All those talks about how great QNX is don't take into account the fact that BB10 is made by Blackberry. And all Blackberry can produce is delays, delays for half-baked results eventually.

There is no way Blackberry will do all those futuristic things, as they can't even provide perfect imap support as they used to do.
    This is a pretty constructive comment.
    RIMM is no more. BBRY has taken over....and NO, they're NOT the same company.
    I've said this in other posts, and it's only my opinion but: I will ALWAYS choose to look at life (my love for BB included) with "the class 1/2 full" mentality.
    Anything less is cheating myself.
    bungaboy and Dapper37 like this.
    02-27-13 10:30 AM
    Sincere question from someone who wants to understand this better.

Can anyone name a single app in the 70,000+ store that takes advantage of this game-changing operating system?

Is there an app that can do something, where this something is not possible on other mobile OS's but only on QNX? If some developer writes such an app, it would be a great differentiator, no?
    02-27-13 10:35 AM
    Hmmm, No mention of QNX in the article.
    02-27-13 10:36 AM

Can anyone name a single app in the 70,000+ store that takes advantage of this game-changing operating system?

Is there an app that can do something, where this something is not possible on other mobile OS's but only on QNX? If some developer writes such an app, it would be a great differentiator, no?
    I am not sure here are enough QNX powered devices out there. For now, I think we have some of the Car systems, BBM screen share, and Blackberry Bridge that are demonstrable as a QNX benefit. I am not sure you would utilize "apps" in the traditional sense of the word. I think the machines themselves would be like your apps.
    02-27-13 10:40 AM
    I am not sure here are enough QNX powered devices out there. For now, I think we have some of the Car systems, BBM screen share, and Blackberry Bridge that are demonstrable as a QNX benefit. I am not sure you would utilize "apps" in the traditional sense of the word. I think the machines themselves would be like your apps.
    The Playbook is QNX powered.

Car systems - is there an BB10 app I can look at that makes use of unique QNX features

Blackberry Bridge - Not unique to QNX, after all the bridge runs on BBOS7. This is just a client-server implementation where the phone offers up services and a client on the Playbook consumes them.

BBM Screen Share - Interesting, this is a possibility. Does it actually use the QNX remote objects feature? There are screen sharing apps in Android and iOS, not from phone to phone, but from desktop to phone. Example is Google Hangouts, in which you can have a multi-participant video chat with Android, iOS, MacOS, Windows, and Ubuntu users. The desktop users can choose to share their screen with everyone on the chat. I don't think Android has an API that would allow you to share the phone "desktop", but this is possible.
    02-27-13 11:05 AM

