On my 9860, I set the sound profiles of my work and primary personal email accounts to be loud, some personal email accounts (like the one receiving forum notifications) to be quite

That is what I mean, instead of getting notified by ringtones, we can peek what kind of notifications that came in, personal or work. Maybe that is why they took away the customized ringtones for you to utilize the peek and flow I guess. troublesome much? maybe because we are not use to it yet? just saying...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    jesse_h likes this.
    02-03-13 04:33 AM
    just to answer your second point.. if your in the hub and you reply to any message bbm, mail etc.. turning landscape will orient the screen so you can type in landscape mode
    02-03-13 04:44 AM
    Just some comments and rebuttals to the points you made:

3) Apps have always been an issue with new platforms. Considering BB10 JUST launched, I'd say you should wait a few weeks/months for things to populate further. This platform launch has had the largest initial app count ever, so it's pretty impressive.

WhatsApp is the biggy given it's popularity and great purpose for chatting with non-BB owners

6. The first few days it might run hot due to syncing or you just generally playing around with it more.

Agreed. Because of the design of the backing plate, the RIM logo seems to intensify the feeling (it's made of metal)

7. I'm not familiar with any other phone/OS that lets you have a different icon for every single different email account you have attached to your phone. (Honest question: Does the 9780 allow this?)
    Yep

8. It's a trade off between speed and functionality. Most people don't need that many apps open in the first place. And having too many apps open will probably slow down the phone. They COULD ask, but then you'll have to accept or reject and say you want to use the camera app quickly. You probably want to have that app open as quick as possible.
    You might have an App open that's super important to keep running e.g. Skype, Voice, Map - would be nice to have a confirm

9. My torch 9810 certainly doesn't have a % number on the screen. If you want to find out the exact percentage, you can go into status to check.
    It could actually do without the %, if the icon were about 30% bigger

10. The rotation is slow because it is checking to make sure that you actually do want to rotate. If it were faster, it might keep switching back and forth if you're moving around with your phone or something. It's a design decision, not a design flaw. Perhaps they should enable a setting that lets you adjust the rotation delay though
    somehow my iPad seems to do this a whole load better, without too many inadvertent switches - and ironically because it switches so quickly an erroneous switch is super quick to rectify. Currently this 4 second lag is extremely frustrating because it impacts productivity so much. I thought it might be a hardware fault at first..

11. I've actually found this quite annoying as well, but you will get used to flicking things up anyways so this one I would give it time

12. I've never had this issue. perhaps you've got callouses on your finger tips, or you're pressing too lightly/too hard, or pressing with your finger nail, etc. I've found the screen to be quite responsive.
    seems to mostly be an issue close the edges

16. Swipe down and you will have numbers and symbols
    it's the added microsecond for swiping down - added up over a day it's minutes spent swiping down. Better to have a number bar above the letters, which oddly they do have, but seems randomly to appear or not

18. They wanted to maximize screen and considering you can always peek out from your app to check the status, an extra 20 pixels at the top translates to a 2% increase in screen usage.
    perhaps making it a user setting is the ideal compromise

20.Swipe down to quickly reach the numbers and symbols

22. Quick swipe up. As I have mentioned many times above, most of the decisions seems to be to maximize screen usage for apps, or the active frames, etc. And also to reduce clutter
    that swipe all the way up gesture looks neat but quickly becomes tiresome. It's a 4" swipe from bottom to top, I think

29. Perhaps it would be good to have a setting that disables confirmation for deletion. But it helps to prevent accidental deletes. Especially if you're using IMAP.
    I'm sure I saw the setting - perhaps I imagined it

32. It's bigger than the iPhone, about the same size as the Samsung GS3. If it's not comfortable, then you should either get a bigger touch screen phone, or like you said, go back to a qwerty phone. The typing experience is indeed different and is not for everyone.
    the handset as a whole is a great size. I find the S3 is absurdly big, iP4 a little too small. But still uncomfortable to hold in 2 hands in portrait mode and type - could well be a 'hand size' thing

