EDIT: It seems with the latest software update in place the gmail calendar issues have been resolved thus rendering this thread more or less obsolete.

It seems there's still a lot of miss-information out there about just how to setup your gmail calendar in BB10..

Some are still suggesting active sync, which is just bad advice at this point.. it seems Google took their time flipping the switch after January 30th, so those who setup their z10's in the first week of February got lucky.. but anybody trying to do so at this point will get nothing but a 403 error..

Others aren't sure of the process to setup CalDAV, or they are getting it added but end up causing themselves problems by removing it when they don't see immediate results or two way sync..

I posted this information up in reply to another thread a few days ago, and several users suggested it be a sticky , as they had been finding conflicting information and had trouble drilling down to the correct steps... so here it is.. what i'll call the be all and end all.

First of all, as I said above.. if you are using a free Gmail account and don't have active sync configured by now.. that dream is dead. Have a cry, write a song about it, eat a tub of ice cream if that's what it takes for you to get over the loss, but if anyone tells you to try that method of setting up your BB10 device, kindly ask them to stop spouting non-sense. Active sync is no longer a supported method for free gmail accounts. Contrary to rumors there is no reprieve until July.. unless you are for some reason reading this from your windows 8 device, and it doesn't matter if your playbook or other device is already connected to your account via active sync.. it's on a per device basis.. NO NEW DEVICES.

Now.. on to CalDAV..

If you haven't yet added your Gmail account to your BB10 device, simply using the default setup will do the trick.. from the settings menu or from the hub.. select accounts.. add account.. email, calendar and contacts.. type in your email address youraccountATgmailDOTcom.. click next..enter your password.. click next.. leave all 3 services selected.. click next..you will then see 3 separate entries called Gmail.. one IMAP, one CarDAV and one CalDAV.

You are done! DO NOT PANIC if you don't see your gmail calendar right away.. it can take 24 hours or even more for the initial sync to happen and for appointments to populate your calendar, but it will usually happen within a few minutes.. at this point, once your appointments do start to sync you will notice you aren't able to choose your Gmail calendar as your default or add new entry's to it. DO NOT PANIC! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DELETE THE CALENDAR! Doing so will cause you significant delays and require you to start the whole process over again! It can take an additional 24 to 48 hours for whatever reason before the two way sync protocols are downloaded, but they will come through if you LEAVE IT ALONE! After 24 hours test your calendar by creating a new appointment, if you can select the Gmail calendar you can then go into the accounts menu and set it as the default for future entry's!

IF for any reason you have already deleted the CalDAV entry.. you must now WAIT AT LEAST 24 HOURS before trying to re-add the calendar.. this is a known issue with Gmail with no ETA for resolution if at all.. any attempt to re-add your Gmail calendar will fail authentication and reset the clock for an additional 24 hours.

After waiting a FULL 24 HOURS.. go to settings.. accounts..add account... advanced...CalDAV.. then enter the following information:

Description anything you want.. most just use Gmail
    Username youraccountATgmailDOTcom
    Email youraccountATgmailDOTcom
    Password yourgmailpassword
    Server https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/...lDOTcom/events <----- that's the proper address.. but it seems you can also just use wwwDOTgoogleDOTcom and it works..

Click Done, and you are done! DO NOT PANIC if you don't see your gmail calendar right away.. it can take 24 hours or even more for the initial sync to happen and for appointments to populate your calendar, but it will usually happen within a few minutes.. at this point, once your appointments do start to sync you will notice you aren't able to choose your Gmail calendar as your default or add new entry's to it. DO NOT PANIC! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DELETE THE CALENDAR! Doing so will cause you significant delays and require you to start the whole process over again! It can take an additional 24 to 48 hours for whatever reason before the two way sync protocols are downloaded, but they will come through if you LEAVE IT ALONE! After 24 hours test your calendar by creating a new appointment, if you can select the Gmail calendar you can then go into the accounts menu and set it as the default for future entry's!

