Was listening to a podcast review of the new phones. The guy said every time the phone boots up, the Hub has to retrieve all of the information again (or at least some parts have to be recalculated). Is that true?
    Does it take a long time?
    02-10-13 06:22 PM
    It does have to "reload" everything.

Takes like 5 seconds for me.
    02-10-13 06:26 PM
    Well, the hub is unavailable for less than 10 seconds after the phone boots up, if that's what he's talking about. It's not a big deal.
    peter9477 and One_Cam like this.
    02-10-13 06:27 PM
    Yes it does, but the better question is why reboot? This isn't an old BB. I haven't rebooted or turned off my phone once since I got it on february 5th. Not one slow down...
    02-10-13 06:37 PM
    Wow...such bad misinformation...

You HAVE to reboot. Today, I lost my "settings" screen for a nice white, unpopulated screen. I have had to reboot more than once ni the past several days as well. There is NO such device in PC/ Apple /Android etc...that does not need to be rebooted on occasion. You're truly fooling yourself if you think otherwise. You would be the only user on the planet who doesn't reboot...and guess what...your device will stop working altogether one day soon...then you can post up and tell us how you had to pop the battery -

By the way, in case you aren't aware (and I'm sure you're not) - some device lockups won't even allow you to use the power button to shut down the phone...don't ask me how I know...
    02-10-13 06:50 PM
    Ya, unfortunately people like you can't keep up with the times. My iPad hasn't been restarted in weeks. My nexus 4 hasn't been restarted in a few days. My Z10 hasn't been restarted since I got it. No issues at all

*I edited out the IMEI and ICC ID

You HAVE to reboot.
    No.
    02-10-13 08:43 PM
    Was listening to a podcast review of the new phones. The guy said every time the phone boots up, the Hub has to retrieve all of the information again (or at least some parts have to be recalculated). Is that true?
    Does it take a long time?
    The guy's blowing smoke. All software has to "reload" any data it uses every time it's launched... basically that's a big "duh!".

What I think he's implying is that the Hub has to retrieve your email from the server again every time you reboot, which would be a completely false statement. The messages are stored locally in a database, and everything is retrieved from that exactly like it would be in any other app.

It's true the Hub is unavailable for the first few seconds after the boot-up completes. That's a pretty minor concern considering how quick the rest of the reboot is now.
    b320 likes this.
    02-10-13 10:00 PM

You HAVE to reboot. Today, I lost my "settings" screen for a nice white, unpopulated screen. I have had to reboot more than once ni the past several days as well. There is NO such device in PC/ Apple /Android etc...that does not need to be rebooted on occasion. You're truly fooling yourself if you think otherwise. You would be the only user on the planet who doesn't reboot...and guess what...your device will stop working altogether one day soon...then you can post up and tell us how you had to pop the battery -

By the way, in case you aren't aware (and I'm sure you're not) - some device lockups won't even allow you to use the power button to shut down the phone...don't ask me how I know...
    You don't have to reboot, I will need to if you run into problems, but once BlackBerry irons out the bug, you could go a very long time with out rebooting. And yes PC/Apple/Android will need to be rebooted a lot more often then BB10. Just look at QNX it runs nuclear power plants that are not aloud to be rebooted, there are also servers that run QNX that has not been restarted once since they were installed 15 years ago, so it is possible that BB10 device could go without being restarted, it just that BB10 is new and there is bugs to work out.
    02-11-13 08:32 AM