How can I set up my Z10 not to delete email messages from my inbox as soon as my computer downloads them and deletes them from the server? I've selected manual sync on the email setup page but my messages are still disappearing.

Thanks in advance.
    04-14-13 11:50 AM
    I guess the real question is what email do you have, GMail, Yahoo, etc.?
    Also when you set it up, was it done as IMAP or POP or Exchange?
    04-14-13 02:48 PM
    I've set up the phone to pick up email from two business addresses that use my company's domain name. For one of them, I entered the IMAP server, for the other the POP server. I selected "Manual" sync interval for both. Messages sent to both addresses are disappearing from my Z10 as soon as my email client on my PC picks them up from the server. This never happened with my old Torch; messages stayed in my inbox until I deleted them.

Thanks for your help with this.
    04-14-13 03:19 PM
    Do you have your messages set up on your email server to delete after they are downloaded? From what I understand the Z10 uses true sync now, no bis anymore. So before when the email was copied to your phone it could then be treated like a separate entity. You could delete on the phone and not on the server. Now it's not like that. Whatever you do on the phone is mirrored on the server and vice versa. So if you have your email server set to delete the messages after downloading them, then I'm guessing they would delete on the phone as well.

There is a good thread here with lots of info and people who know way more about how it works than me. Search for a thread with 'delete on handheld ' in the title.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 09:21 PM
    Do you have your messages set up on your email server to delete after they are downloaded? ...

There is a good thread here with lots of info and people who know way more about how it works than me. Search for a thread with 'delete on handheld ' in the title.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I have my email accounts set up as POP3 accounts; messages are downloaded to my computer and automatically deleted from the server. I receive many large attachments, so I can't just leave messages on the server; it would quickly fill up. However, I would like to be able to access recent messages on my phone, even if they are no longer on the server. In the past, it was no problem to keep messages on my phone until I deleted them.

I looked at the "delete on handheld" thread; thanks for directing me there. While the people there generally have the opposite complaint (they want to keep messages on the server and delete them from the phone) the discussion there makes it fairly clear that there is no solution to my problem; I have to sync whether I want to or not. Anyhow, I will post my question there just in case someone has any ideas. I hope BB can fix this or someone can come up with a workaround.

Thanks for your help with this.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    04-14-13 10:45 PM
    There are various ways to deal with this.

If you're married to POP mail, set your desktop client not to delete messages and do all your message deletions on your handheld.

If you can switch to IMAP or EAS, then all you have to do is FILE your messages into another folder rather than delete them or save them locally. The problem with saving is you end up with duplicates and that ends up being a morass IMHO because it's very easy to forget what you replied to or what you didn't and which message has been acted-upon or not etc.

There is one glitch with the "file" methodology right now and that is that the device only stores 30 days of history on synced email systems. That will be lengthened in an OS update scheduled for release around the end of this month. If you are using an EAS protocol to connect to email, then many MS Exchange servers running EAS allow you to do a "remote search" for emails beyond the "sync horizon".
    04-15-13 08:50 AM
    If you're married to POP mail, set your desktop client not to delete messages and do all your message deletions on your handheld..
    So simple and obvious. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks!
    04-15-13 09:19 AM
    If you're married to POP mail, set your desktop client not to delete messages and do all your message deletions on your handheld..
    Actually, maybe not so simple. I don't see a "delete prior to" function in BB10. Does it exist, or would I have to delete all messages from the handset one by one?
    04-15-13 10:11 AM
    Hold on the date then select delete prior, or you can select multiples.
    Actually, maybe not so simple. I don't see a "delete prior to" function in BB10. Does it exist, or would I have to delete all messages from the handset one by one?
    04-15-13 10:22 AM
    Hold on the date then select delete prior, or you can select multiples.
    Thanks a million!
    04-15-13 10:59 AM
    This is a great suggestion. My understanding of IMAP (and I could be wrong) is that to gain access your files or folders you must have connectivity to access the IMAP SERVER. If you do not have connectivity are the files and folders on you DEVICE accessible for reference purposes?

I know using Drop Box on my computer I have all of my files in a directory on the computer. If I make a change to a file without connectivity the files are updated once connectivity is re-established. Does Q10 actually store emails on the device under IMAP account or are they only on the server to be viewed by the device?
    08-03-13 06:25 PM
    This is a great suggestion. My understanding of IMAP (and I could be wrong) is that to gain access your files or folders you must have connectivity to access the IMAP SERVER. If you do not have connectivity are the files and folders on you DEVICE accessible for reference purposes?

That depends on how the email client is designed. I believe most IMAP clients will cache copies of the server mailbox locally, but for example in the case of BlackBerry 10, the OS originally would only retrieve and cache the most recent 30 days of messages. In recent OS versions that limit can be removed. (With potentially dire consequences if the person doing so has a massive IMAP mailbox, which is probably one of the reasons why they didn't originally allow that.)
    08-04-13 09:04 PM