Tons of ppl use Gmail. On top of that tons of places have authentication using Gmail (login with ur Gmail account on a different website like crackberry even lol And cydia)

I can definitely see ppl getting fed up and going to their old phone or just going to an android phone cuz "It's google Os phone and will for sure Work" according to the sales men

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 05:56 PM
    Got impatient, and deleted my Gmail email, contacts and calendar off the Z10. Then tried to re-install. Email and contacts came across again no problem. Calendar didn't. Got the "blah blah blah, try again soon" error message.
    Oh no! That's where I was last week - I'm not used to 'leaving' a problem and I couldn't keep from playing in the settings trying to get it to work.
    When I kept my hands off it did finally work. I was able to get 2 way sync.
    Hope it works for you too!
    02-21-13 06:24 PM
    I'm confused about this CalDAV. I can't find it anywhere on my Z10. There is no mention of it when setting up the acount. If I go to settings then accounts I see I have three Gmail accounts - contacts, email and Calendar. Is this what I should have?
    02-21-13 06:54 PM
    Got impatient, and deleted my Gmail email, contacts and calendar off the Z10. Then tried to re-install. Email and contacts came across again no problem. Calendar didn't. Got the "blah blah blah, try again soon" error message.
    I'm getting to that point right now too. Getting the itch to do something, but trying not to panic. It's going on close to 48 hours now and still have not seen any two-way sync. I even had another Google Calendar from before that I loaded when i first got the device about 8 days ago, but it too is not two way syncing. I can only read my entries, which totally sucks.

What I'm curious to know is what exactly is meant by "Leave it alone". Does that mean don't open the calendar, don't view entries, don't do anything with the calendar app at all like create an entry on the local calendar or just don't delete the CalDav setup I just did. Also, does it matter that my Gmail has been setup as the email account for the "Meeting Invitation Settings" or should I have not done anything there either. Can only say how extremely frustrating this is to get to work.
    02-21-13 08:06 PM
    Oh no!! Now you have to wait another 24 hours before you can add it again and start the process all over again..

Posted via CB10
    kevinnugent likes this.
    02-21-13 08:20 PM
    I'm confused about this CalDAV. I can't find it anywhere on my Z10. There is no mention of it when setting up the acount. If I go to settings then accounts I see I have three Gmail accounts - contacts, email and Calendar. Is this what I should have?
    The one you call contacts is the CarDAV.. you should be good.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 08:21 PM
    I'm getting to that point right now too. Getting the itch to do something, but trying not to panic. It's going on close to 48 hours now and still have not seen any two-way sync. I even had another Google Calendar from before that I loaded when i first got the device about 8 days ago, but it too is not two way syncing. I can only read my entries, which totally sucks.

What I'm curious to know is what exactly is meant by "Leave it alone". Does that mean don't open the calendar, don't view entries, don't do anything with the calendar app at all like create an entry on the local calendar or just don't delete the CalDav setup I just did. Also, does it matter that my Gmail has been setup as the email account for the "Meeting Invitation Settings" or should I have not done anything there either. Can only say how extremely frustrating this is to get to work.
    Use it to your hearts content.. just stay out of the setup screen for that account.. don't delete it.. don't try and change any settings and re save it.. don't change the sync interval etc.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 08:23 PM
    Use it to your hearts content.. just stay out of the setup screen for that account.. don't delete it.. don't try and change any settings and re save it.. don't change the sync interval etc.

Posted via CB10
    Luc, that's all good and well but I was up to over 68 hours without touching it and still couldn't get 2 way sync. I've deleted all three of the Gmail entities now - Calendar, Contacts and Email and will wait 24 hours to re-do the lot. I was thinking that after waiting for 68 hours and still not seeing the 2 way sync, I may have mucked it up by doing them individually and not all in one go. Anyway, see you in 22 hours.
    02-21-13 08:57 PM
    Yeeeep. How many Z10 owners do you honestly think will see this thread?

