My only complaint with BB maps is there is no speed notification......I have a lead foot and some of the other GPS apps like TomTom have an audible alert when you go over the limit......
    07-07-14 10:23 PM
    My only complaint with BB maps is there is no speed notification......I have a lead foot and some of the other GPS apps like TomTom have an audible alert when you go over the limit......
    Isn't that why car manufacturers install speedometers?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 10:40 PM
    You're searching for
    47.83469,-84.30217
    Which doesn't work *shrug*

Search for
    Which does work

Side note.. I BlackBerry maps can't "plan route" with location turned off.. give an incorrect error..
    Latitude before longitude is how it's correctly done. And GPS shouldn't be a factor in finding coordinates, my desktop can do that from a browser with no GPS unit.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 10:42 PM
    The beauty of apps - install and use what you like - what's best for you is best for you! Don't care to hear Google better or BlackBerry is better. I know I use both because I know the limitations of each. Point is this - nice to have choice!

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 10:49 PM
    Latitude before longitude is how it's correctly done. And GPS shouldn't be a factor in finding coordinates, my desktop can do that from a browser with no GPS unit.

Posted via CB10
    Hey, don't blame me. I'm just let ting oh know I opened maps up to try to find coordinates because I remember maps showing coordinates in you tap and hold on an unknown location. I could only pull results up by searching the opposite of the coordinates that were used.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should need gps to find coordinates or planning a route. im saying it's stupid af that it doesn't work
    07-07-14 10:50 PM
    The one thing that stops me from using BlackBerry Maps, is the absence of a pedestrian or bicycle modus..
    07-08-14 02:40 AM
    I�m using BlackBerry Maps. No Problems till now. I only go to Navfree when i�m in other countries because they offer offline maps
    07-08-14 06:12 AM
    As others have mentioned, without transit directions BB Maps is no good for my navigation needs.
    07-08-14 07:51 AM
    I use BB Maps in conjunction with BeMaps Pro, and I'm satisfied with the results. For walking or public transit, I just use BeMaps Pro.

If you have "traffic enhanced" mode on in Settings, Maps will reroute you to avoid traffic. But it does it without informing you, so if you're familiar with the route you're on it may surprise you. I've tried ignoring it and continuing on my accustomed route and every time regretted doing so.

I've used Maps and Google Maps both pretty extensively, sometimes side-by-side. I'm in the Philadelphia area. For driving directions, I've found Maps to be pretty reliable. For POI searching, I think it's better than it used to be, but I still fall back on BeMaps Pro sometimes. But I really do have the sense that the POI database for Maps is being improved over time.

I agree that it would be a useful enhancement to be told whether the destination is on the left or right.
    07-08-14 07:53 AM
    BB10s latest maps is improved but it still doesn't handle spelling errrors like Google maps.

I like to use NavFree which integrates the Google search engine to find locations. So, a nice native app that does everything except report traffic data. But NavFree has map packs so you are not constantly streaming image data and eating up your monthly bandwidth allotment.
    07-08-14 07:54 AM
    BB10s latest maps is improved but it still doesn't handle spelling errrors like Google maps.

I like to use NavFree which integrates the Google search engine to find locations. So, a nice native app that does everything except report traffic data. But NavFree has map packs so you are not constantly streaming image data and eating up your monthly bandwidth allotment.
    But it's traffic reporting that I use the most, driving around Toronto this year has been a nightmare already with massive road-works going on in preparation for the Pan-Am games next year and knowing where the slow downs and ultimately the dead stops are ahead of time helps a lot. Also the heads up about and distance warnings about new snarl ups help me make detours easily.

I think I'm correct in saying that BB Maps uses very little data, if any at all. You need a data plan for the GPS to identify your device but outside of that really doesn't rely on it at all. I've never had cause to worry about data caps or limits as I've never seen a spike in data usage while running Maps.
    Last edited by Jonesy1966; 07-08-14 at 10:37 AM.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    07-08-14 08:26 AM
    But it's traffic data that I use the most, driving around Toronto this year has been a nightmare already with massive road-works going on in preparation for the Pan-Am games next year and knowing where the slow downs and ultimately the dead stops are ahead of time helps a lot. Also the heads up about and distance warnings about new snarl ups help me make detours easily.

