Hi guys.

I recently got a card reader which allows me to take payments on the go and is compatible with an ipad so I managed to pick up the air for a bargin and it's all set up but, apple has this thing where I can't just save documents like I do on android/blackberry and open then using a simple file manager etc. Now, when I recieve emails apple just seems to 'download' the attachment but it's only accesable from the email (I'm talking about documents here), and the way apple keep pushing to access my documents is through a cloud storage service... HA!!! I can log into my email through safari the same way I do on my computer online through a control panel, so on a ipad air would u think that is safe to do? Like access my important files etc using safari? Because especially if I try open them it doesnt show me where it saves and it's just like :/

P.s I have not set up my work email through the mail built in Apple application.

( I know this is about Apple but I want to ask blackberry users as we are the most cautious regarding security)

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Blue Hef; 09-02-14 at 03:34 PM.
    Techno-Emigre likes this.
    09-02-14 03:23 PM
    You know this is Crackberry right?

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 03:31 PM
    You know this is Crackberry right?

Posted via CB10
    Really? Wow man thanks.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 03:33 PM
    You're welcome, just thought you would get a more detailed response from one of the iforums.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 03:36 PM
    You're welcome, just thought you would get a more detailed response from one of the iforums.

Posted via CB10
    But blackberry users are the most concious regarding security and many blackberry users also have or have had, an android or apple device. I asked regarding dropbox/box last week and got 40 responses lol. I'd rather post security questions on a blackberry forum.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 03:41 PM
    Aha, I see your angle,
    It will be interesting to see what the response will be

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 03:46 PM
    Analogy: it's mail is just like outlook.

As long as you don't save the attachment, you only have it in outlook.

There is no easy way to access your files or get them in any other way on an iPhone..... no file system, no way to save it.....

When you go through safari, then you can download the file with the respective app.

It is saved "somewhere" on the phone.....

Only way to get it out is via iTunes....

Cloud storage.... many like Google drive..... when you open stuff, it is stored within Google drive as well for easy retrieval.... maybe this changed with the latest os....

From a few years back I have the following story:

Never had an iPhone, however noticed that pain, when a friend of mine wanted to have an mp3 of her son singing on her phone.....
    I took the recording with my Bold 9900 and sent it via email.....

The next day she asked me if I could get it on her phone.................... What a pain.....I could not believe it..... install iTunes on my laptop, connect iPhone, "sync" the song over.... no way to get it out of the mailbox onto the player....

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 03:51 PM
    Aha, I see your angle,
    It will be interesting to see what the response will be

Posted via CB10
    Haha indeed!

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 03:56 PM

There is no easy way to access your files or get them in any other way on an iPhone..... no file system, no way to save it.....

When you go through safari, then you can download the file with the respective app.

Cloud storage.... many like Google drive..... when you open stuff, it is stored within Google drive as well for easy retrieval.... maybe this changed with the latest os....

Never had an iPhone, however noticed that pain, when a friend of mine wanted to have an mp3 of her son singing on her phone.....

The next day she asked me if I could get it on her phone.................... What a pain.....I could not believe it..... install iTunes on my laptop, connect iPhone, "sync" the song over.... no way to get it out of the mailbox onto the player....

Posted via CB10
    Oh god!

Tell me about it!!!

But thanks for saying how to get the stuff off the ipad ill do that now.

And cloud storage is a big no no more me, after asking how the other BlackBerry users feel about it theirs no chance I'll use it for my business documents.

Ohh it's just soooo annoying. I wish blackberry did a new os 10 tablet or android wasn't soooo flawed..

And this 'somewhere' is definitely my issue..

Would you trust apple with your sensitive documents? Even though it's stored on the device and not cloud?

Btw heard about that icloud 'celebrity' scandal?

Lol...

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 04:00 PM
    I know people who use those for business and its about the only affordable way for a very small business to take direct payments other than cash.

Personally I would never use my card in one. To start, they work with the mag stripe. Second they only work on Android or iOS. I won't have any of my sensitive data on an Android phone. iOS could probably be made secure, but I would never know what else the device is being used for that would put my data at risk.

Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 04:07 PM
    09-02-14 04:08 PM
    Hi guys.

I recently got a card reader which allows me to take payments on the go and is compatible with an ipad so I managed to pick up the air for a bargin and it's all set up but, apple has this thing where I can't just save documents like I do on android/blackberry and open then using a simple file manager etc. Now, when I recieve emails apple just seems to 'download' the attachment but it's only accesable from the email (I'm talking about documents here), and the way apple keep pushing to access my documents is through a cloud storage service... HA!!! I can log into my email through safari the same way I do on my computer online through a control panel, so on a ipad air would u think that is safe to do? Like access my important files etc using safari? Because especially if I try open them it doesnt show me where it saves and it's just like :/

P.s I have not set up my work email through the mail built in Apple application.

