Hi everyone!

Having seen a lot of YouTube videos about the challenge to use a BB10 device for one week/month (which I think is quite ridiculous as this is not really a challenge), I decided to do the same for the iPhone as I never owned one in the past.

I come from android and for more than 3 years now, I've been using a BB 10 phone (Z10 then Z30), which I love. Few weeks ago, I was given an iPhone 5c with a broken screen that was declared unrepairable by apple stores. I decided to buy a replacement screen and to repair it by myself and it works... so I decided to give it a try for few weeks.

It's quite a new environment for me and I've decided to list down the pros and cons of this platform compared to BB10.

After one week here's what I like with the iPhone:
    - the OS is very fluid and responsive.
    - the contacts are really well sync and there is absolutely no duplicate or mistakes in the merging of information.
    - FaceTime is great! Yeah, I know that there is Skype or Hangouts on other platforms but FaceTime is so well natively integrated that it's a real pleasure.
    - the apps: you find a very responsive app for almost everything. Ok, I know that there always is a workaround for most of the cases on BB10 but this is pleasant not to have some Popups saying that GPS are missing or something like that.

What I don't like:
    - not enough permissions management in the apps.
    - I'm really missing the hub a lot!
    - the keyboard is so tiny and not efficient compared to BB10 one.
    - some action bother me like the fact that you cannot access the YouTube mobile website. It opens the app automatically.
    - no real background possibilities. For example, listening for your YouTube playlist while doing something else is not possible.
    - battery life is not as good as the Z30 one.
    - transferring music, pictures, managing file is either impossible, either not very simple.
    - no possibility of storage extension (if you exclude iCloud).

At the end of the day, you can notice that there is more cons that pros but I understand why most of the people prefer the iPhone (which is not my case). It is more efficient in some daily/personal tasks and those people probably never tried the HUB or the keyboard.

Well, just wanted to share this experience even if I'm not really considering staying with the iPhone. But I really would enjoy having some of the iOS features on BB10.
    hasa77 and vanrickman like this.
    06-09-15 01:10 PM
    I can't imagine myself having a phone that restricts me from using MY files the way I like....
    File manager alone is a big plus for me among others.

Posted via Z30
    06-09-15 01:38 PM
    I have a Z10 and a totally unrestricted iphone6 for work and I so prefer the Z10,

I really don't want to itemise what I like and don't like about either phones but I find the Z10 more intuitive for me.

I really don't see what the hype for the iPhone is all about.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 01:40 PM
    Hi everyone!

Having seen a lot of YouTube videos about the challenge to use a BB10 device for one week/month (which I think is quite ridiculous as this is not really a challenge), I decided to do the same for the iPhone as I never owned one in the past.

I come from android and for more than 3 years now, I've been using a BB 10 phone (Z10 then Z30), which I love. Few weeks ago, I was given an iPhone 5c with a broken screen that was declared unrepairable by apple stores. I decided to buy a replacement screen and to repair it by myself and it works... so I decided to give it a try for few weeks.

It's quite a new environment for me and I've decided to list down the pros and cons of this platform compared to BB10.

After one week here's what I like with the iPhone:
    - the OS is very fluid and responsive.
    - the contacts are really well sync and there is absolutely no duplicate or mistakes in the merging of information.
    - FaceTime is great! Yeah, I know that there is Skype or Hangouts on other platforms but FaceTime is so well natively integrated that it's a real pleasure.
    - the apps: you find a very responsive app for almost everything. Ok, I know that there always is a workaround for most of the cases on BB10 but this is pleasant not to have some Popups saying that GPS are missing or something like that.

What I don't like:
    - not enough permissions management in the apps.
    - I'm really missing the hub a lot!
    - the keyboard is so tiny and not efficient compared to BB10 one.
    - some action bother me like the fact that you cannot access the YouTube mobile website. It opens the app automatically.
    - no real background possibilities. For example, listening for your YouTube playlist while doing something else is not possible.
    - battery life is not as good as the Z30 one.
    - transferring music, pictures, managing file is either impossible, either not very simple.
    - no possibility of storage extension (if you exclude iCloud).

At the end of the day, you can notice that there is more cons that pros but I understand why most of the people prefer the iPhone (which is not my case). It is more efficient in some daily/personal tasks and those people probably never tried the HUB or the keyboard.

Well, just wanted to share this experience even if I'm not really considering staying with the iPhone. But I really would enjoy having some of the iOS features on BB10.
    ...and for more than 3 years now, I've been using a BB 10 phone (Z10 then Z30)

I hate to nitpick, but today is June 9th, 2015. BB10 launched January 30th, 2013...

As for your observations using iPhone, you can use the YouTube mobile site in the browser if you really want/need to. It can't automatically open the YouTube app if the app isn't there. Delete the YouTube app... and that will also cure the other point, about YouTube not playing in the background. There are also 3rd party YouTube clients that allow background play.

Also, what app permissions were you looking for that you couldn't find?
    06-09-15 02:12 PM
    I thought the iPhone challenge was to use it underwater? You know, from that software update that made them waterproof? Hehe

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 03:44 PM
    @jmr1015: you're right, my bad. I mixed up figures. Wanted to say "almost 3 years" (or "more than 2 years")... But still. All I wanted to say is that I really enjoy the BB10 experience and will probably not leave it for now. Still waiting for a new high end all touch device though.

I actually, when posting this thread, was expecting some kind of confusing comments but I really wanted to try the iPhone by myself before saying that BB10 is better. You can't compare 2 things without having trying both. And when I say trying, I mean using it as your daily driver for a while.

I just can't say that the iPhone is bad. It is, in fact, a great device and a great OS. But IMHO, BB is, at least, as good and doesn't deserve the place it has on the market nowadays.
    I'm quite sure it all comes from marketing issues, which is a pity...

Just for fun, a last screenshot revealing how I miss BB!
    The iPhone challenge-imageuploadedbycb-forums1433883885.089958.jpg
    06-09-15 04:04 PM
    I would go crazy without a file system.

Going from bb10 to Android isn't that much of a shock, but I could never warm up to any IOS device.

You can tether a bb10 phone to a linux PC with no apps. Not so for the iphone.

The iphone is more about the apple ecosystem. Since I own nothing from Apple, I have no e p system to speak of.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 08:59 PM