I only want to share my thoughts on what Mr. Heins probably means.
    As we know mirracast, Direct Wi-Fi and Bluetooth will be available to BB10 mobile computing devices soon.
    Next, if you take dummy 10 or 7 inch screen even with 1080p resolution and touch interface.
    No processor, no memory cheap and simple.
    Then you can extend all your experience from Z10/A10/Q10/Q5 to this screen and touch.
    In terms of battery usage it should be great, you can add big battery to it and also use it to recharge your phone.
    Actually can connect to this dummy tablet while keeping phones screen turned off.
    Short range communication may be optimized to use much less power then even OLED screen.

Eventually this may be improved by using very low cost processor on the tablet to enable gesture recognition or for compressing the video stream.

And this will be really cheap to produce, no development cost almost no complex hardware.
    The deal: buy Q10 and get tablet for 50$.
    07-17-13 12:09 PM
    I think you underestimate the cost for the "dummy" screen. $50 isnt going to be enough to pay the BOM. I think your idea is similar to the mobile computing vision that TH keeps talk about though.
    sergey_IL likes this.
    07-17-13 12:16 PM
    I have some experience in hardware industry (worked till recently). Lets say 7 inch, 720p screen may cost 10-15 USD, other parts would be based on standard solution for Wi-Fi (in terms of PCB and ICs) will cost 5 USD. The main cost always come from complex PCB because it requires special assembly and inspection more tricky enclosure design and so more cost to assemble whole dives. But if you keep it simple and use standard solution (and high volume production, which is above 1mln units per quarter) you can get really cheap device. Also for every todays gadget more cost comes from the hardware software design.
    Also BlackBerry can sell it on zero profit to promote BB10 and compensate for the Playbook.
    07-17-13 12:24 PM
    ipad mini screen costs about $80 and you want your screen to be at least that good. I just dont see a $10-15 screen cutting it.
    07-17-13 12:48 PM
    The main point is the dummy device should cost much less than full tablet anyway. The actual cost and specs is up to BB. Any way it could be competitive advantage.
    As I've mentioned, less complex devices always cost much much less and I'm not sure that ipad mini screen costs 80$ for Apple, it much less.

I think I understand your price estimate. If you are looking for retailer screen replacement it will cost 70-80 USD.
    The same thing is happening with almost any electronic component, lets say you want to by Wi-Fi module 1pc it will cost you 5-7 times more than to industrial customer who buys 1 mln of those.
    07-17-13 12:53 PM
    if you take dummy 10 or 7 inch screen even with 1080p resolution and touch interface.
    Then you can extend all your experience from Z10/A10/Q10/Q5 to this screen and touch.
    In terms of battery usage it should be great, you can add big battery to it and also use it to recharge your phone.
    Oh, you mean like my PlayBook.
    Just waiting for it to happen.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 02:16 PM
    I only want to share my thoughts on what Mr. Heins probably means.
    As we know mirracast, Direct Wi-Fi and Bluetooth will be available to BB10 mobile computing devices soon.
    Next, if you take dummy 10 or 7 inch screen even with 1080p resolution and touch interface.
    Actually can connect to this dummy tablet while keeping phones screen turned off.
    Short range communication may be optimized to use much less power then even OLED screen.

Eventually this may be improved by using very low cost processor on the tablet to enable gesture recognition or for compressing the video stream.

And this will be really cheap to produce, no development cost almost no complex hardware.
    The deal: buy Q10 and get tablet for 50$.
    Just like the Asus Padfone

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=MmDeN-OiRh4

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 03:41 PM
    Padfon is an example of bad implementation of this idea. I imagine this like real tablet experience without being actually a tablet.
    Lets say it will have simple gesture recognition power on button. Usage case scenario:
    1) User takes the tablet and uses unlock gesture or press the power on button
    2) Tablet connecting by BlueTooth to BB10 phone (like any other accessory).
    3) BB10 phone initiates Miracast connection to the tablet.
    4) At this point user gets full access to all his phone.

User input can be transferred by Bluetooth to the phone and phone output forwarded to tablet screen (and sound).
    You get much more seamless experience. And if its done well, user almost can not tell the difference between the real tablet and this dummy.
    The main problem is the latency, but the RF link is supposed to be point to point, i.e. no routing no latency.
    Even WiFi G can provide enough throughput for this, in case of point to point connection.
    07-17-13 03:59 PM
    Thanks for sharing this. I really like the idea of the extended screen idea.

That was their vision for the Playbook right? Minus the cancellation of Bb10..

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 05:57 PM
    A dummy tablet that is practically nonfunctional without the smartphone that it is paired with. Yeah, that ought to be real popular. You must not have kids. Being able to hand off your tablet and let them browse, YouTube, video stream, play games, rock out and leave you to your smartphone is priceless. And don't bother suggesting that you can do both as long as they are paired. Who wants a 15 foot leash that ties you to where your kids are playing? I'll take the fully functional tablet for $199 to $500 and take my smartphone with me.
    07-17-13 06:10 PM
    When you talk about the screen, are you including the price of the digitizer or was that under the misc parts for 15?

I really don't like the idea of a bunch of dummy screens and everything running off my phone. I may be in the minority, but I prefer disconnected devices. I don't mind things linking up, but I want to be able to use them on their own as well.
    07-17-13 06:12 PM
    It isn't for the consumer, the cheap screen is for providers, say on an airplane or a cab, store front or coffee shops and restaurants. Better quality screens for consumers yes, but first put them in the public places, thus creating familiarity then demand? Problem is poor BB10 market penatration so that may be too big a stretch. Got to build some passion around this story to get people paying attention. BlackBerry should build and give these low cost screens away to coffee shops, put one in every Starbucks and get BB10 people doing stuff on them, surf the web, play games, Citrix in to work and BBM Chat with any one. That will get people 's attention.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 06:29 PM
    A dummy tablet that is practically nonfunctional without the smartphone that it is paired with. Yeah, that ought to be real popular. You must not have kids. Being able to hand off your tablet and let them browse, YouTube, video stream, play games, rock out and leave you to your smartphone is priceless. And don't bother suggesting that you can do both as long as they are paired. Who wants a 15 foot leash that ties you to where your kids are playing? I'll take the fully functional tablet for $199 to $500 and take my smartphone with me.
    I didn't think about it
    I'm using my tablet mostly for PDF, internet and games. It's always with me and I don't have kids ...
    07-17-13 06:35 PM
    OP, I want a standalone tablet which integrates with my smartphone via BlackBerry Bridge. I certainly don't want an accessory which merely provides a larger viewport onto my smartphone. I already have the option to use HDMI if all I want is a bigger viewport.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    07-18-13 06:56 AM
    OK. I see this was bad idea. Thank you for your opinions!
    07-18-13 08:52 AM