I think I'm correct in saying that BB Maps uses very little data, if any at all. You need a data plan for the GPS to identify your device but outside of that really doesn't rely on it at all. I've never had cause to worry about data caps or limits as I've never seen a spike in data usage while running Maps.
    I second that sentiment! I'm in Ajax where we've been fortunate enough to host the baseball portion of the 2015 PamAm games. Ya that's a plug for our great town. That aside, traffic reporting as I move about the GTA is so useful to me especially as you say with the PamAm prep work going on everywhere. It helps me decide often whether to take the 401 or spend a little on the 407. I would like some of the richness of Google maps injected into BlackBerry maps, but for now, BlackBerry maps actually caused me to sell my old tom tom GPS . It works well for me.

Post via BlackBerry ZedAche 10.2.1.2102 (2141)
    07-08-14 08:45 AM
    How is data usage using BB Maps?

ETA: I noticed from a post a couple of posts up that data usage doesn't seem to be bad. Anybody with a different experience?
    Last edited by KemKev; 07-08-14 at 11:01 AM.
    07-08-14 10:35 AM
    While I prefer WAZE, I've never had any issues with BlackBerry Maps - especially the latest versions.
    07-08-14 11:49 AM
    BlackBerry Maps can get the job done for quite a few people that live in areas where it works/is available. But until it knows where I live* and allows people to report discrepancies, I'm not recommending it over alternatives.

*The entire road we live on doesn't exist according to BlackBerry Maps. No way to report that either. Even NavFree3 has a map of the roads and knows there's a neighborhood here. BlackBerry Maps has absolutely nothing, displays open area.

Posted via CB10
    nah.uhh likes this.
    07-08-14 05:49 PM
    The only reason I have Google maps is that I have a job where I receive this as a text.

latitude = 47.83469
    longitude = -84.30217

Which I enter as "47.83469,-84.30217"

And when I search on Google Maps it finds the location with no problem. BlackBerry Maps can't do that yet. But if any of you know how to send this info to whomever might could add this functionality to BlackBerry Maps. I would also happily delete Google Maps from my app selection on my Q!!!

Secret squirreling with my Q. DPI Private Investigations ?C0001FE5D ?
    Excellent example! On an educational level this shows Canadians as a fail!

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    07-09-14 06:30 AM
    BlackBerry Maps can get the job done for quite a few people that live in areas where it works/is available. But until it knows where I live* and allows people to report discrepancies, I'm not recommending it over alternatives.

*The entire road we live on doesn't exist according to BlackBerry Maps. No way to report that either. Even NavFree3 has a map of the roads and knows there's a neighborhood here. BlackBerry Maps has absolutely nothing, displays open area.

Posted via CB10
    The people under the stairs! (^) lol j/k

07-09-14 06:33 AM
    So what is the best one to use for traffic info and has multiple routing options?
    07-09-14 02:04 PM
    So what is the best one to use for traffic info and has multiple routing options?
    The BEST? Use an old bbos device and use BlackBerry traffic. Lol, seriously.
    Can't imagine why BlackBerry Traffic hasn't made its way to BlackBerry 10
    07-09-14 03:53 PM
    Still using Google Maps at the moment as it gives me directions when I take the public transportation. Which BlackBerry Maps doesn't give.

an addict ever since my first 8900
    For public transportation, I used Google Maps via BlackBerry browser. I use BlackBerry Maps (80%) and Mireo (20%) for everything else.

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    07-09-14 04:01 PM
    I am actually happy with the BlackBerry map information, but I hate the slight bit of stuttering every time I move the map to show the new area. Why do I have to wait for the empty grey area to get filled in?

Google Map on my Q10 is not that much better in this regard.

I hate to say this but my spare Galaxy S3 is a lot smoother when it comes to moving around in the Google map, and faster to load the details when zoomed in.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    07-10-14 02:10 AM
    I happened to find myself driving in downtown Toronto on Friday for a couple of hours, right in the middle of virtually every road and highway being ripped to shreds for next year's Pan Am Games, an Indy practice and a Katy Perry concert at the ACC. Maps was able to navigate perfectly around obstructions and road works, warn me of slow downs & traffic jams and give me ideas how long hold ups were going to cost me in time when I had to confront them. I'd say I'm more than happy with Maps, I rarely use my Garmin these days, most times I only boot it up for updates.
    vanrickman likes this.
    07-20-14 04:26 PM
    Excellent example! On an educational level this shows Canadians as a fail!

Nice to generalize all Canadians. I seem to fondly recall watching clips of Rick Mercer on speaking with Americans - you can YouTube it - where he in fact speaks to university educated American folk who demonstrate they actually know very little outside their American sphere of knowledge.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 08:57 AM
    Works flawlessly in Edmonton.
    Picks up new construction no problem.
    Very happy with the performance.

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    08-02-14 09:18 AM
74 123