Okay so last week in school I was hanging out with a bunch of people. In that group of people, were around 2 who did not use a smartphone and knew nothing about it, one was an Apple fanboy, while two others (or one other - can't remember) were hardcore Android supporters. Now, I always stand up for BlackBerry devices and end up being the person who is laughed at, mocked and called an ***** for doing so, but the thing is, with the release of BB 10, there is actually something that can throw these people off their feet.

While they went on with their ridiculous comments about how BlackBerry devices can't browse the web, have a horrible camera, absolutely useless applications, no games, I told them that first of all, the BlackBerry 7 devices do a much better job of browsing the web and they haven't even seen them. The BB 7 devices have an improved camera, and BlackBerry 10 will have plentiful apps, just wait for it. I told them to just cut the crap, and have a look at the BlackBerry 10 videos.

This is where the problem kicks in. They are all such ignorant little *beep* that they say "It's gonna be crap cause it's a crapberry". It's so annoying, that they don't even look at the BlackBerry SEVEN (7) devices, let alone BB 10, due to their narrow minded tiny things at the top of the head that we sadly refer to as brains.

It started to get real funny. No, it started to get real ridiculous, and more annoying, when those without SMARTPHONES, who knew absolutely nothing about these devices, said "BlackBerrys suck". Now I'm sitting there wondering "How the **** can they even comment when they know nothing". Most people are trying to compare BlackBerry 5 and BlackBerry 6 devices to the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5, as well as the latest devices releasing (Windows Phone 8 etc). That's like comparing an iPhone 3G to an iPhone 5. What the ****?! Okay maybe a little exaggerated but you get the point.

How on earth are RIM going to tackle the issue of ignorant consumers, and then get them to pull out the money to buy a BlackBerry 10 device, while they remain ignorant and REFUSE to look at the new devices because according to their God gifted minds (sarcasm) the devices are "crapberrys".

Sorry about the rant, but it's really annoying. And yes, I live in the UK, this seems to be the case with most people around where I live; they already have their impressions set and it's annoying. :/

Thank you for hearing the rant of a 15 year old ^_^ xD I'm done.
    12-18-12 04:26 AM
    I conpletely agree.... the ignorance is rife... amongst my group of friends also... and I have thought about this as well... and really hope RIM can figure it out loool.....

one thing I do now though is not defend the phone, but the playbook.... cos I tell my friends that the new phone will be based on the qnx operating system, no crashes, the way it multi tasks etc... that seems to help a lil.... but it is hard not having the bb10 phone in my hands yet.... I guess when it does land, even the ignorants might change their mind (as long as they check out what bb10 can do!)
    12-18-12 05:42 AM
    That's what advertising and marketing is for. Once the adverts tell their little minds that the device is good, they'll take a look at it... then they'll try and make it seem they are the first to know anything about it and are ahead of the game.

There are plenty of other things that are more important in this world to a 15 year old, than a smartphone

Oh, and without wanting to sound belittling, most of these guys won't be able to afford a BB10 device when it's released anyway. Just get it and prove them wrong.

Si.
    12-18-12 05:48 AM
    The majority go with whatever way the wind is blowing at that time. I haven't seen anyone wear Reebok pumps in years but people including myself used to wear them despite looking like a berk. When BB10 is out & lots have it, the easiest way to fit in is to agree or go along with the masses.
    12-18-12 05:52 AM
    There are plenty of other things that are more important in this world to a 15 year old, than a smartphone
    No, my BlackBerry device comes before everything else. B) xD

And um, I am definitely gonna pick up a BlackBerry 10 device on launch, plus my birthday is in February so I shouldn't have a problem getting my hands on a BlackBerry 10 device. Definitely gonna opt for the full qwerty one. As for the Playbook, they'll say that it's flopped as it hasn't had many sales. It's quite a nice device and I really wanted to pick up one but after seeing it a few times the huge "border/path" around the 7" display kinda ruined my attraction towards it.

Let's hope RIM get their marketing right. I definitely want to see their faces when they realise that I was right about BlackBerry smartphones all along xD
    12-18-12 05:58 AM
    Interesting conversation. I still can't get anyone with an iPhone 4 or 4s show me why their device is better than my BB 9900. Apps is the only win they have which has made people ignorant of the real reason a smartphone exists....productivity
    12-18-12 07:03 AM
    Interesting conversation. I still can't get anyone with an iPhone 4 or 4s show me why their device is better than my BB 9900. Apps is the only win they have which has made people ignorant of the real reason a smartphone exists....productivity
    I mean you have to be joking right? Let's not talk about ignorant here if we are going to make an statement like this.
    12-18-12 07:48 AM
    Those ignorant people will be the first ones to get a BB10 device once good reviews are in and all their friends starting buying BB10 devices. I have used iPhones, Androids and BBs and I can tell you why my current device is a iPhone 5 but I can also tell you why my next device is going to be an L-Series. My point with that is that they can really talk all the crap they want at the moment, but come BB10 devices the story will be different. So just sit tight JAN 30 its almost here!!!
    T-Raww likes this.
    12-18-12 07:53 AM
    Until BB10 is in hand - it is difficult to win arguments like the OP was involved in. I believe this to be one of RIM's biggest challenges - changing the consumer mindset! RIM needs an *available* product with:

