EDIT: If you want to help me, please try the below conditions and report your findings. I don't need advises of the sort "you are not holding it right".

Hey folks,
    10.2.1.3175, Q10 (2gb RAM), here is the issue:
    Boot fresh, open 8 desktop tabs in the browser, make sure the browser uses 300-400 mb of RAM. You can switch between all tabs and they will not re-load (main reason I bought this phone an year ago). Then start closing the tabs and leave only 3 open.

At this point, check the browser's RAM allocation - mine doesn't get lower (e.g. Still stays 3-400mb). If I keep opening 2 more tabs, browser's RAM doesn't increase which means it is using the already allocated RAM.

Close the tabs and leave only 3 open. Then start opening apps, fill them up to 8 (make sure Browser doesn't closes). Check browser's memory usage (still 3-400mb for me), and then go back to browser - the current tab will most likely not reload but if you switch to 1st or 2nd tab, they will re-load.

Now, do the exact same thing but start fresh with the browser - close it, re-open and open same 3 tabs. It will use ~100mb RAM. Open all 8 apps, get back to the browser and you can switch between the 3 tabs without it re loading.

This is a HUGE issue as I open 100+ links a day, often have 10+ tabs open (for short period of time) and I have 3 tabs that need to be open 24/7. I do close the extra tabs but since the browser doesn't release the cached RAM, after a while the 3 permanent tabs I use will need to re-load which slows me down big time (some times I loose money if I am late 1s). Also, those 3 permanent tabs don't like the "remember me" feature with the BlackBerry browser and if I close and re-open the browser app I have to re-log in all 3.

I did side load the newest browser from 10.2.2 branch and it does the same thing. I also tried with on/off Disk cashe - no difference.
    I haven't tried 10.3 yet but I read that the browser is still buggy and crashes often.

Guys, please try for yourself and tell me if your browser behaves the same way. If doesn't, do share the OS and browser version please.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by djsvetljo; 09-21-14 at 03:10 PM.
    09-21-14 02:21 PM
    Doesn't sound like real world conditions. I've had no issues Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296. I've been closing browser tabs on my desktop and mobiles for years. Personal pet peeve and everyone knows hogs your ram. A Lot easier to just use a bookmark.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 02:36 PM
    It is real world condition for me, daily!
    Bookmarks don't work for those 3 pages as I have to sign in every single time since the "remember me" doesn't work on my BlackBerry for those 3 pages.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 02:37 PM
    I would guess this is because it is using all the memory for the 2-3 tabs that it's keeping open (that don't need to reload). Any other tabs would need to be reloaded so wouldn't really be using much, if any, memory.

I'm on 10.2.1.2977. My browser used around 55mb with two tabs. 65 with 3 and now up to 73 with 5 and 94 with 8. When I start closing them the memory usage doesn't go immediately down, but went down eventually.

I've never had an issue where I'm running out of memory, don't view this as an issue.
    09-21-14 02:40 PM

I'm on 10.2.1.2977. My browser used around 55mb with two tabs. 65 with 3 and now up to 73 with 5 and 94 with 8. When I start closing them the memory usage doesn't go immediately down, but went down eventually.

I've never had an issue where I'm running out of memory, don't view this as an issue.
    It is impossible 8 open DESKTOP tabs under <100 mbs. Open CNN.com desktop version - mine uses 105mb.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 02:45 PM
    Here is CNN.com browser fresh start:

Huge Browser RAM leak issue, how was this never mentioned before?-img_20140921_144517.png
    Huge Browser RAM leak issue, how was this never mentioned before?-img_20140921_144636.png

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 02:47 PM
    It is impossible 8 open DESKTOP tabs under <100 mbs. Open CNN.com desktop version - mine uses 105mb.

Posted via CB10
    Right this second, do you have disk cache turned on or off?
    09-21-14 02:48 PM
    Right this second, do you have disk cache turned on or off?
    Currently ON.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 02:49 PM
    Just tried it with Disk Cache OFF - CNN.com fresh start - 137mb of ram

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 02:50 PM
    55mb for me

Huge Browser RAM leak issue, how was this never mentioned before?-img_20140921_145352.png
    Huge Browser RAM leak issue, how was this never mentioned before?-img_20140921_145406.png
    Huge Browser RAM leak issue, how was this never mentioned before?-img_20140921_145418.png
    09-21-14 02:54 PM
    Stop looking at RAM guys... the OS would manage it for you.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 02:57 PM
    55mb for me

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140921_145352.png 
Views:	3082 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	299415

Name:	IMG_20140921_145406.png 
Views:	3083 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	299416

Name:	IMG_20140921_145418.png 
Views:	3090 
Size:	442.3 KB 
ID:	299417
    What OS/browser version?

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 02:58 PM
    Stop looking at RAM guys... the OS would manage it for you.

Posted via CB10
    Oh yeah, I would think about you every time my pages reload. I usually don't care about numbers, but I use this phone for business and I loose money sometimes because of pages re-load.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 02:59 PM
    I feel your pain dude... Don't worry, there are decent people around here as well as the smartasses... I'm usually one of them, haha. I'm on Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.1052. Browser version 10.3.0.45. Disk Cache is on. No reboot.
    djsvet likes this.
    09-21-14 03:01 PM
    Oh yeah, I would think about you every time my pages reload. I usually don't care about numbers, but I use this phone for business and I loose money sometimes because of pages re-load.

