Well it's been a week or so now that I've been trying to update my Z10 to the latest update. As some of you are aware, there is some uncertainty as to how users (like me) who purchased an STL100-2 model would be able to upgrade considering all the carriers in the entire Middle East only support STL100-1. Basically everyone who got an update had an STL100-1 model. Us with the STL100-2 wouldn't get the update. I tried the web method, and the BB Link method and nothing worked. I was starting to get frustrated.

Some suggested inserting a SIM card from a UK provider. I asked a friend today for an expired Vodafone SIM card he had when he lived in London. I hacked it up to fit into the Z10, popped it in and Vodafone splash screen shows up. I check the APN settings and they had Vodafone ones, so I knew I was getting somewhere.

Checked for updates and there it was...10.0.10.90

Now, I know this has been mentioned before on many of the Middle East updates threads but I wasn't able to find a definitive answer, so I decided to create this thread to ensure others that any Vodafone SIM (even expired) works.

NOTE: Once you hack your SIM card, and power up your phone, you must see the Vodafone splash screen. If you don't then you probably didn't cut it properly. This is also evident if you go into Mobile Network settings and it will tell you "SIM card not detected" I actually had to cut a bit of the "metal" conductor things for it work and align properly, but I guess if you order a SIM direct from them, you wouldn't have to go through the hassle of cutting it.

EDIT - 5/11/2013: For those of you who are not interested in waiting for the official release and would like to install the leaked 10.1 OS you can download the files here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...5/#post8455273

Basically you will:

1) Download the compatible OS according to your phone model
    2) Do a full Backup of your phone using BlackBerry Link.
    3) Unzip the downloaded OS to wherever you like
    4) Plug your phone into your computer using the USB cable, and make sure BB Link is NOT running.
    5) Run the .exe file (downloaded/unzipped file) and wait till the process completes.
    6) Optional (once completed) - If you would like to restore your old old information, simply launch BB Link and restore, else you will be starting from a fresh install with nothing on your phone. A restore will bring back all your apps as well if you did a full backup.

All credit goes to Crackberry member "lbfe" for the autoloader files.
    Last edited by Vector-SS; 05-11-13 at 06:38 AM.
    03-08-13 01:40 PM
    I tried to order but was informed i need uk address which i dont have, it is really frustrating..

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 02:03 PM
    I tried to order but was informed i need uk address which i dont have, it is really frustrating..

Posted via CB10
    It's definitely frustrating, I'm just glad I got a working solution and I'm lucky that my friend had a SIM card that he longer uses that I was able to cut and use.

My update is currently underway, I will report once it's finished to see if everything is fine.
    03-08-13 02:07 PM
    I am glad for you! At least now we have an option to work on!! Please let us now the outcome of the update

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 02:12 PM
    UPDATE:

Update took some time but it eventually finished. So far so good now and the phone is running fine. I still cannot select (and keep) LTE as the setting keeps reverting back to HSPA. I had hoped that an update would have resolved that, I guess not. What I found interesting however is that my 4G LTE device showed this screen when I had the Vodafone sim card in it:

Aside from the fact that my phone is the STL100-2, it showed STL100-1 network connectivity options. When I inserted back my local SIM, everything was fine and my phone showed the typical STL100-2 settings. Also note the carrier "Zain" at the bottom, who is NOT my carrier. I guess they allow for SOS calls?

I will keep this thread updated if i notice any issues with this OS version.
    03-08-13 03:26 PM
    Well,
    I managed to have a vodafone uk sim, updating while typing now.
    What I know from Etisalat UAE sources that the LTE will be activated once TRA approves it through a patch.

I will provide my findings about the update tomorrow
    03-08-13 04:12 PM
    For those in the UAE and can reach me in Fujierah I am ready to share the SIM , update takes around 35 minutes.
    03-08-13 04:23 PM
    Well,
    I managed to have a vodafone uk sim, updating while typing now.
    What I know from Etisalat UAE sources that the LTE will be activated once TRA approves it through a patch.

I will provide my findings about the update tomorrow
    Well, I really hope this is sooner rather than later as I would like to enjoy LTE before my phone becomes old. There is no news whatsoever here (KSA) regarding LTE activation. Hopefully this will change with the introduction of the Q10, but I don't have my hopes up.
    03-09-13 12:29 AM
    I use Singapore sim.card in indonesia to get the update, it works. So you can use simcard from other carriers to initiate the update.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 12:40 AM
    Whats the average download speed you get in Dubai or ME on Z10?
    03-09-13 12:49 AM
    It really depends.

My phone (depsite supporting LTE) won't get LTE due to some block either from BB or the carriers. I do however get H, and I get speeds around 1-2Mbps, which is very bad, but I guess the Z10 browser makes up for that.

My friend with his iPhone 5 gets around 14Mbps on LTE. Those are all in Saudi Arabia. I have a friend in Dubai that has an iPhone 5 on LTE and has gotten upwards of 50Mbps.
    03-09-13 02:13 AM
    It really depends.