And even if all of them do, why should these steps even be necessary? Little things like this are the kind of issues that are the last straw that force people to return their phones for something that is "easier to use". The onus is on BB to communicate with their user base before they get the brunt of the complaints.
    This is no "little thing". This is huge. For a lot of people this will be the first and only straw, not the last. I guess BB should try to get out in front of it before the US launch, but I honestly don't know what they can say. Its just going to be unacceptable to a lot of people, and I don't see what BB can do about it. They're at Google's mercy.
    02-21-13 09:11 PM
    http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

Seems it's on the Knowledge Base now....
    02-21-13 11:08 PM
    I got my Z10 on a Saturday and it took until the Monday to figure out u needed to generate an application specific password for Gmail as I use 2-step verification - while BlackBerry Help on Twitter were good, they never asked about 2-step.
    Thanks to Google, I found the answer on BlackBerry's Knowledge Base.
    A leaflet in the box detailing this would have helped.

This isn't a complaint, just pointing out that I understand the frustrations of people new to BB10 - especially seasoned BlackBerry users.
    Many of the Gmail woes are down to Google not adopting or abandoning industry standards - unless for paid customers (even then it's pot luck).

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 01:41 AM
    I got my Z10 on a Saturday and it took until the Monday to figure out I needed to generate an application specific password for Gmail as I use 2-step verification - while BlackBerry Help on Twitter were good, they never asked about 2-step.
    Thanks to Google, I found the answer on BlackBerry's Knowledge Base.
    A leaflet in the box detailing this would have helped.

This isn't a complaint, just pointing out that I understand the frustrations of people new to BB10 - especially seasoned BlackBerry users.
    Many of the Gmail woes are down to Google not adopting or abandoning industry standards - unless for paid customers (even then it's pot luck).

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 01:42 AM
    This is no "little thing". This is huge. For a lot of people this will be the first and only straw, not the last. I guess BB should try to get out in front of it before the US launch, but I honestly don't know what they can say. Its just going to be unacceptable to a lot of people, and I don't see what BB can do about it. They're at Google's mercy.
    Ultimately, we're all at Google's mercy.

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo likes this.
    02-22-13 01:44 AM
    No resolution time frame.

I removed my calendars, waited more than 24h, added them again, and still have only one way sync. Hopefully after another 24?

Not optimistic as this is going about the same as the first time I added them.

Maybe I should just give my iCloud calendar a shot. (Can't without first deleting the Gmail one - Z10 doesn't like that the user names are the same.)

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 01:46 AM
    I've been waiting for 2-way sync to magically appear for several days now...easily 96 hours....still no calendars other than the 'local calendar' are available for inputting an entry on the phone. Caldav was set up and we see our google calendar events on the phone, but we just can't input to google calendars from the phone. Still waiting...no longer hopeful... This is really crappy...
    02-22-13 02:29 AM
    Wow. You weren't kidding when you said that you have to wait and not touch the settings. It was nearly 8 days later and one of my Google calendars finally showed up in the calendar entries. Now I just need to wait another week until the next one shows up. Horrible start out of the gate BBRY

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 07:22 AM
    Wow. You weren't kidding when you said that you have to wait and not touch the settings. It was nearly 8 days later and one of my Google calendars finally showed up in the calendar entries. Now I just need to wait another week until the next one shows up. Horrible start out of the gate BBRY
    Everything in this thread points to the source of the problem being Google, not BB. Since most people will never know that, or care, it's still absolutely true that this makes a horrible start out of the gate for BB10. I don't know if this is artful negligence or just plain old negligence on Google's part, but I suspect the former. I wonder if this constitutes an unfair trade practice?? Google can, of course, refuse to provide their services to BB devices at all, but if they do provide those services in good faith, don't they have a responsibility to maintain them at industry standards? An 8-day, or even a 2-day, activation delay falls far short of that.
    02-22-13 07:43 AM
    ^^ Agree that it's not BBRY that is to blame in this case, but still frustrating.

Well that was short lived. The calendar that once was two way sync enabled has suddenly disappeared. Is that even possible?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 08:25 AM
    @Just_luc

Your screen capture shows a Google apps account. Do we have anyone who has 2 way sync with a free gmail address?? How about extra "my calendars" or extra "shared calendars" using sync select? I read the thread and these issues haven't been clear to me.

I'm getting pretty frustrated, over a week of screwing with this and over 3 days of waiting since I've followed the instructions. Google is pissing me off. Between this and active sync, their philosophy is changing. They're not the google they used to be. I think there should be another thread just recommending people to swtich to hotmail calendar... I love my Z10, but I'm not going to switch devices because I'm not having google calendar. Export calendar from gmail ---> import to hotmail.
    02-22-13 09:19 AM
    I have 2-way calendar sync with 2 free Gmail accounts (calDEV). Added entries and changed entries update online in less than 5 seconds. Online changes update on the phone whenever it checks. I have it set for 15 minutes, but if you pull down the top menu and tap "Refresh" you can update it immediately anytime.