I don't own a z10 so I could be out of line here, but i'm pretty sure ANY app would continue to run, or stay alive in the background on the z10 and PB.
    (at least it did when I had my PB)
    On my droid, they don't. exp: youtube-if I leave the vid, it stops. I've read it doesn't on a QNX based device.
    02-27-13 11:14 AM
    I don't own a z10 so I could be out of line here, but i'm pretty sure ANY app would continue to run, or stay alive in the background on the z10 and PB.
    (at least it did when I had my PB)
    On my droid, they don't. exp: youtube-if I leave the vid, it stops. I've read it doesn't on a QNX based device.
    If I active frame a running video, it stops playing. Maybe there's a setting somewhere to stop that.
    I know on the LG Optimus G or summat like that this wasn't the case.
    There is no real world benefit to QNX evident yet in BB10, at least, this question has been asked a thousand times but never been answered.
    02-27-13 11:34 AM
    I don't know of any apps. You have to understand that for the machines to "connect" it has to be powered by QNX. Those machines connect through some kind of data connect, 3g/4g, Wifi, Bluetooth, and a 4th that I can't remember what it is. The QNX microKernel is able to run all these machines as one, kind of like multi tasking apps as long as there is a data connection. So if your toaster is run by QNX software, when you get up in the morning not only can you tell your toaster to load up toast, but you would be able to monitor the toast as it goes through the cooking process, ie temp, darkness, etc. I don't think QNX is developed to the point where an app is developed to connect to Non-QNX machines. Hahaha, I am actually the wrong person to be asking as I don't really fully understand it all, let alone being able to properly explain it. Very abstract stuff. I read in another thread, that IF Blackberry brings BB10 to the playbook, we can expect to see some mind boggling stuff that will blow bridge out of the water.
    02-27-13 11:37 AM
    I don't know of any apps. You have to understand that for the machines to "connect" it has to be powered by QNX. Those machines connect through some kind of data connect, 3g/4g, Wifi, Bluetooth, and a 4th that I can't remember what it is. The QNX microKernel is able to run all these machines as one, kind of like multi tasking apps as long as there is a data connection. So if your toaster is run by QNX software, when you get up in the morning not only can you tell your toaster to load up toast, but you would be able to monitor the toast as it goes through the cooking process, ie temp, darkness, etc. I don't think QNX is developed to the point where an app is developed to connect to Non-QNX machines. Hahaha, I am actually the wrong person to be asking as I don't really fully understand it all, let alone being able to properly explain it. Very abstract stuff. I read in another thread, that IF Blackberry brings BB10 to the playbook, we can expect to see some mind boggling stuff that will blow bridge out of the water.
    Hehehe. At least you're honest and included the statement saying you don't really understand how it works, I've got to give you props for that!
    I have to say, I'm no expert either, but I'm pretty sure most of your post is inaccurate.
    Even if your house is packed with things running QNX at the moment, I'm 99.9% certain you won't be able to use that in any way at the moment, or going forward, unless you get new stuff around your house with new versions of QNX.
    Even that's not really very likely.
    But hey, we can always hope right?
    02-27-13 12:03 PM
    If I active frame a running video, it stops playing. Maybe there's a setting somewhere to stop that.
    I know on the LG Optimus G or summat like that this wasn't the case.
    There is no real world benefit to QNX evident yet in BB10, at least, this question has been asked a thousand times but never been answered.
    I guess my biggest question is: why the constant bickering, belittling & insulting?????
    This is a BB enthusiast site. Is it really necessary to roll in and take pot shots? Is it common practice to roll into a Ford Dealership and tell them Ford sux?
    The problem with websites is, posters are anonymous. Hiding behide a rock, popping your head up, take a shot & duck back down again.
    It just gets tiring. It makes ppl who want to learn about the Z10 not even want to hang around here.
    If this is the objective of some, you've succeeded.
    bungaboy and Dapper37 like this.
    02-27-13 12:10 PM
    I guess my biggest question is: why the constant bickering, belittling & insulting?????
    This is a BB enthusiast site. Is it really necessary to roll in and take pot shots? Is it common practice to roll into a Ford Dealership and tell them Ford sux?
    The problem with websites is, posters are anonymous. Hiding behide a rock, popping your head up, take a shot & duck back down again.
    It just gets tiring. It makes ppl who want to learn about the Z10 not even want to hang around here.
    If this is the objective of some, you've succeeded.
    Eh? I haven't belittled anyone in the post you've quoted, nor insulted anyone.
    If I bought a Ford and had a problem, I would certainly roll into the Ford Dealership and tell them.
    Seems fair, no?
    02-27-13 12:18 PM
    I think you are understating the uniqueness of the transparent distributed processing capabilities of QNX. To me that is much more interesting than the RTOS capability. Read this excerpt from this article, it does a good job at explaining it:

BlackBerry 10: Forget about the phone - it's the OS that really counts | ZDNet
    I read that article some time ago. It shows a magic world in which machines work together just because are using the same OS. My washing machine use QNX and magically It can be controlled with my electric toothbrush which also use QNX.

It's not QNX what make possible this interaction, you need a custom software that know about washing machines, or electric toothbrush, etc. The manufacturer of washing machines has to develop that software. QNX and BlackBerry don't know anything about washing machines.

