Spent the last year complaining about blackberry's contact app.. Well I'm sitting here completely frustrated with contacts on my moto g now. This is android KitKat 4.4 so you'd think it was bulletproof but nope. All I wanted was my phone and sim contacts to be synced with gmail or outlook. It just won't happen. Every time I manually sync my phones contacts double then triple then quadruple.... I'm frustrated to say the least. I hope blackberry can figure out how to make contacts easy again for when I come back one day when they make a modern all touch. Point of story is the grass is always greener on the other side!

Posted via CrackBerry App
    gebco likes this.
    08-20-14 04:27 PM
    Hope you come back! The contact situation is not too bad once you understand what's going on.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-20-14 04:29 PM
    Time for some more unapologetic.:
    08-20-14 04:38 PM
    2005 is when I got my first bb. Never had an issue until bb10 which is when my troubles started. I had no gmail only hotmail contacts. Over the years I gained about 700 contacts through business which I used link to transfer from one to another. Bb10 started deleting contacts on me doubling them up randomly , linking people who should not be linked and nowhere out there including the help menu was information on how to work it properly. Before I went to android I saved all my contacts to Sim regularly but when I imported from Sim to my moto g only about 10% were there and many of those were only the contact name but no number attached. So I spent the last two weeks manually putting contacts into my phone and have been trying to sync them with my hotmail acct or my new gmail acct for the last few days with no success. There is actually no way of saving to Sim only importing from Sim on this phone. I don't know why things have to be so difficult

08-20-14 04:47 PM
    Good (not really 'good') to know the grass is just as brown on the other side..... : /

My contacts have somehow stabilized and remained so for the past 6 months or so. Have a separate Gmail account I use just for the contact sync (so nothing gets added to it automatically when you email someone). Disabled any other social 'friend finding' setting I could. Now it seems to just behave like a manually maintained 'dumb' contact list that is one-way backed up (i.e. From device to 'the cloud')... which is so ... exactly what I need.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 05:32 PM
    Since one of the latest updates my contacts have been fixed completely. There was a thread from someone else about it being fixed as well

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    08-20-14 06:08 PM
    I'll try and find a thread because my contacts are still a complete fluster f.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 06:15 PM
    I'll try and find a thread because my contacts are still a complete fluster f.

Posted via CB10
    Same

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 07:08 PM
    2005 is when I got my first bb. Never had an issue until bb10 which is when my troubles started. I had no gmail only hotmail contacts. Over the years I gained about 700 contacts through business which I used link to transfer from one to another. Bb10 started deleting contacts on me doubling them up randomly , linking people who should not be linked and nowhere out there including the help menu was information on how to work it properly. Before I went to android I saved all my contacts to Sim regularly but when I imported from Sim to my moto g only about 10% were there and many of those were only the contact name but no number attached. So I spent the last two weeks manually putting contacts into my phone and have been trying to sync them with my hotmail acct or my new gmail acct for the last few days with no success. There is actually no way of saving to Sim only importing from Sim on this phone. I don't know why things have to be so difficult

I got fed up with Android very early, around 2.2 I think.

Stopped sincing BBOS phones with GMail precicely because each sync cycle would cause them to duplicate. BB10 is the only phone I've had that seems to be able to handle GMail contacts.

The trick to managing contact linking is to have a common identifier across contacts you want linked, and none across those you don't. Most contact entries arrive by email and are usually created in a non-standard way. If you get the same first/last name, email, Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn handle across entries they will link. Very frustrating when partners share an email address. Be warry of getting Dr, Ms, Mr etc in the first name spot.

It is far from perfect, but as a tool for managing disparate contact lists across 11 email accounts, and 6 social media/chat accounts I haven't seen anything that does what it can do.
    08-20-14 07:23 PM