Hi Guys

We have a Z10 in the office, however are unable to connect it via IMAP to a personal email address. - We are able to setup POP which works (and pulls down all emails)

We have used the same IMAP settings on a iPhone 5 and this has setup and pulled down any unread mail. Is there any other tips for setting this up on BB10 ?

Thanks
    02-06-13 05:16 AM
    Hi there...

I'm having the same issue with set-up. I am awaiting reply from tech-support... I can only find HINTS to other users having difficulties with the set-up (but without posting a solution / workaround). Very annoying.
    02-07-13 10:52 AM
    Who is your cell provider?
    Bell is my provider however Telus email
    Settings are:
    Imap.telus.net
    Port 143
    Smtp service: mail.1xbell.ca
    Port: 25
    Sst off
    Hope this helps
    02-07-13 11:50 AM
    I just commented in another thread about how IMAP email doesn't work very well on the Playbook. It constantly wants to verify the password. It works ok on the 9900, but seeing that BB10 has the same issue makes me wonder.
    02-07-13 12:10 PM
    Thanks @dmbfire - Based in the UK and with O2.

My email provider Tech support are trying to assist with the issue too.

EDIT: Well my email provider was no use whatsoever... the response was: "In order to get specific instructions for your phone you will need to contact your vendor/provider. The server and settings are all correct but I'm afraid we cannot have details for every phone/model."

- OK, so they take my money for IMAP upgrades to my company domain mailboxes and you won't even assist with finding a solution! Perfect!
    Last edited by jrb-uk; 02-08-13 at 12:09 PM.
    02-07-13 12:15 PM
    On my mail server, I use courier-imap-ssl server. (on Linux distribution)

Work perfectly and support IMAP PUSH... so I receive my mail on BB10 before, and few minutes after on BBOS using BIS.

Nicolas
    kultissime likes this.
    02-07-13 12:31 PM
    I don't know what the **** I'm doing wrong, but I cant get my IMAP email to work.. I keep getting an error. I use HostGator/cPanel and I've tried both the Secured SSL and Non-SSL Settings that they suggest without any luck.

Anybody have any tips?
    02-07-13 04:02 PM
    I don't know what the **** I'm doing wrong, but I cant get my IMAP email to work.. I keep getting an error. I use HostGator/cPanel and I've tried both the Secured SSL and Non-SSL Settings that they suggest without any luck.

Anybody have any tips?
    I don't have a Z10 yet (not available in the USA yet) but if you'd like to post a screenshot of the settings screen(s) (including advanced if available) I can probably help, unless it's a system bug of some kind.
    02-07-13 07:39 PM
    I am aware MANY of us are having this same issue and BB is aware of the problem and scrambling to fix. I give them a week and then sadly my Z10 has to go back as I need my email everywhere.... from what I understand wireless settings aren't sending over wifi so your email if working is still getting backed up until you switch back to wireless data. CRAZY that BB would send this phone/OS out without having this issue resolved. I am a stock owner and seriously pissed!!!!
    02-08-13 12:11 PM
    Since my migration from BlackBerry Bold 9700/9780 to BlackBerry Z10 I noticed my personal email account (IMAP IDLE) does not mark emails read on the smartphone as read on the mail server. By the way, the email server is hosted Zimbra.
    02-08-13 02:00 PM
    I don't have a Z10 yet (not available in the USA yet) but if you'd like to post a screenshot of the settings screen(s) (including advanced if available) I can probably help, unless it's a system bug of some kind.
    Well I figured it out.. kinda. I got my email to work. Instead of using the 'Advanced' method of installation (Settings > Accounts > Add Account > Advanced) and then choosing IMAP etc. I got it to work (and sync emails sent via Outlook to my Z10 etc) by simply choosing to Add Account > Email, Calendar and Contacts and it filled out all information on its own - I only put in my email address and it populated all fields for me...it did use all the same info as I had filled in on my previous attempts (not sure if me restarting the device and/or trying a day later had anything to do with it working, but it now works perfectly!).
    02-08-13 03:54 PM
    Thank you, @croman... I will try the method you've explained above.

Fingers crossed!

--------------- Update --------------

Unfortunately, that didn't work for me. It is very strange that I can configure my PlayBook (wifi) to accept the settings and work well with my mail server.

I did attempt to configure once again on the Z10 (with network / data disabled - and connected to wifi)... So there HAS to be a device software issue with the current BB10 build.
    Last edited by jrb-uk; 02-08-13 at 05:13 PM.
    02-08-13 04:10 PM
    I hate those "automatic" email configuration things. Apple popularized that. It's great if you want to treat all your customers like idiots, but I want to KNOW what it's doing and have my own control over it.

I imagine croman was just lucky that the automatic thing guessed right for his provider. There are plenty of cases where those things do NOT guess right.

As an I.T. guy who always wanted to buck the system of making things difficult for users in order to wedge myself into an organization, I always strove to make things as easy as possible for users.

But I also discovered that if you create a situation where people don't have to know anything to use a computer, they end up being like spoiled children who never had to do anything or figure out anything for themselves. I don't think it serves your customers in the long run to expect them to be idiots incapable of setting a few email settings. They become tech invalids and then when something goes wrong, no one has the foggiest notion why...
    02-08-13 09:20 PM
    Having the same problem. I miss my old blackberrys where I could put in my username and password and I was up and running.