So, the manufacturer has the option of using the capabilities of a particular OS to build this software, or develop a general interface that can be accessed from any devices. What do you think they'd chose?
    An open interface of course, there isn't any advantage in implementing this software for a single OS.

An example, the router that people use at home to share the internet connection with many devices. To configure this mini-computer you connect it to a PC (or Mac or Linux) using a ethernet wire. The PC pull a software (web page) from the router. Through this software you have access to a complex interface with lots of options and information, you get control of the router through machine to machine communication.

The router could give a really complex software to the PC with 3d graphics, real time data, a lot of interaction, etc. Is QNX needed? No.
    02-27-13 12:34 PM
    I find the car example and how QNX will enable all of these things only for blackberry to be complete BS.

1. Onstar will already interface with iPhone and Android to tell you Fuel level, diagnostics etc. Funny but it is not available for BB10 devices ??
    2. There is no way that Auto manufacturers will develop exclusive BB10 iterations when Blackberry is no longer a dominant force. If this was 10 Years ago and every executive carried a Blackberry then yes this could have happened.

Unfortunately BB sat back and let the competition take over the market, the best they can do going forward is to become relevant enough that companies make an app for BB10 at the same time as they do for Android and iPhone.
    02-27-13 12:49 PM
    Eh? I haven't belittled anyone in the post you've quoted, nor insulted anyone.
    If I bought a Ford and had a problem, I would certainly roll into the Ford Dealership and tell them.
    Seems fair, no?
    I don't know about belittling but you are a persistent and consistent Blackberry critic from the posts I've seen from you. Honestly I'm not sure why you even spend so much time posting here if all you do is try to nitpick about everything you think is wrong with the product and company.

Most of the rest of the world (at least here in the USA) takes stupid lame unwarranted potshots at Blackberry day-in/day-out. You don't need to be here to participate in that.
    spyeagle and Cesare21 like this.
    02-27-13 03:17 PM
    Unfortunately BB sat back and let the competition take over the market, the best they can do going forward is to become relevant enough that companies make an app for BB10 at the same time as they do for Android and iPhone.
    They certainly won't have any chance of making that happen when all their "fans" will do is sit around and gripe instead of trying to support what they are doing.
    02-27-13 03:19 PM

I can name one. You can make/receive phone calls at the same time as your phone is doing restore! Here is a quote from another thread:

Rav813 - Im at 32% and counting....

One interesting observation though.... my phone actually managed to take a call WHILE the restore process was being carried out..... I have NEVER seen this on a phone - iOS, Android or even the OLD BB's..... and I've had all of them.

Micro-Kernel architecture at work maybe? The BB10 OS has just received a whole new level of respect....
    02-27-13 03:37 PM
    I can name one. You can make/receive phone calls at the same time as your phone is doing restore! Here is a quote from another thread:
    I want to understand. What does "restore" mean for Android or iOS? What's the equivalent?
    02-27-13 03:42 PM
    I don't know about belittling but you are a persistent and consistent Blackberry critic from the posts I've seen from you. Honestly I'm not sure why you even spend so much time posting here if all you do is try to nitpick about everything you think is wrong with the product and company.

Most of the rest of the world (at least here in the USA) takes stupid lame unwarranted potshots at Blackberry day-in/day-out. You don't need to be here to participate in that.
    Lol.
    I get much more abuse than I dish out, usually delivered to me in a fairly ignorant manner.
    I'm a critic when I have problems. I own a Z10. I struggle with it at times. Do you own one?
    You continue believing everyone's taking 'stupid lame unwarranted potshots' and I will continue explaining, as slowly as I can, genuine issues I am facing and others will likely face.
    If you then choose to bury your head in the sand and ignore it, that's up to you.

