I am curious as to how "sharing" works in BB10. Or to be more specific, why does the menu for "sharing" change depending on what you are doing.

To clarify, I recently downloaded FancyTran, an app for translation software. It works very well. On a whim, I noticed that if I am browsing the internet with the browser and I highlight a word from the website, I can press the Share button and share that word with FancyTran which will open up the app and translate the word into whatever text I want it to be translated to.

In the USA Today app, if i am reading a news story, I can highlight a word, but if I press the "share" button at the bottom of the list, I can not send it to FancyTran. But if I highlight a word and do a "long press", I get the "share" icon that opens from the right hand side of the window and from there, I can send that word to FancyTran to translate. Presumably, this is because in this app, the "share" button at the bottom of the app is to send the entire article to email, twitter, etc., while the "share" button that opens to the left of the app is to share a word to one of the apps associated in the share list (confusing I know).

To add to the confusion, if I am receiving a text message, bbm message, or email, I can not "share" a word or phrase to FancyTran as pressing the share button from within these apps does not give me an option to send to FancyTran.

So, I am curious as to why there seems to be different share lists, i.e., why does, in this case, FancyTran, show up when using the browser or some other apps but not from within any of the messaging apps. Would this be a developer coding thing or is this a Blackberry thing? Basically, I'm trying to understand the rhyme and reason as to what apps, and when can apps, appear in the share list and what the rules are as to how information is transferred from one app to another.

PS - I am using FancyTran as it's the only app so far that I've downloaded that I saw appear in the Share List. Presumably, there are others but I haven't come across any yet.
    03-26-13 12:40 AM
    Sharing can be set either to certain, developer-set options, or it can be wide open and available to every app that implements the Sharing API.

One of my favorites is the ability to share a web address to the Remember app. You might want to note a page down somewhere for a specific reason, but you might not want to actually bookmark it. Sharing it to Remember gives you a chance to associate the link with a particular task or project.
    spike12 and Darlaten like this.
    03-26-13 12:53 AM