So, with all the news about how Apple is making it impossible for the company to turn over data from iOS to police, how does that compare to BB10? I know that BlackBerry has been historically really secure �*just want to know how it compares. Genuine question, not trolling.

See the story here:
    Apple will no longer unlock most iPhones, iPads for police, even with search warrants - The Washington Post
    09-18-14 01:57 PM
    its hard to say. Not much is known about the improvements in iOS 8 for security. I would say it would be nice to see if its less hackable and how fast it gets jailbroken
    09-18-14 02:09 PM
    Possible smoke and mirrors. Not that I trust BlackBerry any more than I do Apple, but I will continue to distrust Apple until the end. Though I do wish BlackBerry take a similar stance for the sake of PR.
    09-18-14 02:12 PM
    The article you quoted doesn't speak of "security". IOS8 will be jailbroken and rooted, but the police will not be able to use the content of the phone as proof, that's all.
    09-18-14 02:13 PM
    So, with all the news about how Apple is making it impossible for the company to turn over data from iOS to police, how does that compare to BB10? I know that BlackBerry has been historically really secure –*just want to know how it compares. Genuine question, not trolling.

See the story here:
    Apple will no longer unlock most iPhones, iPads for police, even with search warrants - The Washington Post
    Why would Apple be making it hard for companies to turn over the data from iOS to the police? If you have a company phone and you are suspected of leaking data to the competition your company has every right to turn over the data to the police, why would Apple want to stop that? I think from a security stand point I wouldn't want my employee's possessing companies devices that I can't give the police to the data from because the manufacture has chosen to not allow it.

Your companies smartphone devices and all the data on it plus all your emails in your Outlook all belong to the company and not you. So if you are fired and they go through your emails or the info on your company phone they which they are legally permitted to and find anything they should be able to turn it over the police.
    09-18-14 02:20 PM
    If you have a company phone and you are suspected of leaking data to the competition your company has every right to turn over the data to the police, why would Apple want to stop that?
    They don't. This is what the article said: "Apple has reworked its latest encryption in a way that prevents the company or anyone but the device's owner from gaining access to the vast troves of user data typically stored on smartphones or tablet computers."

The "company" here refers to Apple -- not the corporate owner of an employee-operated phone.

Thumb-flicked from my Z30 via CB10
    09-18-14 03:04 PM
    It's interesting to me that 4 years ago, the Indian government was threatening to forbid BIS email and BBM unless RIM provided encryption keys. Apple neatly side-steps this issue, but I wonder how long before the US government slaps them with an injunction.

From back in the day: "India fears that RIM's encryption of messages will allow miltants to plan and arrange terrorist campaigns like the attacks on Mumbai over two years ago. By blocking BlackBerry Enterprise email and Messenger services, India hopes RIM will relent and hand over access to messaging so they can monitor communications through its networks."

09-18-14 03:14 PM
    It's interesting to me that 4 years ago, the Indian government was threatening to forbid BIS email and BBM unless RIM provided encryption keys. Apple neatly side-steps this issue, but I wonder how long before the US government slaps them with an injunction.

From back in the day: "India fears that RIM's encryption of messages will allow miltants to plan and arrange terrorist campaigns like the attacks on Mumbai over two years ago. By blocking BlackBerry Enterprise email and Messenger services, India hopes RIM will relent and hand over access to messaging so they can monitor communications through its networks."

There is a difference between secure messaging and the phone itself being secure. BBM without BES and iMessage are not secure. However the lock screen on a BlackBerry is secure. Now Apple claims to be just as secure, a claim likely to be broken if past performance (or lack thereof) is an indicator.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 03:56 PM
    So they won't unlock the phone, but they will still unlock the cloud storage. If you want full security you have to disable the cloud backup and sync features. And iMessage. How many iPhone users will do that. If they can arrange the encryption so only the owner can unlock the phone, they can make it so only the user can decrypt the cloud. But, they didn't.

Posted via CB10
    blicked likes this.
    09-18-14 04:00 PM
    With NSA back doors built in to the OS, there is no need for the corporation to unlock the devices for the authorities. That information is available without the corporations invomvement.

American tech comes from the factory compromised. In those cases in which it didn't the NSA has actually physically intercepted shipments to install surveillance software.

If you want security you simply cannot buy and use it.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 05:55 PM
    I am a little interested in theVPN and MAC changing features... The article on ARS reads:

The September 2014 document also notes that iOS 8 includes an "Always-on VPN" feature, which "eliminates the need for users to turn on VPN to enable protection when connecting to Wi-Fi networks."

It also mentions that when an iOS 8 device is not associated with a Wi-Fi network, and the processor is asleep, the device uses a randomized Media Access Control address.

"Because a device’s MAC address now changes when it’s not connected to a network, it can’t be used to persistently track a device by passive observers of Wi-Fi traffic," the document also states.

Source: Apple expands data encryption under iOS 8, making handover to cops moot | Ars Technica

Is there any way an BB 10 user can reproduce theese 2 features? or we have to wait for an official update?
    09-18-14 06:09 PM
    Iphone. Please. Security and Blackberry go hand and hand. Not even close. The NSA and apple are in bed with each other in my opinion and I would only trust BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 07:05 PM
    I am a little interested in theVPN and MAC changing features... The article on ARS reads:

The September 2014 document also notes that iOS 8 includes an "Always-on VPN" feature, which "eliminates the need for users to turn on VPN to enable protection when connecting to Wi-Fi networks."

It also mentions that when an iOS 8 device is not associated with a Wi-Fi network, and the processor is asleep, the device uses a randomized Media Access Control address.

"Because a device�s MAC address now changes when it�s not connected to a network, it can�t be used to persistently track a device by passive observers of Wi-Fi traffic," the document also states.

Source: Apple expands data encryption under iOS 8, making handover to cops moot | Ars Technica

Is there any way an BB 10 user can reproduce theese 2 features? or we have to wait for an official update?
    BlackBerry 10 already supports automatically engaging VPN when connected to Wi-Fi. Has from the start. But now that most sites are going ubiquitous SSL this is not as important as it once was.

The real reason Apple is going to randomize the MAC address is not so much to protect the privacy of their users as it is to make life difficult for competitors of iBeacon. They don't want to prevent the tracking of their users. They just want to get the money for doing the tracking.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 08:57 PM

"Because a device�s MAC address now changes when it�s not connected to a network, it can�t be used to persistently track a device by passive observers of Wi-Fi traffic," the document also states.

Just turn your wifi off until you need it.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 02:57 AM
    So they won't unlock the phone, but they will still unlock the cloud storage. If you want full security you have to disable the cloud backup and sync features. And iMessage. How many iPhone users will do that. If they can arrange the encryption so only the owner can unlock the phone, they can make it so only the user can decrypt the cloud. But, they didn't.

Posted via CB10
    On of the problems of the iphone is local storage is kind of clumsy given the lack of SDHC. So they tend to use cloud services. Most iphone users I know don't use icloud. They use dropbox.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 03:00 AM