Hey everyone - I wanted to ask what the best way is to set up contact syncing. It should be easy but I was really disappointed when I backed up my Q10 yesterday, wiped it and 'restored' it to discover that the BlackBerry Link software doesn't back up your contacts. As a result I have lost all my phone numbers - very, very disappointing.

I remember as far back at my 9700 that BlackBerry Protect would even store a copy of your contacts. How stupid that BB10 can't do this.

So what's the best way for me to prevent this happening again? I have switched on 'Contact sync' with my Gmail account (in fact, this WAS switched on before I wiped my handset, but evidently my BlackBerry never sent any of my contacts over to my Gmail account). Since I switched it on again on my wiped Q10, it has downloaded 8 of my email contacts (which it never downloaded in the past) but nothing else. I added a phone number to my Q10 this morning and then checked my Gmail on my computer and it DID sync - but when I renamed the contact on my Gmail it hasn't pushed this change back to my Q10 (it has created a duplicate entry).

Also some of the other phone numbers I have added to my Q10 haven't synced to my Gmail.

What the heck is going on? How is any consumer supposed to understand this mess? The Q10 should push my contacts to the cloud and restore them via BlackBerry Protect or BlackBerry ID.

Since it seems incapable of doing that, please could anybody recommend the safest (most reliable) way to sync contacts so I never lose them like this again?
    12-28-13 02:19 PM
    The contacts in your Gmail account should be sent to your phone. And any changes you make on your computer should be reflected on your phone. Make sure your acct is set to sync the contacts. I also downloaded ContactsX and had it back up all my contacts and exported a copy of the contacts on my SD card. That way I can restore if my email account fails or if you have local contacts you have added that don't get backed up.
    cfoxx likes this.
    12-28-13 02:37 PM
    did you notice that when you are adding a contact, you can attach the contact to your sim, email or phone?
    have you been attaching the contacts properly? its easy to come here and blame BB but have you been doing the right thing?

BB doesn't back up contacts attached to email or sim card and its your responsibility to set up sync frequency with your email plus you can initiate sync manually just to be sure changes are properly backed up to the web
    12-28-13 02:38 PM
    I discovered that contacts are only sent to my Gmail if I manually make a brand new contact.

So if, for example, I added your name and number to my phone it would get sent to Gmail.

If I added your number to an existing Facebook contact in my contacts app, or edited a contact imported from my old 9900, it doesn't get synced.

Awful system.

I will download ContactsX, thank you for the advice.
    12-28-13 02:40 PM
    did you notice that when you are adding a contact, you can attach the contact to your sim, email or phone? have you been attaching the contacts properly?
    I have NEVER seen that option when adding a contact. Where is it?
    12-28-13 02:42 PM
    Hey everyone - I wanted to ask what the best way is to set up contact syncing. It should be easy but I was really disappointed when I backed up my Q10 yesterday, wiped it and 'restored' it to discover that the BlackBerry Link software doesn't back up your contacts. As a result I have lost all my phone numbers - very, very disappointing.

I remember as far back at my 9700 that BlackBerry Protect would even store a copy of your contacts. How stupid that BB10 can't do this.

So what's the best way for me to prevent this happening again? I have switched on 'Contact sync' with my Gmail account (in fact, this WAS switched on before I wiped my handset, but evidently my BlackBerry never sent any of my contacts over to my Gmail account). Since I switched it on again on my wiped Q10, it has downloaded 8 of my email contacts (which it never downloaded in the past) but nothing else. I added a phone number to my Q10 this morning and then checked my Gmail on my computer and it DID sync - but when I renamed the contact on my Gmail it hasn't pushed this change back to my Q10 (it has created a duplicate entry).

Also some of the other phone numbers I have added to my Q10 haven't synced to my Gmail.

What the heck is going on? How is any consumer supposed to understand this mess? The Q10 should push my contacts to the cloud and restore them via BlackBerry Protect or BlackBerry ID.

Since it seems incapable of doing that, please could anybody recommend the safest (most reliable) way to sync contacts so I never lose them like this again?
    Link does save your contacts. They are part of the "settings"

Posted via CB10 on Z30/10.2.1.1925
    cfoxx likes this.
    12-28-13 02:43 PM
    Link does save your contacts. They are part of the "settings"

Hi Wayne,

This is great to know. Unfortunately I can't restore the 'settings' to my Q10 because this part of the backup seems to be what is corrupting the restore in the first place. I remember on my 9700 and 9900 you could restore just the contacts (and messages) - it's a shame this isn't the case anymore.

Thanks, Chris
    12-28-13 02:48 PM
    Hi Wayne,

This is great to know. Unfortunately I can't restore the 'settings' to my Q10 because this part of the backup seems to be what is corrupting the restore in the first place. I remember on my 9700 and 9900 you could restore just the contacts (and messages) - it's a shame this isn't the case anymore.

Thanks, Chris
    Sorry to hear that, are you running a leak? What error are you getting when you try to restore settings?

12-28-13 02:50 PM
    Sorry to hear that, are you running a leak? What error are you getting when you try to restore settings?
    I've never installed a leak. In short, I woke up one morning and my Q10 would not accept any screen 'presses', only swipes. I couldn't open apps etc. If I rebooted the phone I could 'touch' the loading screen and show the loading % just fine, but as soon as the hub had initialised the phone wouldn't let me press any on-screen buttons. The full description is here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...trange-888063/

I have wiped the phone twice and if I restore either the Settings or the Application Data via link, it ends up 'broken' again like it was before.

It had been becoming progressively more buggy over the last two weeks come to think of it, with things like message pop-ups displaying all messed up.
    12-28-13 02:54 PM
    I've never installed a leak. In short, I woke up one morning and my Q10 would not accept any screen 'presses', only swipes. I couldn't open apps etc. If I rebooted the phone I could 'touch' the loading screen and show the loading % just fine, but as soon as the hub had initialised the phone wouldn't let me press any on-screen buttons. The full description is here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...trange-888063/

I have wiped the phone twice and if I restore either the Settings or the Application Data via link, it ends up 'broken' again like it was before.

It had been becoming progressively more buggy over the last two weeks come to think of it, with things like message pop-ups displaying all messed up.
    OK, I would try a full restore and see if you could install contactx and back up the contacts before the phone messes up again. Good luck

12-28-13 02:56 PM
    Use Fire Chest Backup. No wires. No PC. No messing around.

It's free in BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 04:47 PM
    I used fire chest. But my contacts after restore was still a mess. Contacts merging, missing, renamed.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 05:54 PM
    Sounds like a contact linking issue. No app, Fire Chest Backup included, will backup contact links which means, for example, Facebook and Twitter contacts are not backed up. If you are big on contact links then restoring may result in 'duplicates' and 'missing' contacts depending on your contact situation.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 06:25 PM