33. Depending on if you need 3G or 4G, if you're mostly using your phone for calls, text, email, etc. Set your phone to 2G and you'll save a lot of battery life. It's also a full touch screen, it's kind of expected.
    might settle in the coming days as I stop playing so much with it
    02-03-13 04:50 AM
    Sounds like me you need to give a note2 a try. I wanted the bb10 to blow my mind but it looks like another Rom for a android. Before I have haters replay I really don't see anything crazy special that it can do, but at the same time I keep Reading bad reviews. Especially about batter life and the little things that you posted. Maybe a year or 2 with the updates it will be good. Both iOS and android took a good year or two before they really worked well.

beast Galaxy Note 2
    I just find the Note so big! in the UK we have a comedian called Dom Jolly who used to use a Note:
    02-03-13 04:51 AM
    Wow...really hoping these get resolved before it coming here.
    Not so upset about the March release anymore.
    Wow....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Blacklatino and jdhooghe like this.
    02-03-13 04:56 AM
    Please advise where you expect to find all these features ? BB10 is brand new. Your suggestions will be considered. How would you suggest that Blackberry implement all your suggestions without complaints from other users that your suggestions are wrong?
    quite simple - look at their OS's from the last 15 years. Take that evolution, and add to it.

I don't think this is a troll post. I think this person really should send the Z10 back if they're that unsatisfied. Like all previous models, BB is not for everyone.
    but BB is for me! I have loved my BB for more than 5 years, and my 9780 is falling to bits. I didn't upgrade when I could have (Nov) because I wanted to believe.

Almost every single one is addressed in 7.1 on my 9850
    ironically might end up upgrading to this, or a 9900 - depends on keyboard form factor, have always found the 9900 a little (just a smidge) bigger than it needs to be. The real bummer would be missing out the frankly excellent browser that the Z10 now has.

keep in mind that the top priority target market for blackberry with this device is the current installed base. that requires duplicating the efficiency of the older blackberrys as much as is possible.
    excellent point

New software bugs: Isn't that part of the excitement/challenge/frustration of buying the first of anything? I bought the first Ford with MySync and the software was so messed up I wanted to drive it into a wall. After a few months and several updates, it works like a charm and is amazing. I suspect this will be the same with the new BB10 units. Question is who can be patient and tolerate the adventure. Some can, some can't and I find no fault either way.
    it really is a case of dropping stuff that makes the BB experience so amazing in the first place e.g. separate sound notifiers down to the nth degree

Font on the lock screen is way too small and can't be changed.

ah yes, agreed

Anyone else notice that send is in the upper right hand corner for e-mails and lower right hand for texts? An inconsistent UI, with all the efforts (and hype) about TAT seem to have missed some QC checks.

I think this is stop you accidentally sending an email, but agreed it is a little frustrating

The home screen has icons (with badges) for unopened BBM and unopened texts. Have to go to the hub to see unopened e-mails.

no more icons for mail boxes (unless you pro-actively swipe to see the Hub is a real pain. I like just picking my handset up and a quick glance to see what the story is
    JeepBB, wxmancanada and Novaone like this.
    02-03-13 04:56 AM
    Since all email accounts are consolidated to the hub, it doesn't make much sense to have individual icons to different email accounts. What would be the purpose of the hub if you end up having to go to each email account and open each one to check? That's just my thinking. I personally would hate all the clutter with all the different icons, especially when you have many different email accounts.
    it makes perfect sense, because going to the hub involves an interaction (a swipe) whereas with icons you just glance. It's all about productivity, at least, it used to be!

Easy, because if they don't update about every other month at first, they are done. That is why, end of story.
    I feel given how long we were kept waiting some of these things just shouldn't have slipped through, especially if RIM employees were playing with the handset/OS - surely they noticed things like the missing configurable alerts?

So you get to look at everything or one `inbox` at a time, completely your choice. but heres the real cool part, with the hub view where you have the ability to see ALL of the accounts, if you jump into the settings you are able to disable individual inboxes (fb or twitter or a certain email etc) from being in that main `hub` view. this DOES NOT stop you from viewing the `drill down` view for those inboxes, it simply means they wont appear in the main list. So everything is visible ALL of the time, but it doesnt have to be visible in the main hub view.
    it is cool how you can do this - I nixed FB/Twitter updates for example (it really wasn't helping). By chance I ran into a RIM rep in the shop who showed me stuff like this.

