So we all know that BlackBerry plans on covering the spectrum, from high end to low end, with new BB10 devices. It's smart, it makes sense and its essential for the long term global success of the company.

We've seen some leaks of the R-series device which is meant to be a mid-tier device, akin to the curves. Obviously it'll have lower specs, but how low can they truly get and still deliver a solid user experience. And then what about the entry-level devices? If the R series has 1 GB of ram, will the entry-level have 500 mb (i highly doubt that)?

How much lower can BB bring the specs and still provide the same experience? Where do you think the cuts will come to lower price but maintain usability. Nokia has apparently done well with its Lumia 520 device, though i haven't used it myself. But with QNX being touted as a supremely stable, efficient and crash free OS i'd expect they ought to be able to match those specs, at the very least.

Im genuinely curious as to how far they can take it before it starts to deteriorate the experience. So chime in and tell us what you'd like to see in a low-end BB10 device, and what you think it could do without. And if you have hardware/software experience, plz do share your thoughts on the practicality of it all.
    04-11-13 10:23 AM
    Maybe they'll disable active frames, and limit open apps to four, for example?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 10:58 AM
    I too wonder about this. Two gigs of ram is still a lot, and I have a feeling that multitasking is a heavy user of RAM (i could be wrong). QNX may be using a lot of that 2gb, and if it's lower, then there may be the same stuttering and low memory problems of webOS (if anyone is familiar with that annoyance). I hope I'm wrong. Hopefully 1gb is sufficient.
    04-11-13 11:00 AM
    I don't think the 2gb in z10 was a flippant decision to match the competition. If it was, they would have used gorilla glass and a faster processor. Or, it could have been that RAM is cheaper than a faster processor so they went that route. I don't know; just thoughts.
    04-11-13 11:03 AM
    I cant see them going lower spec than the r series. Think that will be the entry level

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 11:23 AM
    BlackBerry already said they aren't making low end devices.

They are focusing on a high range (Z10) a mid range (R10) and QWERTY (Q10)

Do your homework and see for yourself.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 11:24 AM
    I was actually discussing this with a friend the other day. There are few areas where BlackBerry can truly cut corners on a lower end model.

CPU - has to be dual core, but maybe 1ghz to save some money.

Ram - I don't know how they are going to handle this one. I'd prefer them put 2GB of ram to future proof the device and keep it nice and smooth, but could see them drop it to 1GB. Especially since that's what the PlayBook has and we all know BB10 will be coming out on that at some point.

Camera - they'll probably put in a 5MP to save some money.

Screen - From what BlackBerry has said then it will probably be the same resolution as the Q10 which will be nice. Not sure if they'll have a lower quality screen to save money or use the same one just to simplify the ordering process.

Storage - my guess is they drop the storage to 4-8GB internal and hopefully still have an SD slot.

Battery - lower capacity than the Q10. Maybe they'll use the 1800mah batteries or do something else.

Build Quality/Materials - they won't be using all premium material, all plastic would be my guess and this makes sense to cut down on costs.

Whatever BlackBerry decides to do I hope they bring out a quality device and they don't cripple the BB10 experience. The customers that get the entry level today could very well get the high end tomorrow if they enjoy the experience enough. I also see BlackBerry making lower margins on the lower end models which only makes sense. It'll be worth it to get it into more peoples hands and that'll get more developers and apps for all the BB10 fans.

Posted via CB10
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    04-11-13 11:32 AM
    I was actually discussing this with a friend the other day. There are few areas where BlackBerry can truly cut corners on a lower end model.

CPU - has to be dual core, but maybe 1ghz to save some money.

Ram - I don't know how they are going to handle this one. I'd prefer them put 2GB of ram to future proof the device and keep it nice and smooth, but could see them drop it to 1GB. Especially since that's what the PlayBook has and we all know BB10 will be coming out on that at some point.

Camera - they'll probably put in a 5MP to save some money.

Screen - From what BlackBerry has said then it will probably be the same resolution as the Q10 which will be nice. Not sure if they'll have a lower quality screen to save money or use the same one just to simplify the ordering process.

Storage - my guess is they drop the storage to 4-8GB internal and hopefully still have an SD slot.

Battery - lower capacity than the Q10. Maybe they'll use the 1800mah batteries or do something else.

Build Quality/Materials - they won't be using all premium material, all plastic would be my guess and this makes sense to cut down on costs.

Whatever BlackBerry decides to do I hope they bring out a quality device and they don't cripple the BB10 experience. The customers that get the entry level today could very well get the high end tomorrow if they enjoy the experience enough. I also see BlackBerry making lower margins on the lower end models which only makes sense. It'll be worth it to get it into more peoples hands and that'll get more developers and apps for all the BB10 fans.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know how the ram can be less then 1 gb. Seeing as how every time I check free memory it always around 700-800mb free out of 2gb and that's with all the active frames closed I never leave any on if I don't use it.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 12:19 PM
    My ram is always minimum 1.2 GB free
    Anyways, if they can make phones that run really smooth on BB10 with 2 GB of RAM and possibly the r-series with 1 GB of RAM, then they should be able to make BB10 on PB with a bit or orientation tweaks
    04-11-13 12:40 PM
    BlackBerry already said they aren't making low end devices.

They are focusing on a high range (Z10) a mid range (R10) and QWERTY (Q10)

Do your homework and see for yourself.

Posted via CB10
    I know Heins has said he wont be producing $50 phones to compete with android, but i dont remember BB every specifically saying no low end models. Every thing ive seen so far, they've mentioned a desire to do "mid and low tier" devices.

If you have information to the contrary, do let me know.
    04-11-13 12:46 PM
    I hope BlackBerry changes their business strategy. Nokia is making a killing by releasing low end devices. It shouldn't be difficult, once headless apps come, to limit the number of active frames.
    04-11-13 02:43 PM
    I'm sincerely hoping that photoshopped 'leaked' version of the R series was someone's idea of a sick joke because it was hideous.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    04-11-13 03:06 PM