Does anybody have any insight as to what the default dpi of an image taken on the Z10 will be? I enlarge photos and print them on canvas at work, and images have to be 300dpi to meet print quality. People send us pictures from phones that look ok on their screen, however when you blow it up, they suck. People don't understand that because it looks good on their tiny screen, it doesn't mean it will look good enlarged. The phones we have tested, (Galaxy S3, iPhone5, HTC One Hero, etc.) all of them have a default setting of 72dpi when imported to a computer. 72dpi is all the better a monitor can display, but 300dpi is the standard print quality throughout the industry. Can anyone with a Dev Alpha import a photo from the device, into Photoshop and tell me the image size and dpi quality?
    01-17-13 11:36 AM
    I don't know, But I take Pictures all the time. For Pictures on Vacation I carry a Nokia 808 PureView. My Berry will be for communication and My 808 is for Vacation
    01-17-13 11:53 AM
    Dont know about these camera terms what I do know is there have been threads with test shots check it out let us know your take on things.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-alpha-757229/
    01-17-13 02:31 PM
    Dont know about these camera terms what I do know is there have been threads with test shots check it out let us know your take on things.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-alpha-757229/
    It seems these images have been compressed at some point. They are web sized files so maybe that happened during the upload to the forums? (Don't really know, just a guess) What I really need is for someone with Photoshop to open an image from their Dev, go to image>image size> then it will have the info about resolution and pixels/inch (dpi). This would give me a heads up as to if we can use images people send us that they have taken from the new BB10 device when it comes out. No other phone can do it as a standard right now, so BB10 would be a first if it can.
    01-18-13 09:46 AM
    The Z10 has better image quality and DPI. I think it is 356 for the Z10 and 322 or something for the iPhone 5.
    01-21-13 03:28 PM
    72dpi is all the better a monitor can display, but 300dpi is the standard print quality throughout the industry.
    This is a misnomer, as some of my professional graphics friends have pointed out to me because both the DPI and the dimensions are important.

For example, a 300 DPI photo that's an inch by an inch isn't going to be blown up and printed as a 24" by 24" wall poster. Likewise, you can probably get a pretty awesome 4 x 6 print out of a photo that's 8192 x 6144 @ 72 DPI.
    01-21-13 04:01 PM
    72 vs 300dpi doesn't work that way in digital imaging. You need to be concerned with PPI. An image, short of resizing it, will only ever have an amount of pixels equal to the resolution. Say you had an 8mp image that is 2448x3264. Photoshop by default will load that in at 72ppi. The resulted printed image at 72ppi is a 34x45 image of obviously poor quality. If you wanted an image at 300dpi it would be 8x10 you can't just make more dots than there are pixels. The dpi shown in PhotoShop is irrelevant. If you want more you need to resample up.

relevant link
    DPI and PPI Explained – Andrew Dacey Photography
    01-22-13 10:24 AM
    I understand you can't just make more pixels, it does to work that way. And yes, you can have a great quality print out at 72dpi if the image is small in dimension. Your average Digital SLR camera takes an image that when opened up in photoshop, or any other photo software, is already at 300dpi. All I want to know is what the dimensions and dpi are of an unedited picture from a dev alpha. Otherwise I will just wait until I can buy a Z10 and check it out myself. Thanks though.
    01-24-13 09:37 PM
    I understand you can't just make more pixels, it does to work that way. And yes, you can have a great quality print out at 72dpi if the image is small in dimension. Your average Digital SLR camera takes an image that when opened up in photoshop, or any other photo software, is already at 300dpi. All I want to know is what the dimensions and dpi are of an unedited picture from a dev alpha. Otherwise I will just wait until I can buy a Z10 and check it out myself. Thanks though.
    its an 8Mp camera when in 4:3 viewing mode. this would give you a size of 3264x2448 pixels.
    the dpi o fthe image i dont know, although i can definitley say previous posters saying 356dpi are talking about the screen not the image created by the camera.

also note in 16:9 (full screen image) you`ll get about a 6mp photo
    01-24-13 09:49 PM
    *sigh* No. Digital cameras do not work like that. Until you tell a digital picture what size to be, it doesn't have a dpi, it just has pixels. Those pixels will be more or less spread out depending on how large you tell the photo to be. A camera cannot natively put out an image that has a DPI (or a PPI), it puts out an image that is x pixels by y pixels. When you tell the image to display or to print, thats when you create a DPI. The higher the DPI of a printer or screen, the better image quality that you will get. But cameras don't have DPI or PPI. You create the DPI by telling the image to be whatever size.
    01-25-13 12:41 AM
    *sigh* No. Digital cameras do not work like that. Until you tell a digital picture what size to be, it doesn't have a dpi, it just has pixels. Those pixels will be more or less spread out depending on how large you tell the photo to be. A camera cannot natively put out an image that has a DPI (or a PPI), it puts out an image that is x pixels by y pixels. When you tell the image to display or to print, thats when you create a DPI. The higher the DPI of a printer or screen, the better image quality that you will get. But cameras don't have DPI or PPI. You create the DPI by telling the image to be whatever size.
    Wow, thanks, I never realised that and you explained it very well.

Learn something new everyday

Stephane
    01-25-13 08:29 AM
    Right as my Media Portfolio Professor says to me. If you're going to be printing something for an AD Agency, Digital Art or Commercial Art use 300 PPI.
    01-25-13 12:29 PM
    Right as my Media Portfolio Professor says to me. If you're going to be printing something for an AD Agency, Digital Art or Commercial Art use 300 PPI.
    we gt 355 not bad eh.
    01-25-13 05:38 PM