If this post has been informative for you please click thanks!
    Last edited by just_luc; 03-01-13 at 08:52 PM.
    02-19-13 09:32 AM
    Can you confirm that once you are set up using caldev and wait 48 hours that you are able to send calendar invites or is that still an issue?
    02-19-13 09:45 AM
    Can you confirm that once you are set up using caldev and wait 48 hours that you are able to send calendar invites or is that still an issue?
    That I'm not sure, I'll test it later tonight with my wifes Z10, but i'm going to say I doubt it. For myself I use google apps for business which is setup using active sync, and on that I can't invite attendees, so it seems like that's just not a feature supported by gmail at this time, but I'll confirm and I'll update post 1 if there's new information.
    02-19-13 10:00 AM
    Thanks for posting such clear instructions.

However, it seems like you had a cut and paste error since a lot of the text in your post is unnecessarily duplicated.

Still, a really good run thru for those of us unfamiliar with Gmail syncing, such as me. I would probably have deleted the calendar if it was working after a few minutes. I think most of us smartphone owners can be quite impatient, expecting everything to work instantly.

I would press "Thanks" but the CB10 app doesn't seem to allow it???!!!

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 10:14 AM
    I clicked "Thanks" for you. And for me. I don't have a Z10 yet but I'll keep these instructions handy. Similar posts exist elsewhere, but they don't stress the importance of waiting for things to get working. As you say, we expect things to work instantly, and often we then delete and try again. In this case we could be pushing our goal away from us by doing so.
    02-19-13 10:18 AM
    thanks for helping us.

it was really bugging me that it didn't work.... and activesync couldn't add invites!

glad that it DOES work. I'll report back in 24hrs!
    02-19-13 10:26 AM
    Many thanks just_luc!! Great Post, please make a sticky!!!
    just_luc likes this.
    02-19-13 10:27 AM
    A quick question. Suppose we opt for the $5/month Google Apps account. In that case, does all of this become irrelevant, or just the Gmail part of it?
    02-19-13 10:27 AM
    Thanks for posting such clear instructions.

However, it seems like you had a cut and paste error since a lot of the text in your post is unnecessarily duplicated.

Posted via CB10
    Actually the part of the waiting was intentionally duplicated, as it applies to both ways of adding the account, and I wanted to ensure that was 100% clear!

Also, the CB10 app does allow you to click like or thanks, just long press the post and click the thumbs up or the heart from the side menu!

A quick question. Suppose we opt for the $5/month Google Apps account. In that case, does all of this become irrelevant, or just the Gmail part of it?
    Yes. If you opt to spend the 5 dollars per month for google apps (and also buy a domain name) THEN and ONLY THEN will you regain the ability to use active sync, in which case you will choose active sync from the advanced menu, and setup with m.google.com as the server.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    02-19-13 10:46 AM
    You will be able as long as the same Gmail account for the calendar is setup as imap email.

For example you must have johndoe @ Gmail. com as an email account and as calendar account.

You can go to the calendar settings and under meetings and invitation settings you should be able to set this up.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 10:59 AM
    I received a msg after adding the Gmail account saying the contacts and calendar could not be added at this time. Something about the googled servers not available. And try again later. Should I just wait? The Gmail account and email were added fine but that's it is it because my Gmail and calendar name are different addresses? I've tried to change the calendar name but do not see where to do this
    02-19-13 11:24 AM
    If we set it up this way, does the CalDAV pull in multiple calendars? Or does each calendar need to be added separately?
    02-19-13 11:30 AM
    Thanks but i am still gonna use activesync on my gapps account
    02-19-13 11:48 AM
    I received a msg after adding the Gmail account saying the contacts and calendar could not be added at this time. Something about the googled servers not available. And try again later. Should I just wait? The Gmail account and email were added fine but that's it is it because my Gmail and calendar name are different addresses? I've tried to change the calendar name but do not see where to do this
    Had you already tried to add the accounts at any point in the last 24 hours?

If we set it up this way, does the CalDAV pull in multiple calendars? Or does each calendar need to be added separately?
    Syncing multiple calendars using CalDAV is still in testing. I will edit post 1 if we come up with a 100% solution.

Thanks but i am still gonna use activesync on my gapps account
    As you should. This thread is directed to those with free gmail accounts as they do not have access to active sync. For google apps accounts active sync is still the preference, and is a supported method.
    02-19-13 12:02 PM
    No. I did add Gmail and delete it about 4 days ago though. I'm going that because my calendar is set up with a different email name from my Gmail account this may the issue? I'm going to to log in on my pc and see about changing the name so it reflects my Gmail email address
    02-19-13 12:09 PM
    No. I did add Gmail and delete it about 4 days ago though. I'm going that because my calendar is set up with a different email name from my Gmail account this may the issue? I'm going to to log in on my pc and see about changing the name so it reflects my Gmail email address
    Your situation may be unique, I'm not sure I completely understand what you are saying but we can chat about it offline if you need help with it. For the purposes of this thread though, the above instructions work 100% for gmail users with a standard setup.
    02-19-13 12:18 PM
    Please excuse my confusion here, everyone has been talking about moving their Gmail account and calendar over to their Z10. So my first question is what if you don't have a google calendar? Or is that what is on my 9900? I've wondered why my BlackBerry calendar has an old Gmail address as default - which I never use and for some reason cannot change. Consequently I have most of my calendar notations under my email address I've always used and a few odd things under the Gmail address. So my big question is: Do you have to have a Gmail account for your calendar on the Z10 ?
    02-19-13 12:53 PM
    Just_luc I tried caldev set up again and it worked! I can see my Google calendar events on My Z10! Thank you for your help
    I am not able to choose or see my Gmail calendar get as an option but as posted above I will wait for it to come through. How do I set up contacts?
    02-19-13 01:02 PM
    Please excuse my confusion here, everyone has been talking about moving their Gmail account and calendar over to their Z10. So my first question is what if you don't have a google calendar? Or is that what is on my 9900? I've wondered why my BlackBerry calendar has an old Gmail address as default - which I never use and for some reason cannot change. Consequently I have most of my calendar notations under my email address I've always used and a few odd things under the Gmail address. So my big question is: Do you have to have a Gmail account for your calendar on the Z10 ?
    No, there is no requirement to have a google calendar.. people just like them.. it keeps your calendar synced across your phone, your tablet, online.. etc etc.. nice to be able to access your info from anywhere. But if you are happy with the local calendar then continue about your merry way.

Just_luc I tried caldev set up again and it worked! I can see my Google calendar events on My Z10! Thank you for your help
    I am not able to choose or see my Gmail calendar get as an option but as posted above I will wait for it to come through. How do I set up contacts?
    For contacts follow the same steps but choose CarDAV instead of CalDAV from the advanced menu. I believe the server address is just wwwDOTgoogleDOTcom .
    02-19-13 01:14 PM
    15 thanks on post 1 so far.. what do we say Mod (s)? Are we sticky worthy?
    02-19-13 01:16 PM
    I can see all my Google events but it won't let me create a new event from my Z10 and tie it to my Google calendar. Is that normal?

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-19-13 01:20 PM
    Anyone with an ActiveSync setup figure out how to invite participants? I can do it for the local calendar but not my Gmail calendar. But syncing isn't an issue, so I guess I have that...
    02-19-13 01:44 PM
    I can see all my Google events but it won't let me create a new event from my Z10 and tie it to my Google calendar. Is that normal?

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Please re-read post 1...
    at this point, once your appointments do start to sync you will notice you aren't able to choose your Gmail calendar as your default or add new entry's to it. DO NOT PANIC! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DELETE THE CALENDAR! Doing so will cause you significant delays and require you to start the whole process over again! It can take an additional 24 to 48 hours for whatever reason before the two way sync protocols are downloaded, but they will come through if you LEAVE IT ALONE! After 24 hours test your calendar by creating a new appointment, if you can select the Gmail calendar you can then go into the accounts menu and set it as the default for future entry's!
    02-19-13 01:49 PM
    Anyone with an ActiveSync setup figure out how to invite participants? I can do it for the local calendar but not my Gmail calendar. But syncing isn't an issue, so I guess I have that...
    This thread is about setting your the gmail calendar properly via CalDAV.. lets try not to get derailed on active sync discussion.. BUT to my knowledge it's not possible to invite attendees to events on a gmail calendar via active sync at this time.
    02-19-13 01:51 PM
    I am also having the same problem. Calendars are synced, yet new events created on my device are not updating to my gmail calendar. My calendar has been up and running for about 4 days now. Please help!
    02-19-13 01:54 PM
174 123 ...