One key feature that sets my BB Bolds apart from all others is the ability to speed dial from any screen/app just be pressing and holding a key. Will full-screen BB10 be able to retain this functionality somehow? Perhaps a gesture bringing up a shortcut menu?
    06-15-12 10:20 AM
    Not sure how it works now, but as I recall from the Storm days. You could open the keyboard from anywhere then do your speed dial thing.

I don't see any reason why they would change this. Would probably be even easier now with the way you swipe from the corner on the PlayBook to show the keyboard.
    06-15-12 10:45 AM
    I use speed dial all the time, but mine only works from Home Screen, Messages, and Phone. I wish it worked from any and every screen, but it doesn't work from Browser or Organizer.
    06-15-12 10:55 AM
    Tonis - pretty sure that's a settings option.

"Dialing From Homescreen" only or such, that allows other screens to use keyboard for shortcuts, right?
    06-15-12 11:02 AM
    Tonis - pretty sure that's a settings option.

"Dialing From Homescreen" only or such, that allows other screens to use keyboard for shortcuts, right?
    I don't think so. Other screens have their own shortcuts. For example, Browser and Organizer's components all have their own shortcuts that work even if Universal Search (or Dial from Home Screen) is enabled. But pressing and holding a key to speed dial a contact only works from Home Screen, Messages, and Phone (AFAIK).
    06-15-12 11:05 AM
    Maybe in an older OS? Just looked around my OS 6 Torch and couldn't find it, used search and no joy.

Or maybe there was an option to "TURN ON" speed dial from all screens?? Seems I remember something along one of the two lines from my favorite BB to date, the mighty BOLD 9000 (if it could be OS7.1, combo KB/touchscreen, display, ala 9900 - but old battery).
    06-15-12 11:11 AM
    Maybe in an older OS? Just looked around my OS 6 Torch and couldn't find it, used search and no joy.

Or maybe there was an option to "TURN ON" speed dial from all screens?? Seems I remember something along one of the two lines from my favorite BB to date, the mighty BOLD 9000 (if it could be OS7.1, combo KB/touchscreen, display, ala 9900 - but old battery).
    Couldn't find what?

EDIT:

Ah, I see now what you wrote: "TURN ON" speed dial from all screens." I've never seen that, but it would be cool. But I think that anyway it should be standard, because pressing and holding a key wouldn't interfere with any screen's normal functions.
    Last edited by T�nis; 06-15-12 at 11:19 AM.
    06-15-12 11:16 AM
    Couldn't find the first options/settings I mentioned. Just seems at some point in past I've tweaked some setting somewhere for speed dialing or shortcuts or something along those lines. Maybe way back in the early Curve days?
    06-15-12 11:19 AM
    Couldn't find the first options/settings I mentioned. Just seems at some point in past I've tweaked some setting somewhere for speed dialing or shortcuts or something along those lines. Maybe way back in the early Curve days?
    Yes, thanks. I edited my post. At first I didn't see where you had written that.
    06-15-12 11:21 AM
    Maybe on BB10 we'd be able to add "direct dial" contacts on our home screen? I have a couple set up on my Android screen.
    06-15-12 05:14 PM
    I didn't know you could Speed Dial through Messages. How does that work with the 9900?
    06-23-12 10:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD