It does work, many people use it.

How many messages do you have in your inbox?

Search works too, but that depends on the server side as well. (I have heard some people mention that some recent 10.1 builds have some issues with remote search. If so, they will probably address that shortly.)
    I have thousands of emails. Search does not work. I have it working with other mobile OS, and had never worked for 10.0 or 10.1

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 06:50 PM
    Not true with Exchange ActiveSync connections. And Blackberry 10 doesn't support "forever" on IMAP connections yet anyway. What I don't know about is whether you will get 90 days from the time of upgrading a device from 10.0.x.x to 10.1.x.x on an existing IMAP account on BB10. My impression (2nd-hand, I don't have 10.1 yet) is that it does not. You would have to re-setup the account and select 90 days as the "Initial Retrieval Amount".

But as I have repeatedly pointed-out, things are not simple. Some servers are configured not to allow "forever" on a syncing device anyway. And many servers will kick a device off if they are loading it down too much, and trying to sync 40,000 messages in a folder is a good example of that.
    Sorry I was talking about outlook.com emails. Btw even if the phone try to delete emails, outlook.com server wouldn't let it gets deleted, it will actually moves it to a folder.

I'm running 10.1.0.2342, I had to setup the account from scratch, and I did see the option to get the emails kept forever during setup.

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10
    05-26-13 07:08 PM
    If they just figured out imap server search I doubt anyone would care anymore

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 04:40 AM

Perhaps, though I'm not sure the issue is that they can't figure it out, they may just have other priorities.
    05-28-13 08:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    I doubt IMAP would be a solution for everyone since even the BES 10 uses ActiveSync on the back-end and I have already had one of my pilot users ask me how they can go beyond 30 days but not keeping *everything* on their device. They share Omnitech's concern that they don't want 40,000 messages of a 4 gig mailbox synched to their device.

I have asked for BlackBerry enhancement requests so that we can control what folder(s) the remote search is performed in and how far back in time the remote search is performed. These are on top of the bug report DT 715426 where BB 10 devices are setting a 60 day limit on remote search requests.

My hopes are once that all 3 of these have been addressed, 30 days would be more than sufficient to have on the device. Honestly I kept my old Windows Mobile 6.5 device using ActiveSync at like 7 days which was more than enough since remote search worked exactly how you would want it (where and how far back were definable in addition to the what).
    06-01-13 09:26 AM
    Honestly I kept my old Windows Mobile 6.5 device using ActiveSync at like 7 days which was more than enough since remote search worked exactly how you would want it (where and how far back were definable in addition to the what).

BTW - someone recently added Windows Phone 8 to the wikipedia EAS client comparison table, and according to that it still is missing some of the EAS features WP6.5 had, though this time it appears to have added a couple too.
    06-01-13 05:39 PM
    Perhaps, though I'm not sure the issue is that they can't figure it out, they may just have other priorities.
    For what it's worth - legacy Blackberry devices using BIS can still remotely search Gmail mailboxes, which is probably happening over IMAP via the BIS proxy servers, but all that was based on custom BIS "plugins" that often designed around proprietary aspects of the mail systems in question.

Google in particular has a bad habit of "extending" publicly-documented protocols in ways that don't interoperate or give full functionality unless you code specifically to Google's "enhancements".
    06-01-13 05:42 PM
    Thank you for this, Omnitech.

Strange things happen overnight when I go to bed! I upgraded to 10.1.0.273 in May but it was overnight that my old emails were all deleted leaving me only 7 days worth of emails. Thanks to this thread and your post that I promptly deleted my email accounts and re-setup, selecting the Advanced settings to get to "Initial Retrieval Amount".

Not true with Exchange ActiveSync connections. And Blackberry 10 doesn't support "forever" on IMAP connections yet anyway. What I don't know about is whether you will get 90 days from the time of upgrading a device from 10.0.x.x to 10.1.x.x on an existing IMAP account on BB10. My impression (2nd-hand, I don't have 10.1 yet) is that it does not. You would have to re-setup the account and select 90 days as the "Initial Retrieval Amount".

But as I have repeatedly pointed-out, things are not simple. Some servers are configured not to allow "forever" on a syncing device anyway. And many servers will kick a device off if they are loading it down too much, and trying to sync 40,000 messages in a folder is a good example of that.
    06-10-13 06:20 PM
33 12