I am wondering why so few applications have true Hub integration (dedicated icon, not just the 'Bell').
    I have only ever seen Whatsapp and now iGrann add this. Probably just a handful of applications in over a year.

For example an app like CB10 would be a million times better with PM-from-Hub options/notifications, as would other social type apps like news readers (imagine your favourite feed readable from the Hub).
    An app like ClipMan showing your 'saved' clipboard history, or like Push To BlackBerry, a list of pushed text/links from your Desktop.
    These would all benefit from a dedicated Hub category, and it would drastically improve the 'productivity' of said apps.
    (These are just examples, I love these apps already without it!)

I can think of so many ways every app I use frequently would be better with some form of Hub capability. Is it just too difficult to implement stuff like that? Or is native development truly so dead,the devs simply cannot afford to spend time on it?

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    QtHelex likes this.
    07-18-14 07:10 AM
    it needs special permissions from blackberry, you cant just add yourself to the hub as far as i remember back from when i was developing for bb10
    07-18-14 07:34 AM
    it needs special permissions from blackberry, you cant just add yourself to the hub as far as i remember back from when i was developing for bb10
    Probably also the API Is restricted. Permission is one thing but if you need to contact the BlackBerry for accessing the API, then it is kind of discouraging

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    07-18-14 07:37 AM
    I am wondering why so few applications have true Hub integration (dedicated icon, not just the 'Bell').
    I have only ever seen Whatsapp and now iGrann add this. Probably just a handful of applications in over a year.

For example an app like CB10 would be a million times better with PM-from-Hub options/notifications, as would other social type apps like news readers (imagine your favourite feed readable from the Hub).
    An app like ClipMan showing your 'saved' clipboard history, or like Push To BlackBerry, a list of pushed text/links from your Desktop.
    These would all benefit from a dedicated Hub category, and it would drastically improve the 'productivity' of said apps.
    (These are just examples, I love these apps already without it!)

I can think of so many ways every app I use frequently would be better with some form of Hub capability. Is it just too difficult to implement stuff like that? Or is native development truly so dead,the devs simply cannot afford to spend time on it?

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    iGrann, WhatsApp, Messenger for Facebook, Candid, Blaq, Snap2Chat (it was hub integrated, but removed temporarily due to bugs) all have hub integration.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-14 07:38 AM
    Probably also the API Is restricted. Permission is one thing but if you need to contact the BlackBerry for accessing the API, then it is kind of discouraging

nah i just checked, apis are public, you need to request the permission though:

http://i.imgur.com/YYTTC9b.jpg
    07-18-14 07:40 AM
    CB10 in-app PM would come a long way and I don't see it happening soon. Or notifications on comment replies. Not to say that it would be nice to see them in the HUB.
    07-18-14 08:28 AM
    So you think they actually denied a lot of those requests? I think that would have show up as a complaint thread here already, if that was the case. Thanks for listing the additional Hub apps, it is still a very limited list compared to what the Hub could potentially be used for.

I hope some developers reconsider, and I hope BlackBerry makes it a little easier for good implementations to get allowed!
    07-18-14 09:16 AM
    So you think they actually denied a lot of those requests? I think that would have show up as a complaint thread here already, if that was the case. Thanks for listing the additional Hub apps, it is still a very limited list compared to what the Hub could potentially be used for.

I hope some developers reconsider, and I hope BlackBerry makes it a little easier for good implementations to get allowed!
    It's a complicating process that probably deter developers. You need deep c++ knowledge to integrate this into the apps. Hope BlackBerry would make the hub integration easier by making QML API to access the hub. Most native apps developers use cascade with QML API which is use easier and use less effort.

http://hecgeek.blogspot.com/2014/05/...berry.html?m=1

Sally Mack and MrGlenn like this.
    07-18-14 09:23 AM