Here:

I knew I could browse on my DLNA "client" but this is the first time I saw "Play On"...
    Lehomer, ruvcan, axllebeer and 2 others like this.
    02-03-13 12:16 PM
    That is super cool if it really is that easy. All baked into BB10.
    02-03-13 12:36 PM
    Sweet. Just like all share cast feature on my note 2. This just shows that the z10 got down played at the big unveiling. They need to work on their presentation skills haha
    02-03-13 12:44 PM
    Now that is cool !
    02-03-13 12:44 PM
    Doesn't the 9900 also do this?
    02-03-13 01:46 PM
    Doesn't the 9900 also do this?
    You can activate media server and the other device will have access to the file system but you cannot control it from the phone.
    02-03-13 01:59 PM
    AWESOME! Now I can get rid of my apple TV.

Thanks for the video!
    jesse_h and axllebeer like this.
    02-03-13 02:00 PM
    It doesn't make any sense to me why BBRY isn't talking about these features?I can't believe after all this excellent execution (except the USA distribution delay) to get this product to market that features like these weren't demonstrated at the Global Launch party. I mean, it's almost as if BlackBerry wants this thing to fail somehow...

Though I think Thorston is a light year more capable than the other two CEO's of the past that ran BB into the ground, I am starting to think he's pretty inept himself...what a freaking fiasco the launch was. Such a missed opportunity...

Stuff like this would have had people squirming in their seats and pissing their pants!
    02-03-13 02:21 PM
    Here is the video example

I know it's done through Android via apps. Not sure about WP8 at all. Apple's cost more $ as usual.

Definitely should at least be mentioned by BBRY marketing for it's ease of use.
    axllebeer likes this.
    02-03-13 02:39 PM
    It doesn't make any sense to me why BBRY isn't talking about these features?

Though I think Thorston is a light year more capable than the other two CEO's of the past that ran BB into the ground, I am starting to think he's pretty inept himself...what a freaking fiasco the launch was. Such a missed opportunity...

Stuff like this would have had people squirming in their seats and pissing their pants!
    He isn't talking about it because every new phone can do this, it isn't special at all. Hub, peek, time shift is where the money is.
    anon5645485 likes this.
    02-03-13 03:08 PM
    He isn't talking about it because every new phone can do this, it isn't special at all. Hub, peek, time shift is where the money is.
    So we're all supposed to just randomly discover these features like the Easter egg boot percentage animation? Sorry, but this isn't a game of Where's Waldo - this is the survival of their company here...
    02-03-13 03:52 PM
    THAT IS AWESOME!!!! I have to go out an buy an xbox or some other kind of DLNA device for my TV now..
    k3vtruj likes this.
    02-03-13 04:47 PM
    Every new phone can do this without having to pay for a 3rd party app and with phone control? Which ones exactly?
    02-03-13 05:57 PM
    Every new phone can do this without having to pay for a 3rd party app and with phone control? Which ones exactly?
    You can check here:
    http://www.dlna.org/consumer-home/look-for-dlna/product-searc
    Frankly there are a lot of mobile phones that can do it, Hey, even the xbox can receive and it has been out for years.
    02-03-13 07:16 PM
    I now see a need for a smart TV in my future.
    02-03-13 07:22 PM
    The point is that not everyone knows about it, and if you don't mention it, no one will know it. Just like how most phones have a camera, but you still mention it in the specifications.

Not everyone knows about DLNA, so if you tell them about it, they go "cool! I want a BB10". Instead of "hey, the Samsung phone can do DNLA, but I didn't hear about it on the BB10"
    02-03-13 07:24 PM
    I now see a need for a smart TV in my future.
    Just get a xbox you get dlna and netflix.
    02-03-13 11:45 PM
    You can check here:
    404 - Page Not Found
    Frankly there are a lot of mobile phones that can do it, Hey, even the xbox can receive and it has been out for years.
    I know this. I've been doing it with a ps3 for years (unlike xbox wi-fi is built in). Also with a Sony blu-ray player. That list will not tell you exactly how the phones access the feature.
    Last edited by Justthecrack; 02-04-13 at 02:02 AM.
    MoolahMitch likes this.
    02-04-13 01:51 AM
    This is a neat feature, but wish they took it a step further to allow to use "play on" for media from other apps and websites. I am more likely to be listening to music from Songza or Jango than to music stored on my device; and more likely to be viewing a video on Youtube. Would be great to be able to select "play on" for that type of media as well.
    02-08-13 03:17 PM
    Just a note - I was quite aware of DLNA - in fact that is why I have PS3 pretty much. However, I was not aware of the feature that allows the "server" to instruct the "player" (renderer) what to do.

And now I know why I didn't know - PS3 can't do that You can only browse from it and play....

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 11:26 PM
    It can do even more :-) A DLNA device could also just act as a controller with no need to be a server at the same time...just imagine this

My NAS (Server) <---> My BB10 device (Client/Server/Controller) <--> My TV/Room Audio System (Client/Renderer)

This means, a BB10 could theoretically also become a client to consume media from a server (play a movie for instance from your NAS on the phone) and it could also beome a pure controller which does not consume the media from your NAS itself, but tells the TV to "consume" a movie from your NAS or a song to your DLNA stereo. Unfortunately not everything is yet implemented and BB10 acts as a server and controller but is not able to controll the streaming between 2 other devices.

I created a visual draft for implementing DLNA client functionality in the BB10 media apps and hope that someone at BB picks this up :-) :-)

02-13-13 10:44 AM