How does it do it? I am constantly impressed by its ability to let me know of accidents and traffic jams on my way when it happens. What is the process for that?

Posted via CB10
    06-10-16 05:29 PM
    I believe the maps are provided by TomTom and they would implement this technology in all of their satnavs. I guess their satnavs would respond information to them as they're in use on the average speed in particular areas and they can generate a picture on traffic congestion similarly?

It would be interesting to know how it works properly and where google get their information from

Posted via CB10
    06-10-16 06:31 PM
    Large metropolitan centres publish this type of data specifically to aid in traffic flow. On top of that both Google and BlackBerry collect movement data. You may recall this setting.

How does BB10 Maps know of accidents and traffic jams?-img_20160610_203305.png

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    skstrials likes this.
    06-10-16 07:33 PM
    Though it's often slow.. I'll be in traffic and it'll tell me there is congestion ahead? Or a traffic accident is a mile up but there isn't anything.
    It's also ANNOYING when it tells me to get on the freeway I'm already on like a few miles ahead or to stay on the left/right lane when my path is very long.

Posted via my Expired Passport
    06-10-16 08:37 PM
    Though it's often slow.. I'll be in traffic and it'll tell me there is congestion ahead? Or a traffic accident is a mile up but there isn't anything.
    It's also ANNOYING when it tells me to get on the freeway I'm already on like a few miles ahead or to stay on the left/right lane when my path is very long.
    That's because BB doesn't have enough data points to collect timely data. They do have Highway Patrol/State Police traffic info feeds and things like that, but they don't get nearly as much traffic data from users because there aren't many other users (and some may have reporting disabled).

The reason Google Maps is so good is because almost everyone actively using Google Maps is sending back data (and Waze users are also integrated, so reported accidents, road hazards, etc. all show up on the maps). Google's data is better than anyone else's simply because they have, by far, the most data to work with, and they've had a decade or more to optimize what they do with that data to get the most correct traffic data back to the Maps to aid Maps users (and Google Now users, etc.)
    06-10-16 08:56 PM