Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon S4 Blazes Through NenaMark2 Benchmarks; Could Mean Very Powerful BlackBerry 10 Phones

Wonder why this tidbit of info may be important? While at CES 2012, Qualcomm announced their Snapdragon S4 chipset, which showcased RIM�s logo on the backdrop for featured partner with the new MSM8960 chipset. Qualcomm wouldn�t tell us if RIM would be using the new chipset for tablets, smartphones, or both.

Either way, we can assume RIM will be using the Qualcomm MSM8960 in an upcoming BlackBerry device. Our guess, would be the highly awaited BlackBerry 10 phones. What kind of performance will this chipset offer? We get an early look thanks to some benchmarks of an MSM8960-powered device showing up on NenaMark.

Running NenaMark2, this MSM8960-based model gives a very impressive 54.90, blowing away nearly all of the competition.The benchmarks appear to come from a tablet running at a 1024�600 resolution. Most handsets it scores comparably to sport WVGA, meaning the MSM8960 outperformed them even when pushing more pixels.

BlackBerry 10 phones have been delayed to the end of 2012 as RIM allegedly waits for the new chipset from Qualcomm. We�ve already discussed how this might not really be a bad thing. The new benchmarks are only adding more icing to the cake. The MSM8960 contains a multi-mode modem, allowing it to support LTE data networks along with the usual EV-DO and HSPA 3G standards; opening up BlackBerry 10 phones to a whole array of markets.

Link to article: Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon S4 Blazes Through NenaMark2 Benchmarks; Could Mean Very Powerful BlackBerry 10 Phones
    kbz1960, i7guy, iJazroon and 3 others like this.
    02-01-12 10:26 AM
    This does indeed bode well for the BB10 phones and BlackBerry.
    02-01-12 10:38 AM
    as long as it performs as well as the playbook i will be more than happy
    02-01-12 10:43 AM
    Imagine where RIM would be if Dumb and Dumber had taken the warnings regarding hardware needs seriously a few years ago.

I suggest if rim ran the race then instead of just getting out of the gate now then android-run phones would not be a serious contender today.
    02-01-12 10:43 AM
    Its running on an Android tablet running OS 4.0.3 apparently. (at 1024x600).

http://androidandme.com/2012/01/news...chmark-scores/

Can anyone download and run this benchmark using the Playbook's Android player
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 02-01-12 at 11:41 AM.
    02-01-12 11:34 AM
    BlackBerry 10 devices need hardware that has:

good processing power and graphics
    low battery consumption
    diverse connectivity and bands (3G/4G, WLAN, GPS, FM, Bluetooth, NFC)
    great speakers and mic
    dual camera (one being competitive with point and shoot cameras with flash and AF)
    iconic LED notification system
    proximity sensor

I think they are taking some good steps with this new chip...after the hardware is settled, it's all about the software.
    02-01-12 11:38 AM
    Disregard the benchmark test. This test only gauges the GPU. Not the CPU.

Which is the Adreno 225. I saw on another article, they calculated it. And even though it edged out the Galaxy Note (after accounted for the benchmark test with its higher resolution) by only 1 or something.

It still means the 225 is pretty good. I'm hoping the Adreno 300 is in the new BB phones. It's supposed to be much better. But I doubt it'll be ready in time unless RIM wants to delay their phone again.
    02-01-12 01:33 PM
    The problem is that this will be out this month when the HTC Ville is released. Therefore RIM is late again, who know what phones will be using in October!!
    02-01-12 01:37 PM
    Doesn't really matter what the hardware is considering their main problems are actually meeting timely release dates, quality of the execution and software/ecosystem support...
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-01-12 01:42 PM
    Doesn't really matter what the hardware is considering their main problems are actually meeting timely release dates, quality of the execution and software/ecosystem support...
    stop whining and go to the toyphone if rim doesn't serve you.
    02-01-12 04:28 PM
    The problem is that this will be out this month when the HTC Ville is released. Therefore RIM is late again, who know what phones will be using in October!!
    So because they weren't first, they are late? That kind of a sad way to look at things.
    Rello likes this.
    02-01-12 04:33 PM
    You're judging a phone purely by the CPU it has?? If the device works as expected then who cares what's in it.
    02-01-12 04:43 PM
    stop whining and go to the toyphone if rim doesn't serve you.
    Sorry you'll have to be a little more specific, as I have more than one phone and one of them is a 9930.

Your lashing out cries of desperation.
    02-01-12 07:24 PM
    So because they weren't first, they are late? That kind of a sad way to look at things.
    RIM says they have to wait on this Snapdragon S4 so their new phones won't come out till October, but HTC is using that same Snapdragon S4 in their HTC Ville which will be released this month. To me that means there is something else wrong and they are late again.
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-01-12 07:40 PM
    I personally feel there's a lot to be excited about.

First of all, I doubt RIM would make a device that thin and powerful with bad battery life, especially with the Droid RAZR MAXX on the market.

I'm sure this device is going to be NFC-enabled because not including it would be more like a downgrade from the BB7 devices.

The rumor is that the dual-core TI OMAP 5 processors RIM is testing are way ahead of what anything on the market. Apparently, they can out-perform the quad-core A6 (and this is coming from TI itself, not RIM). I don't know much about the Snapdragon MSM8960, but I've heard the Snapdragon S4s are going to be powerful. If Tablet OS can run smoothly on an OMAP 4430 clocked at 1 GHz, the new OMAP 5 should be more than enough to support BlackBerry 10.

