Hi,

I have a curious problem.

There was a note I had in the Remember app. Somehow the contents became blank, however when you look at the list of notes, the snippet beneath the note title still displays the first line of the old note, although once you open the note, the inside is empty.

I have experimented with universal search on the device using phrases and keywords (beyond the first line and in fact from any part of the old content) from the missing note that I remember by heart - and the search engine points me to that note! However, clicking on it - opens the note, which still shows empty.

This led me to believe that either 1) search has cached the entire contents of the note and this info sits in some search cache file, or 2) there is some cached old version of the note that is somehow not reachable through the interface of the remember app.

I have SSH'ed into the device as a devuser, and indeed I think I may have stumbled upon candidate cache files for both search and remember app - however even for read access one requires root priviliges - which, as we know, is not a possibility wih BB.

I have backed up the Settings part of the device through PC, deleted the old note (decided to take the risk in hope this will lead to a way of localizing the problem), then restored Settings - and indeed the old empty note reappeared on the device together with the ability to ping its old contents through the search function. I wanted to examine the backup file directly, but to my knowledge there is no .bbb reader software in existence for BB OS10 at this point.

My question of course is, given the importance of the note contents for me, - is there a way to extract the cached contents or somehow restore the note naturally?

Kind regards,
    Anuar
    Last edited by anuario1; 12-14-14 at 04:27 AM.
    12-12-14 12:57 AM
    I have this same issue. Any progress? On Z10 STL100-3. I just loaded the 10.3.1.1949 leak. I restored the link backup except for the BlackBerry runtime. I tried rebooting. Should I try an earlier backup and just restore remember? Strange how some of the information shows up in the 'preview', but it's not in the folder...
    01-02-15 12:07 PM
    Does it look something like this:

How to recover lost contents from a note in Remember app?-img_20150102_181510.png

If so, it could be because there are a whole bunch of blank lines at the end of the note...
    01-02-15 12:20 PM
    Looks like this before clicking on the individual note:
    How to recover lost contents from a note in Remember app?-img_20150102_113821.png
    Then, inside the note 'additional information is blank:
    How to recover lost contents from a note in Remember app?-img_20150102_113835.png
    01-02-15 12:56 PM
    Fair enough. And when you edit the note what does it look like?
    01-02-15 02:05 PM
    Wow. When I try to edit (I just begin typing in the field) then hit 'save', it doesn't show the new content in the preview or in the file. Title can't change either. I basically can't change it at all. BUT - If I click on the folder location (at the bottom when editing), and choose the same folder, I lose the preview information and any information that should have been in the note.
    01-02-15 02:16 PM
    Looks like a bug Ok.
    Only thing I could suggest if there were important notes that you needed to recover, would be to install an app that can backup the notes, preferably to a human readable format. You might get lucky and find that the note is visible in the backup.
    Maybe someone else will chime in with more ideas...
    gusmuh likes this.
    01-02-15 02:59 PM
    Thank you! I looked at my evernote, and most of it is there, though some more recent things are still missing. I think I remember having to separately re-create each folder as an evernote folder by creating a new folder, then pasting the contents into it. Tedious. I couldn't just make the BB notes Evernote notes. Maybe I just use Evernote from now on, though it doesn't blend with the os quite as well.
    01-02-15 04:43 PM
    I use the Reminder app Notes a lot on my BB Classic for putting down my thoughts especially when I'm on the road and can't really write in a book.
    I had this same problem yesterday and lost a very important part of my unpublished work. It drove me really crazy that I had to stay up this morning to find a fix online. Eventually I did. So here it is.
    I came across an app recommendation on reddit.com that saved the day for me.
    Just download "All-notes Backup" from the Blackberry World. When you are done installing do a backup of all your notes. They will be saved in a single text file in your documents folder.
    Open the note with the missing content and you'll find the hidden text revealed and intact. Be sure to save the backup file on your mail, dropbox or something else. Will really come in handy.
    Hope this helps someone.
    11-04-18 08:28 PM