I've tried probably a hundred times and I still keep getting "the server is not responding".

I called rogers tech support, they couldn't help. And my IT guy just says "we don't administer outside devices, call your wireless provider"

I love this phone but without my work email it is mostly useless to me. I'm humiliated... I've been talking up this phone for months and now I can't even get it to function at its most basic level.

I've gone over 30 minutes talk time so Rogers won't take it back. If I can't get it going by Monday I'm considering putting it on Ebay while I can still get something for it.
    02-08-13 10:17 PM
    Having the same problem.
    What problem specifically? Anything other messages other than "server not responding"? Double/triple checked the hostname is spelled correctly? Not doing something like transposing "zeros" and "O's"?

One thing I have heard is that Blackberries can be picky about certificates - a lot of stupid email clients ignore lousy server certificates that are broken, Blackberries apparently don't because otherwise security is impossible. Do you get an SSL or x.509 or certificate error? Can you try connecting without using encryption? (Sometimes that uses a different hostname or port)

I would also suggest trying to setup some other email accounts and see if you can make those work. Can you setup a Yahoo account and get it working? Gmail? Hotmail?

Used to be fastmail.fm had a low-traffic IMAP-capable account tier that was free - they've changed their website and super-simplified it, don't know if they still offer that, but it would be an easy way to test basic IMAP functionality.

Does web browsing work?
    02-08-13 11:04 PM
    Re: my suggestion above to use Fastmail.fm as a test IMAP account - after Opera took them over they turned fastmail.fm into a pay-only service, but they still have a free IMAP-capable email service available at mail.opera.com.

Should be a good test of basic IMAP capability, and there is no cost. HTH
    02-08-13 11:13 PM
    Hi phobiaphobe, being put in the middle between your employer and wireless carrier is unpleasant. I'd like to try to help you troubleshoot.

Some questions: does your IMAP account work without modification on Outlook (or Apple Mail) and Mozilla Thuderbird? Does your IMAP server use SSL? Have you been able to load this IMAP account on a BlackBerry PlayBook? Is the setup failing on both Wifi and cellular network?

Thanks.
    02-08-13 11:35 PM
    In addition to testing with mail.opera.com, you can also use Gmail's IMAP if you have a Google account. Alternatively if you have an AOL, AIM or Tunome account, you can test with AOL's mail servers. You can find settings by searching for "AOL Open Access" in search engine of your choice.
    Last edited by b320; 02-09-13 at 01:07 AM.
    02-08-13 11:38 PM
    I would reiterate - mail.opera.com is an excellent choice because it's A) free and B) based on the fastmail infrastructure which has been a pioneer in IMAP email hosting, and they also support some of the new cutting-edge "Lemonade" IMAP extensions which are designed specifically to make IMAP more efficient for mobile devices. No proprietary stuff. ;-)

(Also, I personally believe Opera is a very reputable company, and trustworthy. Could have gone much worse for fastmail, they could have gotten bought out by godaddy or something..)
    02-09-13 12:51 AM
    Browser works, Gmail works, Hotmail works just can't get my work email to work

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 08:24 AM
    I've tried it with the wifi disabled, should i try it with the network disabled?

02-09-13 08:25 AM
    Still having no luck but I've got k9 mail as a temporary solution. It has some light hub functionality

02-09-13 02:23 PM
    Well... after trying for 4 days of attempting to configure my company imap email. Researching forums, communities, and postings, being told by my email host IT department to check settings and contact BlackBerry... I decided to take my business email to Exchange (Office365) with 90 days 'FREE' trial for P1 package (up to 10 user accounts)....

Configured my domain email to point to the sharedpoint servers. Within 2 hours everything had propagated and I have full control of email, contacts, calendars (on PlayBook) and email, contacts, calendars, notes and tasks 'in Remember' on my Z10... in addition to full migration of my imap mailboxes.

At least this will enable BlackBerry to work on a solution to this problem whilst I can get back to some work!
    02-09-13 06:00 PM
    I've tried it with the wifi disabled, should i try it with the network disabled?

Tried that...  Works fine on PlayBook but no go on Z10
    02-09-13 06:03 PM
    Work Around Solution found ..

( From Canada, BC)
    I have a telus email address
    I have a bb10 on rogers network
    ????=your own personal user name ie "[email protected]"
    1) @ User name put in .. "[email protected]"
    2) @ Email Address put in your email address "[email protected]"
    3) @ Server address DO NOT PUT imap.telus.net instead use "pop.telus.net"
    4) Port = 110
    5) SSL = off
    6) SMTP = leave clear - do not put anything in
    7) SMTP Password = clear - do not put anything in
    8) SMTP Server Address = "smtp.rogerswirelessdata.com" ( you should use the configuration FROM YOUR CARRIER - not the email provider !!!)
    9) SMTP Port = 25
    10) SMTP Encryption = off
    11) Sync Interval = 15 or 30 min

** NOTE - this will remove the messeges from your server though !!!
    Good luck !
    LFRojo likes this.
    02-11-13 04:50 PM
49 12