Seriously though, saying someone is insulting, belittling etc and then not being able to back that claim up makes you look a proper troll.
    02-27-13 03:56 PM
    They certainly won't have any chance of making that happen when all their "fans" will do is sit around and gripe instead of trying to support what they are doing.
    They also won't have much of a chance if all their 'fans' sit around saying everything's fine when it's not and ignoring genuine issues or problems.
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-27-13 03:58 PM
    I find the car example and how QNX will enable all of these things only for blackberry to be complete BS.

1. Onstar will already interface with iPhone and Android to tell you Fuel level, diagnostics etc. Funny but it is not available for BB10 devices ??
    2. There is no way that Auto manufacturers will develop exclusive BB10 iterations when Blackberry is no longer a dominant force. If this was 10 Years ago and every executive carried a Blackberry then yes this could have happened.

Unfortunately for Apple and Google, they sat back and spent the last few years developing slick phone and tablet O/S's that are fundamentally unsuited to work in the coming M2M world, which is by all accounts the next 'big thing'. By the time they wake up and realize they have to totally gut and re-architect their platforms in order to play a central role and not by left on the sidelines (just like Blackberry had to do with it's old O/S), they will be scrambling to stay relevant.

Of all the platforms out there, the one with the best odds at becoming the operating system of the M2M world in the future, its Blackberry.

And please, folks - stop asking for examples today as 'proof' - they don't exist yet, its all way too new and this is a long-term opportunity that Blackberry may (or may not) be able execute successfully. It's still a vision, not reality, and no one has said anything different.
    R Field likes this.
    02-27-13 04:36 PM
    Unfortunately for Apple and Google, they sat back and spent the last few years developing slick phone and tablet O/S's that are fundamentally unsuited to work in the coming M2M world, which is by all accounts the next 'big thing'. By the time they wake up and realize they have to totally gut and re-architect their platforms in order to play a central role and not by left on the sidelines (just like Blackberry had to do with it's old O/S), they will be scrambling to stay relevant.

Of all the platforms out there, the one with the best odds at becoming the operating system of the M2M world in the future, its Blackberry.

And please, folks - stop asking for examples today as 'proof' - they don't exist yet, its all way too new and this is a long-term opportunity that Blackberry may (or may not) be able execute successfully. It's still a vision, not reality, and no one has said anything different.
    Unfortunately for Blackberry, the competition has already been working on M2M projects, and they do exist today, and without *gasp* QNX
    Socks-on with Samsung's washing machine Android app | Android Central

Considering Samsung also makes a plethora of other in house devices such as refigerators, stoves etc (unlike Blackberry), if i'm looking for real world uses of M2M, i'll be looking to OEM's like Samsung and LG who already make household appliances and other goodies for me to interact with..
    bobauckland likes this.
    02-27-13 04:51 PM
    Unfortunately for Blackberry, the competition has already been working on M2M projects, and they do exist today, and without *gasp* QNX
    Socks-on with Samsung's washing machine Android app | Android Central

Considering Samsung also makes a plethora of other in house devices such as refigerators, stoves etc (unlike Blackberry), if i'm looking for real world uses of M2M, i'll be looking to OEM's like Samsung and LG who already make household appliances and other goodies for me to interact with..
    That's a cool example of an app on a smartphone - but no one ever said that developers can't build standalone apps that run on older O/S environments that can interface with other devices in a client/server or remote control tpe of way. Apple, Google and even Blackberry will do their best to build out apps and extensions like this one, and we will see a flood of them on all platforms as the transitory phase of mass M2M. It's just like the example of the BB 7.x Bridge on the Playbook - you can simulate the 'seamless' end-user experience of a distributed processing platform by writing an app, but at the end of the day its still a kludgy work-around compared to what can be done with two devices running the same transparent distributed processsing RTOS. And Samsung will still need to create a separate app for each and every line of equipment it wants to connect, because it is connecting at the app level and not the OS level.