It takes you to the text messaging area in the hub. What's the problem with that?
    there's a bug that takes you back to an open email in the Hub, rather than your text messages

A few passwords are black-listed so that you can't use them as your password. This is not a serious issue - you still have infinite other passwords you can choose.
    agreed, but feels Apple-esque "not being allowed" to do something!
    CLICK HERE FOR BLOMBERG MOBILE
    that's the full fat Bloomberg for terminal users, not the neat "track stocks" App they have

Sorry but if you have an email with 198 email you dont care about, you should not set up that one on any mobile device, that is when a computer or any web browser comes handy

I disagree. I think most people would too. I need to see that box, I just don't need to see every message

once again another user by user scenario, i use my device 99% of the time in portrait mode, but still it switches faster, i can only count to two lol, but tell me which device does this instantaneously

the i-thingies are really good at this

then turn it off, got to settings > language and imput > automated assistance > turn off auto-correction is the first toggle there

I want auto-correct! just not in a way that slows down putting a space in!

that is how auto correct works anywhere, is not software fault the first letter is wrong, is user error

first letter wrong means auto-correct options are wrong means have to go back to the start of the word to correct it = slows you down

swipe down from anywhere to get symbols, swipe up to go back to letters
    I know that, but a swipe down is micro seconds slower than having a number bar (which is often there anyway - just not always!) = slows you down

yep that is for more real screen usage on apps
    should be user configurable IMO

and IOS got this feature figured out in what version of the OS again, sure it was not in 1.0 version
    moot point - this really shouldn't be seen as 1.0 - RIM have decades of OS experience

software glitch, already fixed in the coming update, just out of curiosity, two out of how many times?
    probably 200, so 1%

can you do this on IOS or Android? never tried it on either one
    I don't care who else can or cannot do something!

flash for a short while usually, done to save some battery life.
    a little tiny tiny LED???

awful ringtones are fixed with your own ones, the other one never tried it, all my custom ringtones are in mp3 format
    I'm talking bog standard OS5/6/7 alert tones that could very easily have been ported over

battery life is not that good that is true, but this mostly an LTE issue then just hardware, dont believe me? try a full day with just wifi coverage and you will find out
    I'm 3G only as is most of the UK

tap search, the tap the icon on the left side of the search bar
    this doesn't work

go to the contacts apps, select edit on your wife contact and at the very bottom you can set the ringtone, not the volume....yet
    thanks, kinda useful but also not, unless I set silent ringtone for everyone else
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-03-13 05:09 AM
    Now, to me, that is a lot better than having several different email icons cluttering up my screen.
    maybe, maybe not - so let users (and BB users who are used to it) CHOOSE which to do

Why? It's riddled with inaccuracies and plain stupidity. Half the stuff he said wasn't possible was due to him being too lazy to actually check the settings. When corrected, he repeats the same thing a page later, leading me to believe that he either can't read or he's a troll.
    Half? Really? 50%? You're kidding yourself.

I didn't see anywhere in the original post where it said that customer service or tech support was contacted to get help. It is a new operating system. The first time I picked up a BB, it took me for ever to figure things out. Lots of googling and reading and things were eventually resolved. I'm sure this will also be the case with the Z10. Give this thing a bit more that a few hours. I know, everyone will say they have, but I would expect it to take several days of on and off playing. Maybe weeks before you are fluent with the unit. Rome was built in a day. You said you 7 days, how days has it been since you got the Z10?
    but's it not really a NEW device/experience - is it? More of an evolutionary jump. Some common things we have all come to love (and expect) from a BB should be there, but aren't e.g. the alerts/notifications settings.

As is the case with all tech issues, 20% are legit concerns, 30% is just user preference, and the other 50% are users not learning the device well enough. Seems roughly to be the case again here.
    unfortunately your %'s are a little out - but more importantly, each complaint isn't of equal 'weight' i.e. impact. The notifications thing is about 99.9% of the pure anger/rage/frustration/disappointment.

Nothing has been removed... It has yet to be added. Jeeez guy, it launched 4 days ago
    lots of significant things have been removed. It launched 4 days ago after years and years of waiting

Many can not comprehend the concept. Rome wasn't built in a day.
    neither was BB. The adventure started more than a decade ago.