I don't have more than one calendar on each account so I haven't tried that but I think I read somewhere that you can only sync the first one.
    just_luc and Natedogg14 like this.
    02-22-13 11:16 AM
    copying and pasting my post from another thread on this topic... this one needs to be made sticky so there aren't a **** load of google calendar threads all over the place ??

I re did the caldav thing with Google around 9pm the day before yesterday. Today right now it is just before 1030am. Now when I go add event it allows me to choose the Gmail calendar. I have yet to Confirm if it is two way sync by going on a computer but I just made a test event to check later for tmr.

This means Google is not playing nice and has implemented some sort of delay where caldav add requests are not instant and occur at some specific time during the day. Hence the 48 hour rule to allow this to happen.

//edit
    Ok I was just able to create that test event using Gmail calendar in the drop down and now wanted to make another one and all I see is local calendar again now WTF Google **** this I'm fed up and also going to outlook I think soon. Google extended active sync dead line to July this year for Windows Phone 8 but the rest got cut off. I hope Microsoft doesn't give us the shaft too at some point lol

UPDATE
    that ONE event i was able to create did indeed sync from my phone to my google calendar (just looked online)
    BUT after creating that single event i am again unable to create another one the only calendar that shows up is "local calendar"
    FUUUUUUUUUUUU

on the upside (regarding outlook)
    adding calendars is pretty much instant and same with events
    also reading that ppl are able to sync multiple calendars with ease
    the masses won't know about this BS issue with google and will incorrectly blame BlackBerry (since there seems to be a ton of ppl on crackberry blaming BlackBerry for this already!)
    BlackBerry really reallly needs to make this issue known to users so they direct the bad PR to Google and NOT to BlackBerry..

//end rant
    02-22-13 12:37 PM
    @Just_luc

Your screen capture shows a Google apps account. Do we have anyone who has 2 way sync with a free gmail address?? How about extra "my calendars" or extra "shared calendars" using sync select? I read the thread and these issues haven't been clear to me.
    my screen shots are of my device, which uses google apps, and thus active sync, I apologize for that but they are just for illustration.. my testing was done with my wife's device, and she just has a plain old @gmail.com address.. it definitely is working properly for her, and 99% of others who have gone about it exactly as I detailed it in post one have achieved success as well, though some have said the last step took closer to 72 hours. For those who still haven't gotten it working.. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you other then wait longer or try again from the beginning.. it's not ideal, but it's all we've got.

I don't have any information on shared calendars or sync select at this point.
    02-22-13 01:04 PM
    I have 2-way sync with a free Gmail account and I'm using EAS.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 01:17 PM
    I have 2-way sync with a free Gmail account and I'm using EAS.

Posted via CB10
    which you set up when?
    from what ive read, seems that google was a bit slow in turning off Exchange active sync and ppl were able to do it up until Feb 5 or 6 or so (cut off was supposed to be Jan 31 i believe)
    or some ppl got it disable earlier than others

I have EAS setup on my iPhone right now and i am wondering if this same BS will happen if i delete it and try to add it again (since any new setup of it wont work anymore from what i understand, but current devices with it already setup will continue to work with EAS until it needs to be setup again?)
    02-22-13 01:43 PM
    Thanks again to just_luc for his clear instructions and patience in trying to help out so many people!

I think the 24hr wait time between setup attempts on the Google side is incredibly annoying.

But once the account has been setup on the device, the wait for it to show up on the list of calendars to use for new events must be partly BBRY's fault, right? Here's a finding I reported in another thread: while waiting for it to show up in the list, if your account is set as the Default calendar (under device Settings/Accounts) try creating an appointment using Voice Control. I found that the entry is getting added to my calendar just fine -- on both the device and in the cloud! I was still unable to edit it afterwards on the device, though. Eventually once I gave it a couple of days for whatever behind-the-scenes action occurs, I was able to add/edit entries for this calendar on the device.

So weird.
    just_luc likes this.
    02-22-13 01:48 PM
174 ... 23456 ...