My phone (depsite supporting LTE) won't get LTE due to some block either from BB or the carriers. I do however get H, and I get speeds around 1-2Mbps, which is very bad, but I guess the Z10 browser makes up for that.

My friend with his iPhone 5 gets around 14Mbps on LTE. Those are all in Saudi Arabia. I have a friend in Dubai that has an iPhone 5 on LTE and has gotten upwards of 50Mbps.
    Happy for you guys for getting the update sorted out i am still looking for solution to get this update.. i am too getting the H or G connection, it won't allow me to keep 4G option, my iphone had the LTE sign so i guess it is not the carrier as both my phones with same carrier

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 03:00 AM
    UK user here I used this method as I have unlocked phone. Free Vodafone sim did the trick . I was running out about 6pm now at 12pm I still have about 10%
    This is fine for me and I am Sure it will get even better over time

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 03:31 AM
    2 Mbits max. Restriction for unlimited package
    03-09-13 04:10 AM
    Happy for you guys for getting the update sorted out i am still looking for solution to get this update.. i am too getting the H or G connection, it won't allow me to keep 4G option, my iphone had the LTE sign so i guess it is not the carrier as both my phones with same carrier

Posted via CB10
    You're probably right. It's probably BlackBerry that still does not support the Middle East networks and it will probably be a matter of time before they do. I feel this is a similar case to the iPhone 5, it was only when Apple released the 6.1 update which supported different carriers that the "Enable LTE" options showed up here in this region. Seems BlackBerry's way of not allowing it is to simply make it revert back to other connectivity methods instead of hiding the LTE option.

UK user here I used this method as I have unlocked phone. Free Vodafone sim did the trick . I was running out about 6pm now at 12pm I still have about 10%
    This is fine for me and I am Sure it will get even better over time

Posted via CB10
    I'm currently going on 6 hours and my battery is at 50% with low usage, almost identical prior to the update. Hopefully it will get better in the next few days.
    03-09-13 04:11 AM
    In my Samsung Galaxy Note II LTE, in UAE I got 94

=Vector-SS;8094217]It really depends.

Last edited by mhg2000; 03-10-13 at 03:20 PM.
    03-09-13 04:11 AM
    Stupid question : how do you measure the speed?? I cant see it when downloading!!

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 05:54 AM
    Stupid question : how do you measure the speed?? I cant see it when downloading!!

Posted via CB10
    Speedtest.net

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 06:47 AM
    Speedtest.net

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, my z10 speed was 2.30 mb

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 09:17 AM
    I ordered 3 sim cards from the UK on the way here. For us stl-2 users, this is the only way to update our phones unless the carriers release the LTE version here.

I'm already on 10.0.10.90 and still no 4G for me. Infact the 4G option has disappeared all together in the mobile settings options, could be a vodafone thing since they haven't rolled out 4G yet in the UK.

My network is Etisalat

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 05:56 PM
    I ordered 3 sim cards from the UK on the way here. For us stl-2 users, this is the only way to update our phones unless the carriers release the LTE version here.

I'm already on 10.0.10.90 and still no 4G for me. Infact the 4G option has disappeared all together in the mobile settings options, could be a vodafone thing since they haven't rolled out 4G yet in the UK.

My network is Etisalat

Posted via CB10
    My LTE options still exists after the update. It was only when I still had the Vodafone SIM card in my phone that my LTE option disappeared (see abovephoto). I'm now almost 100% certain this whole LTE issue is a BlackBerry issue and not a carrier issue.
    03-09-13 11:25 PM
    My LTE options still exists after the update. It was only when I still had the Vodafone SIM card in my phone that my LTE option disappeared (see abovephoto). I'm now almost 100% certain this whole LTE issue is a BlackBerry issue and not a carrier issue.
    Makes Sense, the 10.0.10.90 update is universal so blackberry must have disabled 4G option all together in the firmware when you pop in a Middle East sim card. Well the only way that will ever open up again is if our carriers released the 4G model. Bummer!
    03-10-13 07:56 AM
    Got my Z10 (STL100-1) a few days ago in Morocco. Got it from abroad as Maroc Telecom will not have the Z10 for another couple of months at least...plus they are very slow pushing BBOS updates....let alone 4G network.
    Anyway, i really want/need to update the OS on my phone. My sister, who is living in Singapore, is coming in a couple of weeks. You guys think i could update my phone OS using her SIM card?
    03-10-13 10:20 AM
    Please help in updating BlackBerry Z10 STL100-2 model
    I am in Dubai
    I do not have SIM Vodafone UK
    03-10-13 02:48 PM
    Please help in updating BlackBerry Z10 STL100-2 model
    I am in Dubai
    I do not have SIM Vodafone UK
    PM - I will be in Dubai tomorrow
    03-10-13 03:21 PM
104 123 ...