I will argue that iOS and Andriod will never, ever become embedded operating systems outside of the smartphone/tablet market, simply because they are inherently limited at their core and would have to be reverse engineered to work outside of the world for which they were originally designed. Android won't be the OS of choice that runs devices like a washer and dryer - but it may be an O/S that can support a 3rd party app that can interface with the OS that is running the device - and that's ok. But what can be done in that model is inherently limited to what can potentially be done between two devices running the same O/S.

Remember, the key difference is that QNX is the first widely adopted, embedded device OS to also become the embedded OS on a portable hand-held smartphone. The smartphone becomes the mobile extension of the distributed OS. There is no embedded OS based on iOS or Android out there running devices in the wild other than phones and tablets, nor will there be - it is a lot easier and safer for companies to use QNX to run their machines than to try and fit Android or iOS into that role.
    Last edited by asherwiin; 02-27-13 at 06:03 PM.
    02-27-13 05:48 PM
    That's a cool example of an app on a smartphone - but no one ever said that developers can't build standalone apps that run on older O/S environments that can interface with other devices in a client/server or remote control tpe of way. And Samsung will still need to create a separate app for each and every line of equipment it wants to connect, because it is connecting at the app level and not the OS level.
    What does it matter to the end user though? It doesn't, simply because it does what they want it to do. Much like all the house systems that are integrated with iOS, and an iPad, where the home owner can control heating to various parts of the house, stereo sound to various parts of the house, and alarm various parts of the house, all with their iPad. Do you think they care what is happening at the kernel level? You might, but I can assure you the common housewife doesn't.

I will argue that iOS and Andriod will never, ever become embedded operating systems outside of the smartphone/tablet market, simply because they are inherently limited at their core and would have to be reverse engineered to work outside of the world for which they were originally designed. Android won't be the OS of choice that runs devices like a washer and dryer - but it may be an O/S that can support a 3rd party app that can interface with the OS that is running the device - and that's ok. But what can be done in that model is inherently limited to what can potentially be done between two devices running the same O/S.
    They are already in devices such as refrigerators, washer and dryers and televisions...that's the thing. While you might be waiting around for companies to adopt QNX (apart from nuclear reactors), the rest of the world has already found and is adopting other ways to integrate their systems and OS into real world uses. And THAT is all that matters to consumers.
    02-27-13 06:43 PM
    Putting aside technology for a moment, there's a very simple reason why QNX will not be powering the interconnected machine world. Economics and network effects.

Starting with the machines where QNX already has a headstart: automobiles. What automaker would choose a solution which would exclude 90% of their potential customer base? That would be the dumbest business decision ever. Any application they build will have to be compatible with iOS and Android.

Going on to machines where QNX isn't present yet. Why would those manufacturers pay a license of a proprietary system? Same as above, why would they build applications which excludes 90% of smartphone owners? This is not my opinion, this is already happening today. Take a look at what's in the market.

The Nest thermostat. Has apps for iOS and Android only.
    Smarthome: Apps for Home Automation and Control
    Any number of medical devices - same as above
    The Tesla apps, yes the same story - Model S iPhone App available now | Forums | Tesla Motors
    pillswoj likes this.
    02-27-13 07:17 PM
    They also won't have much of a chance if all their 'fans' sit around saying everything's fine when it's not and ignoring genuine issues or problems.
    If you didn't have those opaque glasses of yours on so much you would find a lot of things that I have said that are frustrated/critical/unhappy about with either the Blackberry products or the way they are running things.

I just don't randomly bash without foundation. Like this cr*p about "show me one app that 'proves' that QNX can do something something else can't do".

Hint: EVERY native Blackberry app is proof because they don't exist anywhere else and can't run on your buddy's iPhone or Galaxy. I am not going to run down a laundry-list of things just for you to pull your usual retort of "NA NA NA, NO ITS NOT, I CANT HEAR YOU, NA NA NA NA".
    R Field likes this.
    02-27-13 09:16 PM
128 ... 23456