problem - has anybody figured it out? I can still power up my old Torch and see the emails from 2011 through 2013. Also my Q10 no longer has the "D" for "delivered" or "R" for "Read" on my sent emails nor a way to set whether my phone is reporting what I am doing. Love my Q10, just pissed that I lost some useful simple stuff from the Torch (9800). Any help appreciated, using 10.2.1.2179, Thanks, Will
    Delete your email accounts in your BB10.
    And after that, re log in your email accounts but this time, before finishing up your set up, you will see a drop list at the bottom of the set up.
    And here, you choose whether to have your email sync to 30days or forever.

Posted via my Astro Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3175
    06-15-14 02:24 AM
    Get K9 Mail and use that to keep emails. It will keep them as long as you wish. I was running it in addition to the standard email app in the Hub until recently. I just wiped my phone and reinstalled my OS and haven't yet reinstalled K9 Mail.
    06-15-14 10:25 AM
48 12