Posted via CB10
    Alternative.. you can try an android browser.
    Next browser, Firefox FOSS, lightning browser FOSS, tint browser FOSS, I think chrome is working on 10.3
    djsvet likes this.
    09-21-14 03:03 PM
    Alternative.. you can try an android browser.
    Next browser, Firefox FOSS, lightning browser FOSS, tint browser FOSS, I think chrome is working on 10.3
    Flash is the issue but I am looking into it.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 03:08 PM
    First a memory leak is a condition where memory is allocated and never freed even after it is no longer in use. Calling this situation something it isn't is bound to get people's hackles up and attract snippy replies.

I fully believe what you are saying, but it is a case where the browser is optimised in a way that acts counter to your needs. This is not uncommon.

That brings us to what to do about it. If you can make a business case to BlackBerry they may reconfigure the browser to improve performance for your use case. But if there aren't a lot of people who need this I can't see them making changes that would disadvantage their average user.

One final note. I work with real-time data processing on systems with response deadlines from seconds to microseconds. I wouldn't trust a web server in a situation where seconds would cost me money.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 03:45 PM

One final note. I work with real-time data processing on systems with response deadlines from seconds to microseconds. I wouldn't trust a web server in a situation where seconds would cost me money.

Posted via CB10
    I know, tell me about it. I am "forced" to work that way.

But I do disagree with you on the "leak" statement. Like I said, I can make the browser allocate 400 mb, close all tabs but one, leave it overnight and it still sits at 400. If that isn't a memory leak I don't know what to call it.

I am not trying to make someone change the browser, as I do know how difficult that will be. I just suspect that my OS/browser doesn't perform like others and I am hoping more people will report back. So far 0

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 03:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    If your use appears to overload RAM, and split second browser is so critical, and you claim lost money, seems to me an easy fix is to add a second phone. Split your use between the two - one for those critical sites.

P.S. Not being a smartarse, I added a 2nd phone for a different but also critical business situation. Little extra $ on the monthly bill more than offset by no $$$$$ lost via reaction time issues.

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    09-21-14 03:56 PM
    Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    Tim Heard likes this.
    09-21-14 04:07 PM
    It's a common mistake to think that an app that appears to allocate a lot of memory is somehow faulty. If I have, say, 2Gb ram and there routinely appears to be 1.5Gb free, I'd want to know why the developers and / or OS aren't using the extra 1.5Gb to make things faster and easier for me by caching / preloading.

Now if an app. didn't free allocated memory on demand when required and in a timely way, that could constitute a leak.

In your case, I cant see any reason why 400Mb should be released overnight (or within any particular timescale) if it isn't otherwise overcommitted.

Posted via CB10
    light_barer and Davidro1 like this.
    09-21-14 04:08 PM
    If your use appears to overload RAM, and split second browser is so critical, and you claim lost money, seems to me an easy fix is to add a second phone. Split your use between the two - one for those critical sites.

P.S. Not being a smartarse, I added a 2nd phone for a different but also critical business situation. Little extra $ on the monthly bill more than offset by no $$$$$ lost via reaction time issues.

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    Thanks, already have a second phone. Thinking of adding a third. Went today to see the 3GB RAM LG G3 - the "smart thing" had over 1GB of free memory and still reloaded web pages and apps. I don't get it, why no one can make a true multitasking phone. BB10 is the best we get so far but still isn't perfect. Ah how i miss Maemo
    09-21-14 04:31 PM
    It's not a memory leak, rather a performance trick. You don't have to look to the RAM usage. It's taking care off. And if the reload is an issue, you need a phone with more RAM.

The real question is why your "remember me" is not functioning. Have you check your browser settings ?
    Browser > Settings > Privacy and Security :
    Private Browsing must be Off and Accept Cookies On.
    09-21-14 04:40 PM
    It's not a memory leak, rather a performance trick. You don't have to look to the RAM usage. It's taking care off. And if the reload is an issue, you need a phone with more RAM.
    Well, not exactly. Its definitely a problem the way it works on my current setup. In both cases in the OP, I have only 3 pages open. When I had previously another 5 then closed - it reloads. When I start the browser fresh with those 3 pages loaded - then it doesn't reload (that's with 8 apps open)
    The real question is why your "remember me" is not functioning. Have you check your browser settings ?
    Browser > Settings > Privacy and Security :
    Private Browsing must be Off and Accept Cookies On.
    Yes, I've checked them. It generally works but for those crucial sites I use it doesn't. And only one of them remembers the password fields. The second one it asks me if I want to save it but it never auto fills the log in fields later one. The third one - it doesn't even asks to save the password. Sites work fine under android/Windows.
    09-21-14 04:46 PM
    Well, not exactly. Its definitely a problem the way it works on my current setup. In both cases in the OP, I have only 3 pages open. When I had previously another 5 then closed - it reloads. When I start the browser fresh with those 3 pages loaded - then it doesn't reload (that's with 8 apps open)

Yes, I've checked them. It generally works but for those crucial sites I use it doesn't. And only one of them remembers the password fields. The second one it asks me if I want to save it but it never auto fills the log in fields later one. The third one - it doesn't even asks to save the password. Sites work fine under android/Windows.
    I also experience the not remembering passwords thing on a particular site(it doesn't bug me as is not an important site), you should consider the passport as your third phone or a Jolla phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 04:52 PM
96 123 ...