The intrepid hackers of the CB forums have tried everything they could to install BlackBerry 10 on the PlayBook hardware with no success. I am curious, has anyone tried to hack BB10 onto an Android or Windows tablet's hardware that has a similar chipset as the BlackBerry 10 devices?

Not sure if this is possible but figured I'd ask before looking into this too seriously...

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 07:08 PM
    due to security mostly, this wont happen
    06-16-14 07:11 PM
    I think it would be possible to force install the OS, but it won't boot because the boot loader will be able to tell the difference in hardware
    06-16-14 07:50 PM
    It's more than just the cpu and gpu combination. There is also the supporting chipset which are manufacturer specific for closed OS systems. In this case, the BlackBerry OS will be looking for the BlackBerry chipsets. If they ain't there, it ain't loadin'.

You can't get around that.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 09:41 AM
    What about the reverse ? Installing android on a BB10 hardware ?
    06-17-14 10:57 AM
    Same thing the other way. The chipset would only expect the QNX based BlackBerry software - with signed files from BlackBerry.

That's also what prevents rooting.

Remember that the Android portion is only a runtime inside the main BB OS. It's not what the phone boots from.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 11:58 AM
    if this is true, how do you explain the Priv? Having switched back to BlackBerry almost immediately as the Z10 was available from Android, I also have a Xoom, and I would like to put BB10 on this device, especially since I have yet to see BlackBerry's 2015 tablet around anywhere. Anything is possible if you are committed.
    01-16-16 03:07 PM
    if this is true, how do you explain the Priv? Having switched back to BlackBerry almost immediately as the Z10 was available from Android, I also have a Xoom, and I would like to put BB10 on this device, especially since I have yet to see BlackBerry's 2015 tablet around anywhere. Anything is possible if you are committed.
    Simple. BlackBerry built the Priv to load their version of Android. It uses the same foundation of trust to prevent any non-BlackBerry version of Android from booting, thus preventing easy rooting of the Priv.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    01-16-16 04:03 PM
    Anything is possible if you are committed.
    In that case, get cracking on circumventing all of this.
    01-16-16 04:29 PM
    How many iPhones run Android, or vice versa?

Yes, you can do all kinds of things with Android, because Android is open-sourced, allowing anyone to put together a build on compatible hardware. But BB intentionally built their hardware to NOT be compatible with open-source OSs (only BB-signed OSs will work), and BB10 isn't open-source, so it can be done in either direction, except by BB themselves. And they have zero interest in doing so.
    01-17-16 02:47 PM
    How many iPhones run Android, or vice versa?

Yes, you can do all kinds of things with Android, because Android is open-sourced, allowing anyone to put together a build on compatible hardware. But BB intentionally built their hardware to NOT be compatible with open-source OSs (only BB-signed OSs will work), and BB10 isn't open-source, so it can be done in either direction, except by BB themselves. And they have zero interest in doing so.
    Actually, if you have an older iPhone (<5), you can install Android on it. It's not the easiest thing in the world to do, but there are well-written instructions around the WWW.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Passport (OG Red)
    01-18-16 12:21 AM