And btw, you "label" your gmail messages by filing them in the respective IMAP folder, or maybe you haven't figured that part out yet
    i know how to do that. I'm not sure it's relevant to the problems with the syncing.

Okay, why do I keep seeing and hearing people complaining about this. 1) Who the h ell has 10 apps open? 2) What other phone offers true multitasking that you are complaining may I ask? Not trying to make this a personal attack towards you by any means, but come on.
    it's not so much the apps # it's what you might have open e.g. Skype, Voice or Maps i.e. wouldn't it be nice to have a little pop-up "I'm going to close App XYZ - okay?"

Have you ever heard of a software update? Geez, just give it some time man. I'm pretty sure most of these you asked for will be pretty damn fixed in future OS upgrades. The device has just been launched don't expect everything to be perfect since this is a first step and improvement to a new OS. Stop whining like a little kid who wants a perfect RC car that can fly on it at the same time.
    this isn't a new experience. The stuff that makes BB so great has been learned over more than a decade. It feels like some stuff has been dropped without really thinking about it. And btw, we have waited AGES for this.

Cause (8) >>>>> effect (6, 33)
    LOL - could well be!

The OP clearly hasn't taken the time to learn the device, playing around with the settings. Half the issues are non-existent. Several posts in this thread have already discussed which issues are non-existent.
    Half? REALLY? Quite.

just wondering, why do we need to differentiate the ringtones between email, bbm etc.? when we are able to peek it and choose to entertain it on the spot or do it later. Am i missing something here?
    it means when the device is on the other side of the room, or in my pocket, I can tell if I need to look at it just from the sound. It's extremely powerful and productivity enhancing.

So how do you type in landscape on a q10?
    Hah

I'm 150% positive they're paying close attention to what people want.
    good - there's a site out there that lists some of the crazier stuff

I think you're missing something here.

We're not always poking around at our phones, ready to peek into the hub at a moment's notice. Some of us, oddly enough, leave the phone in our holster, on the desk, in a pocket, in a briefcase or on the coffee table.

To be able to "hear" which account an email has come in on based on the notification sound can mean the difference between stopping what you're doing so you can reply to important work messages or ignoring it so you can keep making out with your lady friend on the sofa.

I'm with the OP with these frustrations. When I first got the PlayBook, I was frustrated that its functionality was very limited compared to my OS6 phone. Simple things like being able to email a picture from within the picture app or edit a music playlist.

I'm getting the feeling that the nitty-gritty features of OS5,6,7 phones that elevated them from average communication tools to fantastic ones have been left out in favor of making OS10 more appealing to users who would rather gawk at Angry Birds than fine tune their productivity workflow.

I want to like BB10, I really do. I love my Torch 9800 because it is first and foremost a tool, not a toy. But I fear that switching to BB10 will leave me frustrated much like the PlayBook did, and still does, make me feel.

I'll never understand how and why RIM stopped innovating. It was under Mike and Jim's lead that OS5, 6 and 7 grew to communications powerhouses. But it was also under their lead that the PlayBook was launched lacking such basic features and this de-contenting seems to have spilled over to the BB10 development.

We realize that BB10 is a new OS and features weren't removed but rather just haven't yet been included. But at the same time you can't simply ignore what made the previous OS's such powerful communication platforms to begin with in an effort to appeal to iOS and Android users.
    BINGO GIVE THIS MAN A PRIZE

Well it sounds like 80% of these are nitpicking and elitist thoughts. Some of it sounds annoying but its not going to cause the mayans to destroy the earth. Granted its new but break it in. What aboutnupdates?
    are you ****ing kidding me?

i noticed in one of the bb video adverts he switched from portrait to landscape and he did it very slowly, i had a suspicion he did it to hide how slow it was. i hope this isn't the case. the red light should always blink with the receiving of anything new and should stay flashing for a decent period of time like every other blackberry. i've heard about this LED problem a few times, seems like such a simple thing, why would it not work the same way.
    I shared your suspicion and for me it was confirmed. The LED should blink FOREVER - it's a fricking LED, that's it's purpose!