( I know this is about Apple but I want to ask blackberry users as we are the most cautious regarding security)

Posted via CB10
    If you are working with sensitive documents I recommend you to use a complex device password with your ipad (not the simple 4 digit one) encryption on iOS devices are linked to the device password.

Also use 2-step verification for icloud matters. Or better yet dont use them at all.

There are 3rd party apps which does file handling on iOS. Some are able to be password protected like isafebox and also offer encryption.

What you do it download attachments using your mail app and then "share" it to isafebox or similar apps.

This way you can fine the files easily and have piece of mind as far as security is concerned.

Also some apps claim to use AES-256bit encryption which is great so look out for these.

I know very little of portable card readers but I would be very wary of them.

Posted via CB10
    Blue Hef and kbz1960 like this.
    09-02-14 04:25 PM
    I know people who use those for business and its about the only affordable way for a very small business to take direct payments other than cash.

Personally I would never use my card in one. To start, they work with the mag stripe. Second they only work on Android or iOS. I won't have any of my sensitive data on an Android phone. iOS could probably be made secure, but I would never know what else the device is being used for that would put my data at risk.

Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Fair point.

But the one we are using does not store any data on the devices so hopefully people are more willing to accept us using it.

The izettle is very similar to a traditional terminal provided by worldpay etc, details can be also entered manually or just inserted like a standard chip / pin, the swiping of a card is also possible but the customer needs to sign for it.

I am the same regarding android, I have a note 3 and store nothing sensitive onit, no chance.

Posted via CB10
    Techno-Emigre likes this.
    09-02-14 04:26 PM
    If you are working with sensitive documents I recommend you to use a complex device password with your ipad (not the simple 4 digit one) encryption on iOS devices are linked to the device password.

Also use 2-step verification for icloud matters. Or better yet dont use them at all.

There are 3rd party apps which does file handling on iOS. Some are able to be password protected like isafebox and also offer encryption.

What you do it download attachments using your mail app and then "share" it to isafebox or similar apps.

This way you can fine the files easily and have piece of mind as far as security is concerned.

Also some apps claim to use AES-256bit encryption which is great so look out for these.

I know very little of portable card readers but I would be very wary of them.

Posted via CB10
    Brilliant. I will check this out for sure. I am not using I cloud email for the sensitive documents, just their for apple apps etc, and am using 'cloudmagic' for the imap email we use for my company.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 04:28 PM
    Tried it but not exactly what I need, thank you though

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 05:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    I just tried it with itunes but couldn't get the documents off or view them.

Hmmm... any ideas?

I'm just stuck, the files onit are my concern, as I can't acess them it's like... ????

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 05:34 PM
    I wouldn't like that either. I think I read, if yours gets updated, the next iOS is going to have some kind of file manager.
    09-02-14 05:42 PM
    I wouldn't like that either. I think I read, if yours gets updated, the next iOS is going to have some kind of file manager.
    Oh god please be true lol.

If blackberry just released a good spec tablet in the same class as the passport for e.g it would be perfect.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-02-14 06:04 PM
    i NEVER let a retailer swipe my card on a phone card swipe devise! Who knows were the info goes!
    acovey likes this.
    09-02-14 08:31 PM
    Fair point.

But the one we are using does not store any data on the devices so hopefully people are more willing to accept us using it.

The izettle is very similar to a traditional terminal provided by worldpay etc, details can be also entered manually or just inserted like a standard chip / pin, the swiping of a card is also possible but the customer needs to sign for it.

I am the same regarding android, I have a note 3 and store nothing sensitive onit, no chance.

Posted via CB10
    I hadn't seen the Izettle before. Looks like it takes the chip, but haven't found anything about it on the website. That at least is up to date.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 08:34 PM
    If it's through email it's only as strong as your email provider's email and as strong as the password security is on your iPad.
    09-02-14 09:56 PM
    I've given away my ipad lol, just don't trust Apple.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 03:32 PM
    Regarding cloud service... if the file or folder is encrypted with let's say truecrypt, does it really matter if the cloud gets hacked?

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 04:02 PM
    Regarding cloud service... if the file or folder is encrypted with let's say truecrypt, does it really matter if the cloud gets hacked?

Posted via CB10
    It depends on how good your Truecrypt keys are, but if you followed the advice the application gives I would say it doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    FCSC likes this.
    09-03-14 09:21 PM