1.) An extensive app ecosystem (more than just business productivity apps, top consumer apps from other platforms, games, etc)

2.) Great Hardware (specs, camera, screen, etc)

I believe these two will ensure RIM survives, though won't necessarily do enough to completely reverse the BB prejudice. If however:

3.) RIM has a huge surprise in store on Jan. 30

... The tables can be turned. If BB10 launches with an amazing feature that no other platform has - one that makes the average consumer want a BB, then there is a chance @ reversing the BB prejudice back @ other smartphones. Not holding my breath on #3 though...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    anon(4185604) and big bb like this.
    12-18-12 08:32 AM
    Until BB10 is in hand - it is difficult to win arguments like the OP was involved in. I believe this to be one of RIM's biggest challenges - changing the consumer mindset! RIM needs an *available* product with:

1.) An extensive app ecosystem (more than just business productivity apps, top consumer apps from other platforms, games, etc)

2.) Great Hardware (specs, camera, screen, etc)

I believe these two will ensure RIM survives, though won't necessarily do enough to completely reverse the BB prejudice. If however:

3.) RIM has a huge surprise in store on Jan. 30

... The tables can be turned. If BB10 launches with an amazing feature that no other platform has - one that makes the average consumer want a BB, then there is a chance @ reversing the BB prejudice back @ other smartphones. Not holding my breath on #3 though...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Definitely agree with this post, in fact I think I ENTIRELY agree with it. RIM need that special thing in their phone. Not just a "better quality" camera. Not just "more apps". I mean that's like a different version of an upgraded iOS or Android device. They need that factor in their phone which will actually make everyone drop their other phones and pick up RIM's devices.

All I can think of is a top of the line web browser that is flawless, which matches pc performance. It should be better than the iPhone's browser by a mile. This will really make it stand out as there are not many devices that have an "amazing" browser.
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    12-18-12 08:59 AM
    There are several threads in here about people staying to be won over by BB10. The one main theme to the seems to be that they start having different thought about what is coming one they see the device in action.

Until the new device hit the market, it is going to be a hard sell to anyone who works with a different device. BB10 has a great web browser, can play Flash videos, has the ability to flip words directly from the keyboard, has a very good camera with face technology that gives a pretty good Wow factor, along with lots of other features. Once you actually have one on your hands, it'll be much easier to answer back with all BB10 can do.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-18-12 09:30 AM
    Just wait till BlackBerry10 is out. One thing that can be done is when you have a device you show them some of the stuff it can do, without letting them know its a BlackBerry, then when they like it get them to flip it over. I did that to a friend that is (was) a iOS fanboys with my Dev Alpha,and now he is going to get a BlackBerry10 when it comes out.
    12-18-12 09:55 AM
    I tried to talk my 18 year old grandson into getting a BB10 and, at some point, started sounding like I was preaching the Gospel. He wanted a new Android no matter what. Some people will never consider a BB and I learned the hard way you will never convert them. I'll just let my BB10 do the talking for me while I sit back and watch. I'd recommend you doing the same thing (and have a towel ready to wipe off your new BB when they start drooling).
    12-18-12 10:28 AM
    I doubt that their current attitudes are based on years of experience and comparison of available options. It's more about either liking what you've got because you don't know any other or getting what is popular. The flipside of getting what is popular is that at some point, the popularity can work against it. When everyone is jumping on the current bandwagon, the trendsetters are looking for something new and that's where BB10 will catch attention, IMO.

And as for the affordability, I don't see it being an issue really. Having a kid in middle school and one in HS, I see more high end phones there than I do at work. They are subsidized prices, not like many people are going to go full pop for a phone, any brand. And when you look at what you might save on a lower-end phone, 50-100 maybe, and break that apart by the 2 years you'll probably have the phone, it's easy to justify the extra hundy...
    12-18-12 12:12 PM
    Okay, for one thing, guys love having a reason to pile on, be it phones, girlfriend's waistline, choice of tires, etc. so your friends' willful ignorance may be as much personal as anything else.

Otherwise... RIM isn't going to go after the hardcore fans of other platforms. They compromised their own credibility so badly throughout 2011 that for many they've become the industry joke. RIM isn't going to convert those users overnight.

Here's the marketing plan as I see it: RIM holds on to its die-hard fans (read: us). Between the users who still actually LIKE BlackBerry, and corporate customers, that will move sales for the first quarter or two. As those users adopt, the phones will get more exposure, and non-BlackBerry people will be exposed to stuff like the slick browser and incredibly cool keyboard, and THAT is what's going to drive sales.