Can't be bothered to waste my time reading all the comments so will just say. As a Z10 owner, a lot of your gripes are just you haven't taken the time to setup the device options, rest are you trying to find fault rather than accepting this a new and exciting start.
    if you can't be bothered then THAT SAYS IT ALL. I can be bothered. I LOVE MY BB 9780 and waited a long time for this device. I am taking AFFIRMATIVE action to get RIM to fix some, frankly, INSANE design choices that will really **** their loyal (and rightly so) followers off. But if you can't be bothered, enjoy.
    02-03-13 05:20 AM
    29. deleting an email takes 2 clicks rather than 1

If there was one click he'd say it needs two so he doesn't delete emails accidentally.

Expect more of these threads.
    02-03-13 05:32 AM
    Thanks to the OP for posting this, we need some objectivity on this forum.

I personally feel that RIM wasted their time with the months of beta testing. Once they got the major issues out of the way they should have released the phone to REAL users so every little problem would have been uncovered in a matter of days. Beta testers are just going to play with the phone and tell everyone how awesome it is.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    02-03-13 05:47 AM
    Thanks to the OP for posting this, we need some objectivity on this forum.

I personally feel that RIM wasted their time with the months of beta testing. Once they got the major issues out of the way they should have released the phone to REAL users so every little problem would have been uncovered in a matter of days. Beta testers are just going to play with the phone and tell everyone how awesome it is.
    Real people like the OP who thinks efficiency and design intent is about making a device what his personal opinion of 'best' is? beta testers should test a device or application to its intended purpose not 'what they want'.

afaik so far there are two 'bugs' text messages icon going to hub not always in an out of texts and the one I found which I posted on. (search if you want to find it). rest is user opinion because somethings different....doesnt make it wrong or poor beta testing.
    02-03-13 06:24 AM
    OP: In Regards to #17: are you stating that a deleted message on your bb10 will still show up on my work computer? I just want to make sure that I am understanding that correctly.
    02-03-13 06:42 AM
    don't dare to assume anything about me please. While some users might indeed want that functionality, it should be user controlled. An option. And guess what - it turns out it is!

Thanks for your really helpful addition to this thread though.
    I may have been a little harsh I do apologise. Its annoying to see some pedantic parts in your post which could be perceived as trolling.

With respect.
    02-03-13 06:45 AM

Well, by the time it's in the U.S., most - if not all should be fixed......especially with the Q10 possibly being released in April(ish) here. We may not all agree with your list, but, it's "your" opinion based on "your" experience with the device. OP, thanks for taking the time to post.
    02-03-13 07:02 AM
    Hi just bought my Z10 sim free on Friday, my first BlackBerry phone, so far its brilliant works without fault no overheating and battery
    life is good after 2nd charge cycle, as playbook owner from day one updates improved it and now BB10 update to come,
    I am in for the long haul any bugs/ faults will be sorted, I use phones with every O.S. And each has its own plus/minus points,
    I still use 2010 Nokia for Emails, every phone will find a happy owner, The Z10 is a great phone hope it does well.
    Charles Martin1 likes this.
    02-03-13 07:29 AM
    Android and iOS Gmail Apps have Swipe to Delete (or Archive, your choice) and an Undo Button appears after you swipe it. There is no need for a confirmation, anyways, as anything you delete should go to Trash where the email will be there at least 7 days after being deleted before it's automatically deleted by the system (some services keep it for up to 30 days).

Extra tap is useless, to be honest, so it does matter especially if you come from another OS/App where you could power through your emails by just swiping them away.
    02-03-13 07:38 AM
    This forum sounds like the WP7 forums after Microsoft deprecated Windows Mobile, though. "blablabla was in WinMo and it's not in WinPhone. I'm heartbroken, etc."

ssbtech's posts are very reminiscent of that.
    02-03-13 07:41 AM
    new software and the learning curve, sometimes it can get ugly(my own experience with new programs)
    02-03-13 07:56 AM
    This forum sounds like the WP7 forums after Microsoft deprecated Windows Mobile, though. "blablabla was in WinMo and it's not in WinPhone. I'm heartbroken, etc.
    That's possibly fair comment - it's inevitable that not everything will make it through any product transition. Some features will be lost in the name of an overall better user experience and product... that's progress for ya!

However, much is made of RIM's existing 80M subscriber base and how they're anticipated to be the core market for BB10. To then release a phone that takes away functionality that they've come to expect after seeing it in every BB phone since the year dot... (and it's hard to see some of the things on OP's list as "improvements")... is that smart business practice?
    ssbtech likes this.
    02-03-13 07:58 AM
    One thing I like about reading the list of problems, is trying to figure out what these problems imply.

