Assuming some company wanted to license bb10 and create a new bb10 phone and any necessary hardware (keyboard, LED, etc.), I have some questions.

Would BlackBerry be willing to pay for new drivers if the licensee wanted to use the best chipset available? What would drivers cost roughly, anyway?

What sort of form would most users like to see in such a new hypothetical bb10 device? There are many threads about OS dreamlist, but what about the hardware itself?

Would such a device be better suited for business or general public usage (and therefore designed with this in mind)?

Would BlackBerry just sell bb10 outright, or would there be better value in retaining it, even in EOL status?

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    02-02-17 11:48 AM
    Please read this article: Cleaning up the Confusion: What you need to know about BlackBerry and BlackBerry Mobile | CrackBerry.com

Specifically:
    "...it's clear that the future of BlackBerry phones is ANDROID powered. Within the CrackBerry community we have a significant percentage of users who still love and use their BlackBerry 10 phones and really, really, REALLY want BlackBerry / BlackBerry Mobile to manufacture more BlackBerry 10 phones.

As much I hate to say it, it's just not going to happen. BlackBerry is clearly out of the hardware game now, and BlackBerry Mobile is manufacturing Android phones. Getting angry and holding out for more BlackBerry 10 phones isn't going to help make it happen, so my suggestion for those who love BlackBerry is to start getting excited about your next BlackBerry being Android powered. You're just going to be stewing and angry for a long time if you hold out hope - it's less painful to treat BlackBerry 10 as an end of life product at this point.
    "
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-02-17 12:06 PM
    All these questions have been answered many, many times already, in multiple threads on CrackBerry.
    02-02-17 12:10 PM
    I will repeat. ASSUMING. As in, purely hypothetical situation.

I agree that bb10 is dead. But in a fantasy world where it isn't, what might a new device look like?

02-02-17 12:28 PM
    I doubt It would be a PKB. Most likely the manufacturer would take the conservative route and use a slab it already produces in quantity. They'd have to minimize the financial risk.

If Blackberry was going to pay for drivers it would have kept building its own in-house phones. They said already that it wouldn't be worth investing money into coding more drivers. That's why almost all the phones ran on the antiquated S4 chipsets. Sunk costs.

I don't think the company would ever sell BB10 because that gives away the keys to the kingdom to a party they can't control. That would be a complete compromise of the platform's security. Remember when Lenovo (a Chinese company) was interested in buying Blackberry but the Canadian government blocked it? Would you feel safe and sound with your BB10 phone if that had happened?
    02-02-17 12:30 PM
    The new BB10 devices will come in all form factors, be able to play demanding games for seven days on battery, have parts from 2027, come in your choice of titanium, carbon fiber or solid gold, and it's all yours for the low, low price of free.

Since if you're going to fantasize hard enough that BB10 has a future, you might as well go the extra inch into ultimate phone fantasy territory.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-02-17 12:35 PM
    I'm holding out for the landscape clamshell PKB. Basically like a little palmtop laptop. No, exactly like a little palmtop laptop.

Seriously, I need a smartphone to replace my HP LX200.
    Attached Thumbnails If there was a new bb10 device...-hp200lx-1.jpg  
    02-02-17 02:14 PM
    Oh, i'd like one too. I had hopes about the Nokia xpression NX, but it seems like only a concept for now.

Closest I've seen is LG Optimus f3q but that's a bit old now. Not enough people want landscape pkb phones anymore.

02-02-17 02:18 PM
    I doubt It would be a PKB. Most likely the manufacturer would take the conservative route and use a slab it already produces in quantity. They'd have to minimize the financial risk.

If Blackberry was going to pay for drivers it would have kept building its own in-house phones. They said already that it wouldn't be worth investing money into coding more drivers. That's why almost all the phones ran on the antiquated S4 chipsets. Sunk costs.

I don't think the company would ever sell BB10 because that gives away the keys to the kingdom to a party they can't control. That would be a complete compromise of the platform's security. Remember when Lenovo (a Chinese company) was interested in buying Blackberry but the Canadian government blocked it? Would you feel safe and sound with your BB10 phone if that had happened?
    Antiquated chipsets? Or proven rock solid chipsets because of their age?

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    02-02-17 04:17 PM
    That depends, are you a glass half'full or half-empty guy?

02-02-17 04:18 PM
    Antiquated. No question.
    02-02-17 04:21 PM
    Antiquated. No question.
    Well, to me they're proven and rock solid. I prefer well-tested hardware over cutting edge buggy hardware (Galaxy Note 7, anyone?). It's easy to fix software most of the time, it's not so easy fix hardware once it's in end-users hands.

02-02-17 04:40 PM

Unlike this forum, technology moves forward.

The Note 7 was a battery design problem, not a chipset problem.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    02-02-17 05:03 PM
    I will repeat. ASSUMING. As in, purely hypothetical situation.

I agree that bb10 is dead. But in a fantasy world where it isn't, what might a new device look like?
    What did you think those threads covered? They were all hypothetical.
    02-02-17 05:04 PM
    Come to think of it, a lot of things about BlackBerry are hypothetical now. That is what makes these forums fun to read. Empty calories with no intrinsic significance, but then again, it's CRACKberry.

02-02-17 05:16 PM
    Well, to me they're proven and rock solid. I prefer well-tested hardware over cutting edge buggy hardware (Galaxy Note 7, anyone?). It's easy to fix software most of the time, it's not so easy fix hardware once it's in end-users hands.
    So, one single phone has a fairly major battery issue, and that makes all new SOCs unreliable?
    app_Developer likes this.
    02-02-17 05:31 PM
    How many bugs have their been in SoC's that can't be dealt with in software?

For that matter, how many bugs have their been in SoC's at all?
    02-02-17 06:04 PM
    How many bugs have their been in SoC's that can't be dealt with in software?

For that matter, how many bugs have their been in SoC's at all?
    I don't think there's been cases of buggy CPUs since the 1990s.
    02-02-17 06:07 PM
    Unlike this forum, technology moves forward.

The Note 7 was a battery design problem, not a chipset problem.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    I didn't say it was a chipset problem, I just tried to make a point. But if you want a chipset problem example: the first Intel chipset for smartphones wasn't particularly working well, causing instabilities (experienced that myself as well, and Motorola eventually did too and stopped producing said model (Motorola RAZR i, moving forward with Qualcomm). and some of the VIA chipsets were causing instabilities as well until 2 years ago, particularly in Alcatel Android phones.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    02-02-17 11:46 PM