Bear in mind as well: for years BlackBerry was the brand of corporate lawyers, bankers, and other stuffy types. Lots of people hate the brand just based on that perception, and delighted in BlackBerry's rapid decline. They'll be the last ones to be won over.
    12-18-12 12:24 PM
    This is one of the reasons why I have disagreed with RIM on their BB10 browser where RIM acknowledged that they use web technologies to build the "chrome" on the BB10 browser for the sake of showing that they are eating their own dog food and really support their web technologies. This is a cruel blogging world --- your bootup time is slow, big thumbs down. Your icons look stupid, big thumbs down.

I rather have a 100% cascades browser that leave zero performance doubt on the table.
    12-18-12 12:34 PM
    i have people like that. i ask them to take their crapple out off the case and make a call with it. oh dear, signal dropped

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    12-18-12 12:38 PM
    This is one of the reasons why I have disagreed with RIM on their BB10 browser where RIM acknowledged that they use web technologies to build the "chrome" on the BB10 browser for the sake of showing that they are eating their own dog food and really support their web technologies. This is a cruel blogging world --- your bootup time is slow, big thumbs down. Your icons look stupid, big thumbs down.

I rather have a 100% cascades browser that leave zero performance doubt on the table.
    I had my doubts when I heard that the BB10 browser was a WebWorks app, too, but seeing is believing. It works great.
    12-18-12 12:55 PM
    I had my doubts when I heard that the BB10 browser was a WebWorks app, too, but seeing is believing. It works great.
    I am not saying that it's not great --- I am saying that this is a cruel blogging world and RIM shouldn't leave any potential performance issues on the table for the sake of showing that they eat their own dog food. Right now, if the dev alpha is really downclocked to 1 GHz --- then a real full speed 1.5 GHz BB10 phone should have a competitive sunspider score against the iphone (and a lot faster than android phones). But merely tying the iphone is not enough in this cruel world --- RIM needs to beat every performance CPU benchmark (aside from GPU benchmark which Apple having triple/quad GPU will beat BB10 easily) by a mile.
    12-18-12 01:37 PM
    No, my BlackBerry device comes before everything else. B) xD

And um, I am definitely gonna pick up a BlackBerry 10 device on launch, plus my birthday is in February so I shouldn't have a problem getting my hands on a BlackBerry 10 device. Definitely gonna opt for the full qwerty one. As for the Playbook, they'll say that it's flopped as it hasn't had many sales. It's quite a nice device and I really wanted to pick up one but after seeing it a few times the huge "border/path" around the 7" display kinda ruined my attraction towards it.

Let's hope RIM get their marketing right. I definitely want to see their faces when they realise that I was right about BlackBerry smartphones all along xD
    personally i think my playbook is super sexy and love the black bezel just sayin

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 until my kick a$$ BB10 is released ! I'm stickin with RIM til one of us dies.
    12-18-12 03:00 PM
    Ask them to pull out their androids/iphones and see you in the eye and get them to type something.

Then, play a song ask them why their phones are such p***y that they can't even play loud songs. Meanwhile, make sure to ask the Apple fan boy if he has a $30 "plug" up him.

And that's how I shut up anyone who tries to trash talk my Bold.

As far tablets go, I start playing some Metallica, open SHADOWGUN, then open a bunch of apps. Then put the song to full volume and start playing the game. Ask them to the same with their tablet.
    12-18-12 06:17 PM
    Seeing is Believing. Pull up the many demos to show these ignorant people To their face because they Won't do it when you're not around.
    12-18-12 06:38 PM
    Ask them to pull out their androids/iphones and see you in the eye and get them to type something.

Then, play a song ask them why their phones are such p***y that they can't even play loud songs. Meanwhile, make sure to ask the Apple fan boy if he has a $30 "plug" up him.

And that's how I shut up anyone who tries to trash talk my Bold.

As far tablets go, I start playing some Metallica, open SHADOWGUN, then open a bunch of apps. Then put the song to full volume and start playing the game. Ask them to the same with their tablet.
    Haha I totally agree with that one. They can't walk on the road while typing out a dramatic message, and get the same precision and expression. Actually, they can't walk on the road and type a message. Screw that, they can't type without looking. Okay, no, that's still complimenting them, they can barely type with their lovely keyboards, even when they ARE looking xD

So yeah, BlackBerry devices allow the user's eyes to be at any angle to his phone, the user to be at any angle to the ground, and guarantee (well, pretty much) deadly precision in typing.

And that's another reason I love my Berry with all my heart. :3
    12-20-12 02:16 PM
    i hate to say it, but RIM put themselves into this position. The products have that PERCEPTION. Even if you don't agree with it, many people have only used a BB which has been locked by their corporation, which doesn't even give them bbm!

It's RIMs task to change the consumer perception of BlackBerry. Frank Boulben is doing just that. All the publicity and comments about BB10 is a "game changer" help fuel the fire. I believe that's why they've chosen the slogan "Re-designed, Re-engineered, Re-invented"

Not everyone knows what BB10 is capable of. We do, because we are die-hard BB fans. When the rest of the world realizes the power of BB10, all the haters will eat their words!
    12-20-12 02:24 PM