If these are the biggest issues regarding the Z10, then I think that I am *more* likely to buy one.

On the other had, if the phone simply didn't work when you held it to your ear.... well that would be different.
    Tim Smith2 likes this.
    02-03-13 08:06 AM
    Real people like the OP who thinks efficiency and design intent is about making a device what his personal opinion of 'best' is? beta testers should test a device or application to its intended purpose not 'what they want'.

afaik so far there are two 'bugs' text messages icon going to hub not always in an out of texts and the one I found which I posted on. (search if you want to find it). rest is user opinion because somethings different....doesnt make it wrong or poor beta testing.
    Not so.
    When developing a system you have user acceptance testing, where user requirements are tested against the system. That is, give a sandboxed instance of the system and let *users* give it a go. They test the system's real world functionalities, take comments, incorporate what is missing, fix what is wrong, return to user acceptance testing, and make sure that in fixing one thing you did not break another. These issues should have been found during user acceptance testing. Dev units.

Now, I know some of the people who used the dev units, and there is now way in h e double sticks that they would have missed reporting such losses in functionalities. Which leads me to believe that the test reports were either ignored (not bloody likely since BB is fighting for its life in certain markets) OR they will be incorporated through subsequent updates.

My concern comes in that BB is notoriously slow in sending out updates. The PB OS 2 delay and the bricking issues with OS7 come to mind. I can understand bugs in development and missed functionalities when creating a brand new OS from the ground up. I understand all that. But didn't Thor state that the reason for the delay from October 2012 to Feb/March 2013 was to get it right?

The UK and Canada are the beta testers for BB10, it seems. I hope that by the time March rolls around BB will get it right, having sent updates to fix these issues. Not holding my breath.
    02-03-13 08:14 AM
    Realistically, a bunch of those complaints come down to your preference for typing in landscape over portrait, which is fair enough but does seem like you are trying to pad the total and at the same time it minimises valid points if people can pick out ones that are merely personal preference like that or your definition of must-have apps which vary widely from person to person.

As far as some of your more hardware-related issues, I have to say that I have had no problems at all with the touchscreen registering presses nor with the rotation other than some minor stuff when lying on the couch where the angle you are holding the device makes it easy for any to get confused and as far as the device heating up, I have only seen that when using it a lot for games or stuff like that which has a similar impact on old phones other than that it is nice and cool to the touch.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    02-03-13 08:19 AM
    what if you just want to look at work emails and not the 3 other personal emails. click 1 icon and view JUST that account. It was in previous BBOS so I can easily see why some people want this.
    Is that not what Blackberry Balance is for? To keep work and personal separate? I don't have a Z10 but shouldn't you be able to set up with a work side and a personal side?
    02-03-13 08:26 AM
    @thorstenpleasefixit: thank you for being honest about how you really feel about your device instead of being a blind fanboy(which by the way people, even Kevin, the number one fanboy hasn't done that. His review was honest about the OS shortcomings).

With that said, because you are considering the Bold 9900(which is a GREAT phone I love mine to pieces minus the camera), how about I send you my beloved 9900 and you send me your Z10. I know there's tons of things I will miss from my 9900 but there NEEDS to be BB10 devices in the US right now being shown off. So anyway, that's my offer as long as you can send yours unlocked(mine is already unlocked) and both of our devices will work on our respective carriers with full functionality and LTE
    02-03-13 08:30 AM
    After reading that a few of these issues can be rectified (e.g. changing the "confirm delete" setting allows you to delete emails without two taps), OP are you still returning the phone?

Also - with regard to "removing" functionality that was in BBOS7, my understanding is that they since they started from scratch they have had to add things in. I imagine there was a point in development where the tradeoff was to have A) a more full-featured phone that might be buggy and crashy cause it hasn't been thoroughly tested OR B) thoroughly test and release something that works but with fewer features and add those features later. For the record, I'm not happy about missing features either, but BlackBerry would have been crucified if the phone was laggy or really buggy whether it had multiple volume select for notifications or not.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    02-03-13 08:30 AM
470 ... 7891011 ...