Overall, I'm very excited for the London. RIM is excited as well. I think they knew that BlackBerry 7 was just enough to keep them in the mix, but the anticipation surrounding it did not have that "game-breaking" feeling that surrounds BB10. Even the media is projecting this as being a revolution for RIM (I said in an earlier post that the front page of Crackberry with the London made my local news).

Whether not all of us at Crackberry may not be excited about this phone as we will be when a Bold or Torch-esque phone is announced, the London is what the rest of the market wants. People who want a powerful device with an intuitive-UI and navigation controls, and the capability to run Android will definitely give this phone another look.

This is kind of off-topic, but does anyone think RIM will display the London in glass (or even usable models) at Mobile World Congress? And has RIM made any statements since yesterday's leak about the London?
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 02-01-12 at 07:45 PM.
    BlendIcier likes this.
    02-01-12 07:42 PM
    RIM says they have to wait on this Snapdragon S4 so their new phones won't come out till October, but HTC is using that same Snapdragon S4 in their HTC Ville which will be released this month. To me that means there is something else wrong and they are late again.
    First of all, Android OEM's would try to push out the latest and greatest as fast as they can.

Second, the HTC Ville was LEAKED like what. A day ago? So what I'm saying is you don't know when the HTC Ville is going to be release. And keeping that in mind, you're jumping to conclusions way too quick.
    02-01-12 09:23 PM
    Second, the HTC Ville was LEAKED like what. A day ago? So what I'm saying is you don't know when the HTC Ville is going to be release. And keeping that in mind, you're jumping to conclusions way too quick.

Perhaps, but I'm certain it will be released before October, most persons are looking for it to be released at MWC this month.
    02-01-12 09:54 PM
    Perhaps, but I'm certain it will be released before October, most persons are looking for it to be released at MWC this month.
    Yeah, and if it does get released at MWC. That will be the first phone to have the S4. It takes time to get everything in place. That phone was probably on the fast track. Just to be first out the gate to have the S4 chip.
    02-01-12 11:27 PM
    Hard to say. It might just be "announced" at MWC, which means it may not be out for a few more months.

Being on the hardware bleeding edge has its risks. Just ask anyone with Intel's original Sandy Bridge chipset. If HTC has one model fail, it's no big deal. If RIM has a model fail, it's a huge hole in its lineup.
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-01-12 11:43 PM
    I personally feel there's a lot to be excited about.

First of all, I doubt RIM would make a device that thin and powerful with bad battery life, especially with the Droid RAZR MAXX on the market.

I'm sure this device is going to be NFC-enabled because not including it would be more like a downgrade from the BB7 devices.

The rumor is that the dual-core TI OMAP 5 processors RIM is testing are way ahead of what anything on the market. Apparently, they can out-perform the quad-core A6 (and this is coming from TI itself, not RIM). I don't know much about the Snapdragon MSM8960, but I've heard the Snapdragon S4s are going to be powerful. If Tablet OS can run smoothly on an OMAP 4430 clocked at 1 GHz, the new OMAP 5 should be more than enough to support BlackBerry 10.

Overall, I'm very excited for the London. RIM is excited as well. I think they knew that BlackBerry 7 was just enough to keep them in the mix, but the anticipation surrounding it did not have that "game-breaking" feeling that surrounds BB10. Even the media is projecting this as being a revolution for RIM (I said in an earlier post that the front page of Crackberry with the London made my local news).

Whether not all of us at Crackberry may not be excited about this phone as we will be when a Bold or Torch-esque phone is announced, the London is what the rest of the market wants. People who want a powerful device with an intuitive-UI and navigation controls, and the capability to run Android will definitely give this phone another look.

This is kind of off-topic, but does anyone think RIM will display the London in glass (or even usable models) at Mobile World Congress? And has RIM made any statements since yesterday's leak about the London?
    Last I heard they were just going to show off the OS at MWC.
    02-02-12 12:28 AM
    Dual core right?
    02-02-12 03:01 AM
  22. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Can't wait!!! RIM is going to kick a**!!!
    02-02-12 03:54 AM
    BlackBerry 10 phones have been delayed to the end of 2012 as RIM allegedly waits for the new chipset from Qualcomm. We�ve already discussed how this might not really be a bad thing. The new benchmarks are only adding more icing to the cake. The MSM8960 contains a multi-mode modem, allowing it to support LTE data networks along with the usual EV-DO and HSPA 3G standards; opening up BlackBerry 10 phones to a whole array of markets.
    While I know that LTE is the future and most everyone is putting out LTE phones... how many people today have access to LTE?? How many will have access even in the next year?

Think RIM would have done better releasing an non LTE BB10 Phone today... and then releasing an LTE phone once they had the hardware they wanted.
    02-02-12 08:26 AM
    While I know that LTE is the future and most everyone is putting out LTE phones... how many people today have access to LTE?? How many will have access even in the next year?

Think RIM would have done better releasing an non LTE BB10 Phone today... and then releasing an LTE phone once they had the hardware they wanted.
    Agreed. Get a 4G phone to market, since most markets that's all they're capable of, and THEN release an LTE version when it's available. If you're someone who's interested in waiting on an LTE version, then you'd be waiting the same amount of time anyways, but if you're like most users (Europe and Canada), then 4G is most likely all you can use anyways.

But I still believe they had/have software issues to work out, and didn't want to admit that.
    02-02-12 08:38 AM
    I think RIM is trying to limit the number of devices (finally) and hardware specs they have to make. This one qualcomm chip will go a LONG way towards that.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-02-12 08:40 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD